St Mirren - v - Aberdeen 27 August

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I didn’t know beating us was ever seen as an achievement tbh. Sorry I missed it.

To be fair, I always see beating Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen as an achievement (and obviously the cheeks) - especially away from home.

This is a few years old now, but I don't think things will have changed much. Average player's wage per team:

Screenshot2023-08-2517_34_22.png.d17368dd531d1e51ff3e508cf9409526.png

Source: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-the-wage-bills-of-all-12-teams-ranked-as-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-with-majority-of-ps62m-paid-in-salaries-1398455

I appreciate that you will have to pay players more to attract them to the depressing backwater that is the Granite City, but even still...

2 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

To be fair, I always see beating Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen as an achievement (and obviously the cheeks) - especially away from home.

This is a few years old now, but I don't think things will have changed much. Average player's wage per team:

Screenshot2023-08-2517_34_22.png.d17368dd531d1e51ff3e508cf9409526.png

Source: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-the-wage-bills-of-all-12-teams-ranked-as-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-with-majority-of-ps62m-paid-in-salaries-1398455

I appreciate that you will have to pay players more to attract them to the depressing backwater that is the Granite City, but even still...

Fair point on the finances, and we can’t expect to compete with the sparkling blue seas, high culture and tropical climate of Glasgow to tempt players. I guess I’m just having difficulty adjusting to the new reality of the last ten years having spent the previous 20 watching us oscillating between mediocre and shite.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Fair point on the finances, and we can’t expect to compete with the sparkling blue seas, high culture and tropical climate of Glasgow to tempt players. I guess I’m just having difficulty adjusting to the new reality of the last ten years having spent the previous 20 watching us oscillating between mediocre and shite.

Mad Max Reaction GIF

The same patter used by Hibs and just about every other club outside the West of Scotland. It's as trite as calling you sheep shaggers. At least you haven't brought up the club shop, yet.

Anyway, with us on a high, a near full house, Jamie McGrath likely playing and none of our stand out players having left us (yet)...I'm looking forward to this one. 

Aberdeen have always (in my lifetime) been a far bigger club than any other non-OF club. 

Under Fergie they dominated Scottish football for many years. 

Hearts and Hibs were yo-yo clubs in the late 70s and have had subsequent relegations from the top flight in recent decades. 

Many of our best players were hoovered up by the Dons for significant transfer fees. Weir, Stark, McDougall, Winnie, Cameron, Aitken, Gillies, McLean. Some of our best managers headed north and were successful at Pittodrie. 

Far more than all combined transfers to Hearts or Hibs. I think the following players headed direct from St Mirren to Edinburgh - Blair, Munro, Torrance, Hamilton, Cooper, Fulton, Lavety, McGinn and Magennis. All those went to Hibs. I can’t think of one player who has been transferred direct from Saints to Hearts. I did hate to see Jimmy Bone play for the Jambos in the mid 80s but he went via Hong Kong Rangers. 

What might surprise some younger fans is that Aberdeen paid a record Scottish transfer fee for used urinals from Love St.  

I think this was during “toaster-gate” era. 

4-2 Saints

13 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I saw a decent bit of the game last night. I like the look of this Aberdeen side. They've got some really good players going forward. Both Hibs and Dundee had spells against us when they caused us a few problems so I'd expect Aberdeen's forward line to be very dangerous. Motherwell caused us no real problems, which I'd like to put down to our defence improving but probably as much (more) to do with them being pretty toothless.

Aberdeen look to have a lot more grit under Robson than they had under Goodwin or Glass. I feel some of our wins over Aberdeen the last couple of seasons, we have bullied them. I don't see this happening this year. 

We're a decent side though and good at home. Tough one to call.

4-0 Saints

absolutely, difficult to call,  personally I think you are a bit gallus, 3-1 Saints

What would have been great for everyone is that Sir Alex Ferguson was made a guest of honour on Sunday.

I know how much of a legend he is in Aberdeen and Manchester but for many Saints fans of a certain age he dramatically changed the fortunes of our club. He laid the foundations of the success of our team throughout the late 70s to the cup winning side of 1987. 

He put in place a scouting network that sustained our club for many years. 

He put winning mentality into a young squad and supporters alike. Incredible to think he was only 32 when he joined us. I remember him visiting our primary school and speaking to a group of us. I will never forget the impact he made on us. 

Surely by now our club have attempted to induct him into our Hall of Fame. 

Had he not arrived as we could easily have gone the way of Morten. 

Perhaps the club have tried but Fergie still won’t forget his time in court arguing his case.

Shortly after he'd joined St Mirren, the club was bought by Todd, who Ferguson said “didn’t know much about football”. Whatever was true, Todd thought he did, and they began to argue. Cliques in the boardroom muddied the waters; some backed Ferguson, others didn’t. Distracted by infighting, Ferguson struggled to keep St Mirren above the drop. 

As the end of the season neared, the communication between Ferguson and Todd broke down. The final few months were unpleasant for both. Ferguson thought he could take on his own chairman, a move he later described as naive. St Mirren scraped to 10th, six points above the relegation zone. When Aberdeen contacted Ferguson again in May, he wanted out.

What worried him was that St Mirren could sue him for breach of contract, and so he delayed his decision. In late May, Todd called him into his office and presented a list of 15 instances in which Ferguson had broken his contract. Dismissing them as farcical, Ferguson started to laugh. Todd would later say that the real problem had been that Fergie had told his staff he was going to Aberdeen, and that he'd asked at least one player to come with him. “The issue was St Mirren being destabilised because the manager wanted to leave,” Todd wrote.

In any case, Ferguson cleared his desk. Bitter over the fallout, he sued Todd for wrongful dismissal. Todd won the case. The industrial tribunal ruling described Ferguson as “possessing neither by experience nor talent any managerial ability at all”. 

I hope whoever made that last statement at the tribunal was ribbed relentlessly by all and sundry until their dying days. 

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hearts and Aberdeen arguing about who is the biggest team is like Div and Kojak fighting over a comb. 

The only thing is though, it's not Hearts and Aberdeen arguing about who is bigger, it's St Mirren fans.

9 minutes ago, jaybeee said:

Yes, there is, international only though, I think

Because it's on Sunday it'll be available to whoever wants to pay for it.

1 hour ago, D-Fens Foster said:

Will Charles Dunne be playing ? Asking for an Aberdeen friend ? 

He’ll be on the bench but I’m sure he’ll go through a strict warm up routine, which involves the really skilful art form of wrapping his foot around an opponents leg, with his trailing foot and somehow manage to manoeuvre himself into a two footed lunge. Meanwhile he actually wins the ball while performing this minor miracle. 

He’s some boy big Charlie Dunne 

11 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Probably not.

He's usually a sub and we only put him on against total losers.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

He’ll be on the bench but I’m sure he’ll go through a strict warm up routine, which involves the really skilful art form of wrapping his foot around an opponents leg, with his trailing foot and somehow manage to manoeuvre himself into a two footed lunge. Meanwhile he actually wins the ball while performing this minor miracle. 

He’s some boy big Charlie Dunne 

I wish all the best to the Aberdeen strikers on Sunday 🙏.
These hammer throwers are a challenge at the best of times. 

14 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

A minor miracle if the game goes ahead given we're still trying to clear Motherwell tears from the pitch from last week.

20 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

Sexy football + hammer throwers, get it right.