Alloa v Falkirk

That is a very strange interview and I kind of get what he is saying about how passive the players were but the worrying part, was the "formations don't matter" comment.

As the manager he needs to be settling the tempo, getting the players up for it and have us  playing in an effective formation.

Hope somebody has told Field Marshal Hartley that Colonel Rice has declared war.

27 minutes ago, StuartA said:

TBh, I get no pleasure at all seeing Rice like that even if it is after Falkirk victory.  He’s someone I’m still very fond of given his success with us over two great periods. 

I agree. I really like him. Clearly hurting there. 

Sometimes the clubs want a comment from the manager a bit too soon after a game is finished. Sometimes they get asked stupid questions, like this guy wanting to talk about “formations”  I like Rice and clearly he’s got more passion for the game than some of his players.

I wasn’t at the game yesterday but listened to his Pre Match interview and it was good to see him looking healthier than some other times recently. 

Edited by NUMBER 7

3 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Sometimes the clubs want a comment from the manager a bit too soon after a game is finished. Sometimes they get asked stupid questions, like this guy wanting to talk about “formations”  I like Rice and clearly he’s got more passion for the game than some of his players.

Pretty much everyone leaves as soon as the interviews are done, including interviewers. At least at away games. I have no idea if our management remain at TFS well into a Saturday evening but I would doubt it. 

So if it's not done after the match the next chance would be Monday. Meanwhile fans are posting on social media throughout the weekend demanding to know the managers thoughts, and occasionally slaughtering the interviewer for asking soft questions. If press and TV get access immediately after a game, I don't think it's reasonable to ask club TV to wait two days. 

5 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Sometimes they get asked stupid questions, like this guy wanting to talk about “formations”  I like Rice and clearly he’s got more passion for the game than some of his players.

6 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

That is a very strange interview and I kind of get what he is saying about how passive the players were but the worrying part, was the "formations don't matter" comment.

As the manager he needs to be settling the tempo, getting the players up for it and have us  playing in an effective formation.

Hope somebody has told Field Marshal Hartley that Colonel Rice has declared war.

Can you decide if it's a daft question, or an insightful one for me?

The immediate analogue I can draw is we had a very limited team under Jim Goodwin. We reverted to personnel and formations that kept us tight. We won 2 of the opening 9 games against the bottom two yet after took at least a point in every game except against Ayr and Raith.

Held onto January when we signed Kirkpatrick and Stewart and the rest is history but without the pragmatic approach Goodwin would've been out before he turned around that team.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Also, I think its a bit disingenuous to home in on the formation chat. Rice wasn't saying formations don't matter. He was saying a formation change doesn't fix a lack of effort, players pulling out of tackles, players not tracking back. Formations don't matter when you make stupid mistakes in key areas. That was his point, not that in football a formation is unimportant. 

27 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

The immediate analogue I can draw is we had a very limited team under Jim Goodwin. We reverted to personnel and formations that kept us tight. We won 2 of the opening 9 games against the bottom two yet after took at least a point in every game except against Ayr and Raith.

Held onto January when we signed Kirkpatrick and Stewart and the rest is history but without the pragmatic approach Goodwin would've been out before he turned around that tram.

For what it’s worth I’m just happy to see an interview going up most weeks which is a vast improvement on hearing Barry Ferguson’s thoughts about rangers performance on the radio after we’d been beaten at the weekend and heard nothing from him. Your question was a perfectly valid one and I don’t think there was much wrong with Rice’s answer to it, clearly just frustrated after watching us be a complete shambles at the back. Based off our performance yesterday I would say that a 2 minute post match interview is pretty low on my worries for this season.

32 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Held onto January when we signed Kirkpatrick and Stewart and the rest is history but without the pragmatic approach Goodwin would've been out before he turned around that tram.

I thought you young guys were 100% digital. 😉

1 hour ago, NUMBER 7 said:

I wasn’t at the game yesterday but listened to his Pre Match interview and it was good to see him looking healthier than some other times recently. 

In what way was that a stupid question? I think it's a perfectly reasonable and pretty brave one.

7 minutes ago, printer said:

In what way was that a stupid question? I think it's a perfectly reasonable and pretty brave one.

Totally agree with that. 

Furthermore, when you look through the Alloa thread and see how much talk there has been regarding what formation we could potentially be playing, it’s great that @LeodhasXD has the balls to ask something that’s obviously pertinent to the fan base, rather than some of the powderpuff stuff you get elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Totally agree with that. 

Furthermore, when you look through the Alloa thread and see how much talk there has been regarding what formation we could potentially be playing, it’s great that @LeodhasXD has the balls to ask something that’s obviously pertinent to the fan base, rather than some of the powderpuff stuff you get elsewhere. 

Indeed.

Rice's reaction, which I don't have any problem with, maybe partly because a raw nerve was touched? I can also understand him being angry if he feels some players didn't show the right attitude, especially when his team has just been humped live on TV.

For what it’s worth, it was an “old” school no frills interview. Caught raw in the aftermath of a display which I think wasn’t great. A guy that cares about his team.
After a humping I,ll take his honesty any day over the woke shite we get nowadays. A guy who always gave a hundred %, and so should his players. 

I agree the question was perfectly legitimate given the performance yesterday.

Rice is also right about some of the players not performing to the levels an Alloa Manager or fans should expect.

However our recent performances and results have been down to a number of issues including very poor tactics.

Even yesterday there were multiple questionable decisions in one single game, Debayo at left back, Devaney being brought on at right back, Cawley left on the bench and even taking off Coulson who looked more dangerous than others who were left on.

The players mistakes were really poor yesterday but Rice has signed a number of them and he sets up the formation/decides on the tactics and he should be able to motivate them.

Imagine signing the jobber's jobber - Steven Hetherington, who spent two years at Falkirk not being able to tackle or run - and then being amazed when he is not able to tackle or run for Alloa either. Rice is correct when he says formations arent everything but he has presumably signed the vast majority of that squad 

28 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

I agree the question was perfectly legitimate given the performance yesterday.

Rice is also right about some of the players not performing to the levels an Alloa Manager or fans should expect.

However our recent performances and results have been down to a number of issues including very poor tactics.

Even yesterday there were multiple questionable decisions in one single game, Debayo at left back, Devaney being brought on at right back, Cawley left on the bench and even taking off Coulson who looked more dangerous than others who were left on.

The players mistakes were really poor yesterday but Rice has signed a number of them and he sets up the formation/decides on the tactics and he should be able to motivate them.

Agree with that. Rice is in fantasy land if he thought the only problem was individual mistakes yesterday. It was fairly complete domination and extremely comfortable. We’re clearly not world beaters which is why this domination was down to far more than just individual errors - poor from Rice imo