Fife Derby: Pars vs Rovers - Sat 26th August

I can't get my head around anybody thinking we are good for a run at the title. 

On Millen, I doubt anyone was a bigger critic of him than me in the early stages of last season but he's really been very good for us (cue a horror show this Saturday). 

37 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

On Millen, I doubt anyone was a bigger critic of him than me in the early stages of last season but he's really been very good for us (cue a horror show this Saturday)

That was my thought reading this thread. Folk aren't wrong to be praising him, but it does seem like tempting fate.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

29 minutes ago, timbermill tactician said:

I'm going to stick up for Ross Millen. Never as bad as people made out when he was at the pars.

Pars fans love a scapegoat. He was one in a long line stretching back decades.

Oh no he was bad, in what was our worst season since the 70/80s, he was one of our worst players. Horrendous. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

We haven't scored from many at all, but we've almost exclusively played with zero centre forwards with nobody over 3ft tall in the box during last season, and he's missed most of this season.  

Might be harsh, but I wouldn't have someone down as a great crosser if no one is scoring from their crosses. 

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

On Ross Millen, it’s yet another obvious example that players can improve and be better at different clubs. I don’t think any Rovers fan saw Kyle Benedictus being a defensive lynchpin for a side with one of the best defensive records in the country when he left us but here we are, it happens!

On the first part I fully agree, and it's fair dinkum to Ross Millen that he's knuckled down, worked with what he's got and had a good career. Fair play all around. 

On the second part Benedictus and Millen aren't comparable in there situations, Benedictus dropped down a division to play under a better manager who can set a defence up. At times through his career Benedictus has been good, sometimes very good. For whatever reason it had gone stale at Raith though. I wasn't a fan of the signing at the time but he's been a great captain. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I can't get my head around anybody thinking we are good for a run at the title

Outside of Dundee United I'd say you have the best squad, especially midfield and front options. 

Queens Park maybe edge you? But don't think they have the depth you guys have.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I am the same, I don’t see us as title challengers at all. However, we should definitely be looking for the play offs and I suppose given how tight this league can be, if you’re in the play offs you could well be in the title mix.

I guess from the outside it comes as we have strengthened whilst some of the sides who finished above us last season (Ayr, Partick and Inverness) look to be weaker.

I am actually looking forward to seeing where we’re at this weekend. We’ve been good at Killie and for the most part against Hibs but been poor for decent chunks of the 2 league games. Brown and Byrne should help improve the frailties we saw against Morton and Partick.

My overriding feeling is we have a lot more about us than last season, a defeat might test that faith but a win and positive performance here could go a long way in helping growing that belief amongst the players and support that we can be right up there.

I didn't mind Ross Millen one bit. Far worse players have played for us. Always admired the way he stood up and dispatched the late penalty against Forfar in the play offs. Think he was about 11 at the time.

Don’t know if it’s been discussed but initial allocation of just 900?

Thought that was a bit bizarre, just took 1644 to Hibs and would hope for around 2000 or so at EEP, certainly much more than 9 ton.

Can’t ever recall it being capped before, any particular reason?

12 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Thought that was a bit bizarre, just took 1644 to Hibs and would hope for around 2000 or so at EEP, certainly much more than 9 ton.

Not sure why Raith came out with that number when there was from the sections opened about 1340 tickets available for us.

I'm sure if/when that sells the other two sections will open nearer the main stand. 

Don't think the way Pars are selling tix is much different to how we've sold North stand tickets for similar games. Just a case of opening blocks as and when they are needed.

Edited by Halbeath Raith Rover

15 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

2000 would be some going, think you've only done that 2/3 times at EEP this millennium. 

We'll just be releasing them in blocks so it's easier to police. Fairly standard. 

And even then the three blocks will be about 1200, where's the 900 coming from? 

48 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

2000 would be some going, think you've only done that 2/3 times at EEP this millennium. 

We'll just be releasing them in blocks so it's easier to police. Fairly standard. 

And even then the three blocks will be about 1200, where's the 900 coming from? 

Came from RR social. 
Be interesting to see how many we bring but would be surprised if it’s less than a Sundays league cup match. 
Maybe it is more than 900 already and just a bit of a marketing ploy by Raith to create urgency to buy quick then be in a position to post ‘sold out’.

Feck knows, suppose it doesn’t matter. If there’s a demand I’m sure there’ll be ample available.

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

I didn't mind Ross Millen one bit. Far worse players have played for us. Always admired the way he stood up and dispatched the late penalty against Forfar in the play offs. Think he was about 11 at the time.

Thought the way we played under JJ hung Millen out to dry a bit. Millen takes the ball from keeper, takes it to half way line then hoofs it at his team mates, who are congregating near the box, playground style. No movement, nobody taking the ball off him. 

4 hours ago, timbermill tactician said:

I'm going to stick up for Ross Millen. Never as bad as people made out when he was at the pars.

Pars fans love a scapegoat. He was one in a long line stretching back decades.

Nah, he was shite for us, just like a lot of players at the time.

People see he’s done ok afterwards and try and do some revisionist history and claim he can’t have been that bad after all.

Sol Bamba was ungodly horrific during the 07/08 season, even though he went on to have a great career.

Looking forward to this immensely, hopefully a great atmosphere, both teams at it and some blood and snotters during the 90.

Former players on both sides, Bene, McCann and Wighton for Pars and Millen, Murray, Byrne, Smith and Ross for Rovers should add spice.

My main concern is that Rovers are a wee bit suspect at the back but hopefully B&B in midfield will snuff out any Townie threat before it gathers pace.

Vaughnny always loves a goal or 3 in these games.

Perhaps yellow cards a plenty and wee a red for Bene,  1-3 to the mighty.   Wighton for the Townies,  Hamilton and Vaughan (2) for the good guys. 

6 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Sol Bamba was ungodly horrific during the 07/08 season, even though he went on to have a great career.

That's not true. Bamba was head and shoulders above everyone else in a massively underperforming team in the first quarter.  He was man of the match every week.  

He was dreadful in the game at EEP against Hamilton, but that was the 10th league game of the season. His form then dropped for the next couple of games, Kenny was sacked and McIntyre barely played him thereafter.

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis

12 minutes ago, 101 said:

What's this? Am I still half asleep and missing something?

When he was at Fife Elite he was attached to Raith, when it came to signing a contract at 16 though he went for Dunfermline. It's a bit of a reach to say he played for Raith IMO. 

Regarding Millen, it’s worth remembering that he was only 20 when we released him. He was definitely a scapegoat for fans, despite there being more senior players who were performing as poorly. I remember being quite frustrated by some of his performances, but it must have been hard for a kid who got stick as soon as they made the slightest mistake.