Dougie's Morton v Dick's Arbroath

57 minutes ago, Morton Supporter said:

Don’t want to hear player X, Y or Z be the scapegoat after that.

Fact is Dougie’s seen Arbroath enough times - and seen enough in the first half hour today - to understand that our normal game doesn’t work against them. They’re just quicker to the second balls and comfortable defending diagonals.

The blame for today lies squarely with him for not having them play through midfield when it was patently obvious we were second best. That doesn’t excuse poor individual performances around the pitch mind.

ETA: Well played Arbroath, always impressed when I see you play us.

It wasn't a deliberate choice not to play through midfield - Arbroath didn't allow us to by constantly sitting on Power and shutting him off as an option for a pass out of defence.

Imrie still doesn't escape blame for that as a huge factor in not having any alternative to Power resulting in the defence going long all the time was Blues hiding continually rather than bothering his arse to show for a pass. Had he been subbed at half-time when we were still in the game rather than getting the 90 minutes we might not have been so easily dominated in the middle of the park and that's on Imrie, but going long all the time was down to Arbroath's tactics successfully forcing us to rather than wanting to.

Well that was fucking Awful. Not sure if the penalty was a stone waller or not but regardless broadfoot has given away 2 pens in 2 games. Not good enough. 

Few fans in the cowshed need to have a right good look at themselves.  Some of the shouts today were laughable and embarrassing. Almost as if we have the right to just turn up and walk over Arbroath. I know every team has its fair share of morons but f**k me.

Arbroath totally deserved that win and once again they school imrie's morton. 

On leaving the ground my son and I spoke to a few Arbroath fans. Good guys and very gracious in victory ( I told them it was ok to say we were absolutely shite).

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It wasn't a deliberate choice not to play through midfield - Arbroath didn't allow us to by constantly sitting on Power and shutting him off as an option for a pass out of defence.

Imrie still doesn't escape blame for that as a huge factor in not having any alternative to Power resulting in the defence going long all the time was Blues hiding continually rather than bothering his arse to show for a pass. Had he been subbed at half-time when we were still in the game rather than getting the 90 minutes we might not have been so easily dominated in the middle of the park and that's on Imrie, but going long all the time was down to Arbroath's tactics successfully forcing us to rather than wanting to.

Oh shoosh, you’re not the insightful tactician you think you are here.

The fact Wilson came on and found plenty of time and space on the ball but still went diagonal to McGrattan and Boyd shows you the players were told to do that.

And that’s fine in 80-90% of our games - we play the territory game and try to play in fits and starts off of second balls, throw ins, corners. And it’s been successful.

But it just doesn’t work against Arbroath as we’ve seen over and over - they have a very experienced and defence who are happy to defend those balls and they are onto every loose ball quicker than us when the balls ping-ponging about.

Just now, Mr.Blue said:

Well that was fucking Awful. Not sure if the penalty was a stone waller or not but regardless broadfoot has given away 2 pens in 2 games. Not good enough. 

Few fans in the cowshed need to have a right good look at themselves.  Some of the shouts today were laughable and embarrassing. Almost as if we have the right to just turn up and walk over Arbroath. I know every team has its fair share of morons but f**k me.

Arbroath totally deserved that win and once again they school imrie's morton. 

On leaving the ground my son and I spoke to a few Arbroath fans. Good guys and very gracious in victory ( I told them it was ok to say we were absolutely shite).

Sadly need to correct you on that front: 3 in 3!

Entirely predictable. Even more annoying was that I was originally supposed to miss this one.
Can’t recall who handled for the penalty but at the time I didn’t think he could have done much to get out of the way. That said, it was a deserved lead. We got worse, played hoofball and Arbroath picked us off easily. In the end 3-0 flattered us.
Blues is not a right back. When he moved there he was getting ripped up. 

4 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Entirely predictable. Even more annoying was that I was originally supposed to miss this one.
Can’t recall who handled for the penalty but at the time I didn’t think he could have done much to get out of the way. That said, it was a deserved lead. We got worse, played hoofball and Arbroath picked us off easily. In the end 3-0 flattered us.
Blues is not a right back. When he moved there he was getting ripped up. 

Broadfoot gave the pen away

My feeling (I wasn't at the game) is that this is one of those games that neither set of fans should read too much into.  We basically own Morton, and clearly match up well against them, and have done since even before Imrie was appointed.  Even though I want the management gone, I was still confident of a win today. 

Its the opposite to Inverness, who match up well against us, and we never seem to so much as score a goal against.  

Just now, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm delighted with the win!  I just don't think that scudding Morton for the 3 millionth time says a lot about either our season or Morton's.

I know it doesn’t, but you said last week you saw plenty of positives in the performance and now this week there has been more positives in the performance with the added bonus of a very good result, surely you can keep the criticisms and digs of the management at bay? 

The second half was scrappy and Arbroath didn't look threatening until the wild second goal went in, but the scoreline was fully merited on the first half performance alone. If we had drawn level it would have been a robbery. 

Arbroath managed to shut down the game by simply putting a player on Power all game while our other two midfielders lolloped 40 yards up the pitch. This forced our defenders to launch it at Muirhead and two garbage midgets. It was clear that this was never going to work after about 10 minutes but we persisted with it in huffing and puffing to draw level.

I said earlier in the week that this game would be a test of whether we've made a step forward - we quite clearly haven't. We were in a similar position 12 months ago and it worked out well over the course of the season, but our lack of a plan B was glaring today.

We also need relatively good fortune with injuries as we had last season and the signs are not encouraging on that front. 

17 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Genuinely not here to gloat. WTF happened? When will you get your arse in gear and give us a top-flight derby?

Unlike my well-mannered friend above, I am here for no reason other than to gloat.

You useless wankers.

Based on your pre-season kick-about result we were led to believe by a few of your titwank posters that Barcelona had relocated to Greenock.

Ha - Fucking -Ha.

51 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

My feeling (I wasn't at the game) is that this is one of those games that neither set of fans should read too much into.  We basically own Morton, and clearly match up well against them, and have done since even before Imrie was appointed.  Even though I want the management gone, I was still confident of a win today. 

Starting to feel this is true.

Arbroath started at 120% and should have picked us off at least 5 times.

Starting to hate Arbroath and it's a pity because I enjoy going up there for away games.

Also when did Gatsby start coming for crosses!

From where I was penalty looked a joke , still to see the TV clips, maybe some Arbroath fans can detail why it was given felt we had no chance from there.

A very welcome and civilised P&B match thread - with the losers being unanimously humble and congratulatory in defeat, and with the winners being equally gracious in victory. What a difference proper supporters of the game can make.

It's significant though, that the only roasters here are supporters of other teams who have f**k all to do with any of this. I'd respectfully suggest that they return to their own threads and stink those out instead.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone.

Edited by Chippyminton