Dougie's Morton v Dick's Arbroath

5 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

A good performance and a point or 3 on Saturday would go a long way to reversing some of the negativity.

Agreed - we have the players who can turn this around - hopefully Saturday will be the day this happens.

Really should have taken something from the Queens game - but thats gone now.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Who are these players? Because from the outside, it looks like Dick has bussed in a job lot of ringers, much like last season?

Arbroath have had a decent transfer window - obviously got off to a disastrous cup run, followed by humiliation against Dundee United and then two back to back defeats against Queens .........

However, there are signs of turning the corner and Queens were fortunate to leave with 3 points last week.

The match this weekend will be very tight - I will leave it to you to judge the squad.

Hoping for an away won - but would be happy with a point to get us up and running.

Really like Abroath as a club. Great little ground and seem to have a board that do things the right way. 
Dick has done a good job and the season before last was outrageous and would’ve been Scotlands version of Leicester should they have went up. 

However…I just don’t see a team in the championship finishing below them. Add in the fact that Dick has a bit of staleness and old school about him that I just don’t think cuts it anymore. 

Only chance for me is sorting that brutal home record which may have been easier with a more settled squad…DC bussing in tons of jobbers doesn’t help use the weather elements to your advantage. 

Airdrie are clearly going to be at least competent and likely to hand out a few scuddings of their own with how effective they are going forward. 

The only reason you’re still in the division is because Cove were honking and it took Hamilton till the last 9/10 games to get anything going. The two replacements are far superior.

Morton 2 nil win.

Edited by RAITHROVERS84

14 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Who are these players? Because from the outside, it looks like Dick has bussed in a job lot of ringers, much like last season?

Not even remotely close to last season - genuinely. There are 2 ringers in the squad but the rest look very competent. 2 ringers and Jacobs, who is finished.

12 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Really like Abroath as a club. Great little ground and seem to have a board that do things the right way. 
Dick has done a good job and the season before last was outrageous and would’ve been Scotlands version of Leicester should they have went up. 

However…I just don’t see a team in the championship finishing below them. Add in the fact that Dick has a bit of staleness and old school about him that I just don’t think cuts it anymore. 

Only chance for me is sorting that brutal home record which may have been easier with a more settled squad…DC bussing in tons of jobbers doesn’t help use the weather elements to your advantage. 

Airdrie are clearly going to be at least competent and likely to hand out a few scuddings of their own with how effective they are going forward. 

The only reason you’re still in the division is because Cove were honking and it took Hamilton till the last 9/10 games to get anything going. The two replacements are far superior.

Morton 2 nil win.

I appreciate that but there has been 3 GAMES. 3 games against Dundee United and Queens Park, teams who are clearly going to be at the top end of the table. We got pumped in one, deservedly but narrowly beat in another and really could’ve easily come away with 3 points ourselves in the other one. Writing us off at this stage just seems mental.

The one thing I do think that I’ve lost confidence in completely and that is hampering us, right now, is Dick Campbell. I think he’s on a defiant last stand in terms of being here and in terms of his overall career and life as a manager.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

On 21/08/2023 at 12:32, madton said:

You're not sacking Dick after 4 league games surely?

His job is to keep you in this league and he has done that the last 5 seasons. What is the expectation for Arbroath when trying to compete with full time teams with bigger budgets? 

You've not started well but surely the board only consider sacking him if he is marooned at the bottom of the league much further into the season if at all?

Its very difficult for part time teams to survive in this league for a decent period of time as Alloa, Dumbarton, Cove, Brechin etc have all shown in recent years so Dick has done a great job in that respect.

I'd be amazed if your board were even considering sacking him at the point of the season.

We had six consecutive seasons, so the Lichties still have a couple more to go to beat us ;)

15 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

Do Morton offer an International live streaming service, cheers.

Yes, but you need to buy a season or half season pass; you can't just buy a single match as that's not permitted any more (some clubs do sell monthly passes which could in some cases only mean one home game).

• ClydeTon changed the title to Dougie's Morton v Dick's Arbroath
On 20/08/2023 at 18:16, ExiledLichtie said:

No matter how terrible times are, no matter the run we are on, Morton is the one shining light.  They pretty much belong in our trophy cabinet.  If we don't get 3 points here, then we're no more than 3 games from a change in management.

I would suggest you should draft a managers type person specification so you don't have to work late on it once you return.

Time to sword this lot should be helped by no McKenna if injured as indicated.

Ton 2 v blank Arbroath

Edited by Paisley Ton
Campbell

On 20/08/2023 at 22:32, madton said:

Encouraging to see Baird on the bench yesterday, quicker he is back in the middle of our defence the better. Could he start?

Haven't caught any pre match Dougie updates for tomorrow so not sure if he be back or on the bench.

I think it was more player management.

In the squad, stripped and present. With a bit of bonus money as you are one of our main men.

23 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think tomorrow will be tough, game will be won or lost in middle of park for us I think. Crawford, Power and Wilson are a very good trio so if we want to win this game we will have to hope Balde, McKenna and Gold have a good day. 

Agreed