Dougie's Morton v Dick's Arbroath

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Kirk Broadfoot giving the w****r sign to the Arbroath support for questioning his footballing ability was a nice touch today 

I'm sure he was misunderstood and merely asking someone to shake their tic tacs at him

Dougie has apologised to the support for yesterday's performance.

It's too early in the season to say where we are going to end up in the league table. We must now talk of safety rather than promotion until we see a vast improvement or some decent signings or both in my opinion.

Watching it yesterday was quite alarming to say the least. I know most teams in the league have that kind of performance in them at various points in the season. I can only hope it was a one off and we get back to the early season form we have shown so far. 

Injuries, suspensions and lack of signings have contributed to yesterday's defeat. That takes nothing away from Arbroath who were well worthy of their win. 

6 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

It's too early in the season to say where we are going to end up in the league table. We must now talk of safety rather than promotion until we see a vast improvement or some decent signings or both in my opinion.

Watching it yesterday was quite alarming to say the least. I know most teams in the league have that kind of performance in them at various points in the season. I can only hope it was a one off and we get back to the early season form we have shown so far. 

Injuries, suspensions and lack of signings have contributed to yesterday's defeat. That takes nothing away from Arbroath who were well worthy of their win. 

Before yesterday we seemed to be completely written off and everyone seemed to be thinking that we wouldn’t be able to compete at all. It was a tough 3 fixtures to start and I get it looks bad from the outside looking in but in my first post on this thread I had said we were night and day from last summer in terms of recruitment. We won’t be pulling up any trees but we should be competitive side that can get results here and there. Also need signings in some key areas too and hopefully they come soon. 

This leagues a tough one for the coupon, actually backed Arbroath yesterday because the odds were way too high. Ourselves, Livingston, Queen of the South and Queens Park nearly returned me a hefty sum but unfortunately QP fucked that. 

I expect another crazy year for most of the teams again outwith Dundee United, who I think will be cruising to the title come March

2 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Possibly a bit of an Ibrox hangover, as well.

Only one player (Oakley) was out yesterday and the defense was back at full strength - although Baird evidently needs time to catch up.

Arbroath turned up and we didn't. However, our lineup was much the same as the one that burst a gut for about 100 minutes at Ibrox. Going from a crowd of 40,000 to a crowd of 1,700 can't help either.

We've not been bad in any game until now, and I don't really think it's down to the factors you've mentioned. Well, a wee bit. But they weren't the difference. We've had these problems everywhere; Against Kelty, Edinburgh, Stranraer and Ayr, who we got past.

Against County and Rangers, who we gave a proper game to.

Against Raith, who we fought hard against, and then threw it away courtesy of Kirk Broadfoot.

This game is the outlier. It's the only one we can't take any positives from whatsoever.

That being said, we really need another defender so we can get Broadfoot out of the lineup. Three weeks, three penalties (albeit Rangers and yesterday's seemed harsh), but he's a bombscare nonetheless.

The defense has made more major mistakes this season, so far, than they did last season. Really concerning.

That's the worst I've saw us play in some time. Not having another option up front was noticeable today, Robbie had an off day and isn't as strong as that target man as Oakley anyway. Quitongo despite being on the bench is clearly still unable to play as the game was screaming out for his pace/disruption skills and he didn't get on.

CB and proper RB needed to sort the defence otherwise we are in trouble. A stable backline gave us the basis of our season last year, we are leaking too many goals at present to be competitive.

Edited by ScientificMethod
autocorrect error!

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

We had 14 corners in yesterday's game. Can't remember troubling Arbroath with any of them... 

Baird missed the target with a free header in the first half from about 2 yards out - a sitter. 

45 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Just watched the highlights. The defending for the 3rd goal - deary me. The 2nd actually looks like an OG.

Too horrified by the third to even watch the highlights. The defending was criminal. Not something I'll say often but I really do hope Dougie got tore right into them after the game.

ETA: I did notice that Dougie didn't actually speak to any of them after the game, just the silent handshake or whatnot, went to the fans and straight back in.

Edited by ClydeTon

3 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

IMG_5174.thumb.jpeg.7ca1ca8aabfe609c9d1fd12c3ffec70b.jpeg

You green-flagged my post expressing my undying love for 'Wee Gayfield', and then you promptly rewarded my compliment and kicked me in the baws with this.

Ya smokie wee fecker.

ETA - I've screenshotted this, so I can one day come back and haunt you when we finally figure out how to beat you.

Edited by Chippyminton

On 27/08/2023 at 19:07, Colkitto said:

We had 14 corners in yesterday's game. Can't remember troubling Arbroath with any of them... 

Bearne's delivery from corners in the first half was excellent.  Just couldn't take advantage of them.