Fife Derby: Pars vs Rovers - Sat 26th August

Time to get this started.

I know the wee team are busy getting ready for their 3-1 defeat to Hibs tomorrow but they can join in later.

Been encouraged with our start to the season, especially that we seem to have retained the qualities that made us successful last year.

Raith appear to be on an upward curve with the club given a much-needed jolt of energy by new ownership. Hopefully that will translate into a big following next weekend and a great atmosphere inside EEP.

A win would be fantastic but I’ll go 1-1.

Difficult game to call right now, as we’re still potentially a wee bit thin if we pick up a niggle at CB or DM. Bibs game will give us a good idea of where this particular train is headed, and while I’m optimistic in general, any specific match is always a possible nasty spill. Given we’ve sold the small allocation for Hibs with speed and enthusiasm, a good result there should grant your wish with regards to travelling support.

Edited by TxRover

6 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Not having this. You must have one of the biggest squads in the league.

That doesn't mean we have ready made replacements in every single position though. Barring any injuries picked up it will be maybe the second time we'll have been able to fill the bench so far. We're very middle and top heavy with what we do have though. 

Missing the game as I’ve got a wedding at the Garvock, 2pm kick off. Given it’s about a 5 min walk from the Garvock to East End I had swithered about watching the ceremony then heading over to the game and making it back for the dinner, but the wife made a face with her eyebrows and that put the end to that idea.

Hard to say how this will go. Raith definitely made some good signings but we’re a tough nut to crack, especially at East End. I think we’ll maybe get a signing or two in before then.

A win would be good but I think it’ll be similar to the Falkirk game last September, they win a half, we win a half, see you in October.

2-2.

10 minutes ago, grumswall said:

That doesn't mean we have ready made replacements in every single position though. Barring any injuries picked up it will be maybe the second time we'll have been able to fill the bench so far. We're very middle and top heavy with what we do have though. 

But nobody has ready-made replacements at every position. That would be a totally ridiculous expectation. Not even just at this level.

We haven’t been able to fill a bench once, despite having 3/4 17 year olds on the bench (and one forced into the starting 11 a couple of times) every game. Think Morton only named 3 subs one week. Airdrie’s bench is being filled with kids as well and you’re moaning about not having 2 full starting 11s signed up.

Anyway, onto the game. Think it should be a good one and would probably be good for the neutral. Thought the league cup game was a decent game of football, with both teams having good spells and a number of chances.

Rovers’ strengths seem to be in the attacking areas. Vaughan and Mullin are good players that will cause any defence problems in this league. Murray and Watson are a decent CB pairing at this level too, so it’s not like they’re weak defensively. Murray’s a good manager and will definitely have a game plan to try and break down our defence.

Our main strength is keeping it tight defensively, so we’ll make it tough for them. But if they start committing bodies forward or a full back is slow to track back, we know we’re capable of exploiting any gaps they leave defensively. Think we’ll be looking for McCann and O’Halloran to be running at their full backs whenever we get the ball.

A win would be great here, as I think Rovers will be challenging at the right end of the league this season. But I’d probably take a draw just now, given that we’re without Todd, KRH and Mehmet.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

But nobody has ready-made replacements at every position. That would be a totally ridiculous expectation. Not even just at this level.

We haven’t been able to fill a bench once, despite having 3/4 17 year olds on the bench (and one forced into the starting 11 a couple of times) every game. Think Morton only named 3 subs one week. Airdrie’s bench is being filled with kids as well and you’re moaning about not having 2 full starting 11s signed up.

Entirely fair assessment. We have a cracking squad now and minimal excuses. 

Mehmet and Todd were both good against us last time, the former keeping them in the game twice, so good news they’re both out. When was the last time we won at EPP? Got to think this is our best chance in a long time to get a win - and a win would be a big statement. Looking forward to it. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Yes, however, when you've been playing a midfielder at RB for several weeks you are more aware of depth concerns. Luckily, Millen and Brown are hopefully fully back. but if Watson or Murray gets nicked Sunday, that's likely a 18 y-o starting at CB for us. With no spare depth at DM, we're forced to chose either a formation that's caused us issues. or yet another out of position player if we have a nick there. We also have just the two FB's...for comparison, where's your thin spots?

Looking forward to this, a win would be massive, I fully expect Raith with the squad they have put together to be challenging Dundee United all the way. 

Hopefully McCann is back and if we are lucky KRH to make the bench?

56 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Entirely fair assessment. We have a cracking squad now and minimal excuses. 

Mehmet and Todd were both good against us last time, the former keeping them in the game twice, so good news they’re both out. When was the last time we won at EPP? Got to think this is our best chance in a long time to get a win - and a win would be a big statement. Looking forward to it. 

Pretty much 10 years to the day. Our record there has been nothing short of abysmal. Obviously need to see how we come through against Hibs, but we've got every reason to be confident. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a repeat score of the first game. 

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Pretty much 10 years to the day. Our record there has been nothing short of abysmal. Obviously need to see how we come through against Hibs, but we've got every reason to be confident. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a repeat score of the first game. 

Yeah I can't think of a match at East End over the last few years that we have played even half decent.

Those two matches in their relegation season summed us up. A last minute equaliser to avoid losing to Peter Grant and then one of the most pathetic performances I can recall in that 2-0 midweek game. 

Will wait and see how we do tomorrow in terms of performance and injuries before making any predictions about this one. 

25 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Yes, however, when you've been playing a midfielder at RB for several weeks you are more aware of depth concerns. Luckily, Millen and Brown are hopefully fully back. but if Watson or Murray gets nicked Sunday, that's likely a 18 y-o starting at CB for us. With no spare depth at DM, we're forced to chose either a formation that's caused us issues. or yet another out of position player if we have a nick there. We also have just the two FB's...for comparison, where's your thin spots?

Where’s our thin spots? Em… can we just say everywhere? Our game last week, we had 5 subs. One was an attacking midfielder who joined on loan the day before. Then there was 3 17 year old kids and a keeper who hasn’t played a minute of league football in his career. So we had no cover for any position really. 

We have key players out long-term, which obviously doesn’t help. In terms of senior players, we have 1 RB and 1 LB at the club. We play a back 3 and only have 4 CBs (one of which is first choice in defensive midfield right now, so we’ve had no CBs on the bench). We have numbers in central midfield to be fair. We only have 1 recognised striker at the club though, now that McCann is a first choice winger. Once/if everyone’s fit, we probably have decent depth in attacking midfield/wide roles. But Todd and KRH are huge losses for us and we feel very thin in the attacking midfield/wing roles right now - hence why we’ve had to start a 17 year old kid there in a couple of games so far.

We have some versatile players who can cover more than one role. But we’ve not really got cover for them to be moved out of position, if they need to provide that cover. Fisher is our first choice RCB, but could probably cover RB in a 4. Otoo can play CB, LB and DM. KRH (once fit) can play RWB, through the middle or right wing. Todd (once fit) can play anywhere from central midfield, attacking midfield and wide in a front 3. McCann could cover up front, but I think we’re actively trying to bring in a new striker for cover/competition for Wighton.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

When was the last time we won at EPP? Got to think this is our best chance in a long time to get a win - and a win would be a big statement. Looking forward to it. 

11 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah I can't think of a match at East End over the last few years that we have played even half decent.

Those two matches in their relegation season summed us up. A last minute equaliser to avoid losing to Peter Grant and then one of the most pathetic performances I can recall in that 2-0 midweek game. 

Will wait and see how we do tomorrow in terms of performance and injuries before making any predictions about this one. 

I’m certainly a lot more concerned than I have been ahead of playing you for a while. Unfortunately for us, you don’t have the handicap of having Locke/Hughes/McGlynn as manager anymore. I rate Murray and you have a lot of good players. As I say, I’m expecting a good game and I genuinely believe you’ll be challenging at the top end of the table this season. I’m sure McPake will have us well-drilled and organised though, to make sure you have to work hard if you’re going to break us down.

The league cup game was a good contest and I'd expect this to be as well.  We're probably slightly weaker than that day but hopefully o'halloran now being up to speed will give enough to match the missing todd especially.   Rovers on the otherhand have strengthened since.

As suggested there will be a bit of rovers attack vs our defence going on and that's  a battle both sides will fancy their chances in.

Edited by parsforlife

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

We're still a bit thin defensively if we pick up one or two injuries before the game though, which was the actual point you replied to. Our bench has also had youth players on it to make it up, but yes we have managed to fill it a couple of times as injuries have subsided. Even corr who started in the cup against you had never played above ll level. 

6 minutes ago, grumswall said:

We're still a bit thin defensively if we pick up one or two injuries before the game though, which was the actual point you replied to. Our bench has also had youth players on it to make it up, but yes we have managed to fill it a couple of times as injuries have subsided. Even corr who started in the cup against you had never played above ll level. 

Our bench last week was made up of a total of 5 players. A loan player, who joined the day before, three 17 year old kids and a keeper who hasn’t played a league minute in his career. 

Your bench last week included Shaun Byrne, Ethan Ross, Scott Brown and Scott McGill. Do you honestly not see how ridiculous it is that your claiming your ‘thin squad’ might be an issue in a game against us just now?

4 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Our bench last week was made up of a total of 5 players. A loan player, who joined the day before, three 17 year old kids and a keeper who hasn’t played a league minute in his career. 

Your bench last week included Shaun Byrne, Ethan Ross, Scott Brown and Scott McGill. Do you honestly not see how ridiculous it is that your claiming your ‘thin squad’ might be an issue in a game against us just now?

None of those guys are defenders though. Both teams have injuries, both stretched in some areas. You more than us of course. 

Looking forward to the game, hoping the Raith fans step up and have none of that shit "banter" that was present at the cup game with chants about Bene and Norrie. It's embarrassing.