Airdrieonians v Raith

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Edit: I actually thought it looked like Brown and Millen were unwell. Never seen Brown so lethargic and lacking in energy. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to hear that was the case. 

Millen looked like he was really struggling in the second half. I couldn't make my mind up whether he'd been affected by the booking (which seemed unlikely) or their no 8 was just faster than he looked. There's a decent chance you might be right about that. 

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Millen looked like he was really struggling in the second half. I couldn't make my mind up whether he'd been affected by the booking (which seemed unlikely) or their no 8 was just faster than he looked. There's a decent chance you might be right about that. 

Might well be a combination of both.

The referee did come across as quite inconsistent at points today, but given some of the decisions we've had for us recently its hardly like we can request an official apology from the SFA. 

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Might well be a combination of both.

The referee did come across as quite inconsistent at points today, but given some of the decisions we've had for us recently its hardly like we can request an official apology from the SFA. 

I thought the full given against Murray late on (when he won the knock down that Gullan scored from after the foul had been given) was very soft. Then one of their players basically did the same to Dick straight after and got away with it. 

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Because a manager has never come out after a match and talked of a game in such a way that it barely resembles the 90 minutes watched by fans. No bother.

We were not well in control, it was a pretty even match if you were to look at possession and although they had more shots, more on target we scored and they didn't which is the only stat that matters. So forgive me if I'm more inclined to believe what I saw rather than the words of a manager.

Haha take a day off and just enjoy the win mate 👍

Edited by Diamond1924

21 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Millen struggled from the start today in all honesty. He was letting his man face him up too often and he isn't the quickest so struggled with being ran at and the movement of airdries players. Watson going off didn't help matters but it was a rare off day from him today Imo. 

We struggled from the off. It have been formation, tactical or something else but we need to learn from it. 

We have a big enough squad now that we can rotate to mix things up and confuse opposition. We have alot of good players but we need to play them in the most effect positions..

13 minutes ago, P.C said:

We struggled from the off. It have been formation, tactical or something else but we need to learn from it. 

We have a big enough squad now that we can rotate to mix things up and confuse opposition. We have alot of good players but we need to play them in the most effect positions..

I don't think we played anyone out of position today. Watson being injured meant we had to bring Masson on, who actually did very well, but was pulled out of position leaving a massive gap for the goal. That's just an experience thing. Brown was sitting in front of him today positionally and wasn't there as it was the rarest of off days from him also. I was told from a dunfermline fan that Airdrie will surprise a few teams this season and I can see that happening with the way they play. Their movement and playing between the lines is very good as well as beating the press, which we didn't do effectively today at all. 

I saw it as a fairly even game which Raith edged and probably deserved a win although neither team could have grudged the other a draw. Airdrie did little second half until the goal- great move, but held out well in the end. 
I’m sure Raith will play worse and gets points and Airdrie better and come away with nothing.

It was a very even match with both teams having the odd strong spell at times. Some good chances at either end with both keepers called into action. Raith were unlucky with the one off the bar, we had a drilled cross from the right that was missed by a striker on the 6 yard line when it looked like a certain tap in. 

First half I thought we were a bit too slow moving the ball forward, almost over cautious. That changed in the 2nd half and our goal was an excellent move. The type that will catch teams out as they don't expect us to be able to play like that, whereas Airdrie fans have seen it a lot over the last year. McCabe has us playing some excellent stuff but think what was most important today was finally getting a clean sheet. Especially after leaking 4 last week. 

Raith will bounce back as they're a good squad with good depth. Hamilton looks a player who will get better and be a real handful this season. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

No real complaints about the outcome today.

We had a good spell for 15 minutes leading up to half time and had the edge for 20 minutes after the break, but there were a couple of warning shots across our bows before the goal and Airdrie managed the game superbly after the goal, restricting us to little or nothing.

Airdrie defended well, pressed our midfield and took a chance when it came, so no grudging them of the win.

My only slight gripe about today, and I'm not convinced that it would have made any great difference to the outcome, but I can't understand the paltry amount of added time today, given that a minimum of 30 seconds is supposed to be added per substition and there were a few injuries on top.

Edited by Specky Ginger

On 20/09/2023 at 10:22, Diamond1924 said:

Hopefully we fulfilled our annual freak result quota last Saturday as I cannot take another drubbing. 

Raith are considerably better than Arbroath 

On 21/09/2023 at 12:06, clashcityrocker said:

You sure about that ?

Like everyone, I had a good laugh at @clashcityrocker, but it turns out that he might actually be on to something!  

I don't understand how that Airdrie team that looked so unfit and slow at the back can end up keeping a clean sheet against a team with a lethal finisher like Jack Hamilton up front.

Something has gone badly wrong there!

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Like everyone, I had a good laugh at @clashcityrocker, but it turns out that he might actually be on to something!  

I don't understand how that Airdrie team that looked so unfit and slow at the back can end up keeping a clean sheet against a team with a lethal finisher like Jack Hamilton up front.

There is a lot to like about Hamilton and he is clearly an excellent nunbee 9 but we are yet to see this lethal finishing that we saw him do for Arbroath so often. Looks a wee bit short of confidence in front of goal. 

One for @Roath Raver, why have we not included Stanton being (possibly) fouled when clean through? Was keen to see that again. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

8 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

McGregor (8) is indeed very very quick.

7 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

My only slight gripe about today, and I'm not convinced that it would have made any great difference to the outcome, but I can't understand the paltry amount of added time today, given that a minimum of 30 seconds is supposed to be added per substition and there were a few injuries on top.

Noticed that, too. I always time the second half on my watch, and the final whistle blew on 46:30. 

Having watched the Easton penalty claim again, it doesn’t look like a foul from the first angle but in the reverse angle you see the left arm of the defender go into Easton’s back, then his left knee make contact with back of Easton’s right knee which brings him down. Penalty for me, but the referee doesn’t see the reverse angle detail, so fully understand why it wasn’t given. 

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Team in having an off day shocker

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There is a lot to like about Hamilton and he is clearly an excellent nunbee 9 but we are yet to see this lethal finishing that we saw him do for Arbroath so often. Looks a wee bit short of confidence in front of goal. 

One for @Roath Raver, why have we not included Stanton being (possibly) fouled when clean through? Was keen to see that again. 

Chances are noted down during the game. Some are missed, but some people’s interpretation of a chance is different I would say. Could argue it was a defensive tackle outside the box with a man coming to cover that the ref had good sight of and saw no issues with… so that is probably why it wasn’t noted down. 

When we do a stream of the game, like we were able to yesterday, there is a full match replay available to season ticket and RaithTV pass holders if you want to see anything back.

7 minutes ago, Roath Raver said:

Chances are noted down during the game. Some are missed, but some people’s interpretation of a chance is different I would say. Could argue it was a defensive tackle outside the box with a man coming to cover that the ref had good sight of and saw no issues with… so that is probably why it wasn’t noted down. 

When we do a stream of the game, like we were able to yesterday, there is a full match replay available to season ticket and RaithTV pass holders if you want to see anything back.

You’re right. Just watched it, can’t tell who gets the touch on the ball from that angle. Was hoping for that reverse angle we got from Easton’s penalty shout. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You’re right. Just watched it, can’t tell who gets the touch on the ball from that angle. Was hoping for that reverse angle we got from Easton’s penalty shout. 

It's a fair shout for a pen, I'd be looking for one even though Easton definitely played for it, but that's allowed and Hancock a tad clumsy.

I loved the pass from Josh Rae @ 1 minute in. A lot of pressure on him with the way we play but he seems to be revelling in the sweeper keeper role, yes there will be times when it goes wrong but he's the best keeper we've had for years and will be difficult to keep hold off. Not saying that Dubrowski is a bad keeper but he wouldn't get in our team as he doesn't look too comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Impressed by Airdrie in general but aye, Rae looks very good. Airdrie goal is very well worked. Aye Masson jumps in high up the park which leaves the gap but there’s a hell of a lot to do, still. Sometimes got to hold your hands up and say it’s a good goal worthy of winning any game.