Airdrieonians v Raith

1 minute ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Factually incorrect that you don’t concede chances? Queen’s Park aside, you’ve conceded the most amount of good chances this season in the league 

Now, now you said 4 or 5. I'll stand corrected if you can back that up, now run along and check out DTV and revert.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

No, they wouldnt have. We kept them at arms length very well and managed to dictate play in the second half, we were no more lucky to win last week than we were unlucky to lose this week.

Last week we were able to keep the ball moving forward into dangerous spaces, to turn the ball over in possession and stretch Inverness all the way to the end.

Today we barely laid a glove on Airdrie all game. Were passive in the middle, and way too narrow in attack. Was it a bad day ar the office? Maybe, but at the same time it's unfair on Airdrie to suggest that was particularly close. Just in terms of winning and moving the ball, they were a step above us today - that's the lack of competion that killed us today.

I was there, we created hardly anything of note. For all the opportunities Hamilton had their keeper saw it a million miles away. We created hardly anything,  Airdrie knew we had nothing going forward. You seem to be blinded by the facts. The score line alone should’ve told you that. 

A bit disappointed with that today. Aside from a period near the end of the first half we never really got going. The free kicks we had from just outside the box summed it up with the ball ended up in the keepers hands each time. 
On that note I was impressed with the Airdrie goalie, his footwork and distribution was excellent. 

2 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

I was there, we created hardly anything of note. For all the opportunities Hamilton had their keeper saw it a million miles away. We created hardly anything,  Airdrie knew we had nothing going forward. You seem to be blinded by the facts. The score line alone should’ve told you that. 

Aye, the bit where I'm totally calling out the fact we were shite today is totally blinding me to today's scoreline.

In previous week, ICT included we've managed to maintain a tempo, to keep the ball in dangerous positions and to subsequently capitalise on the chances when they did come.

Today we were kept at arm's length the whole game. We were passive in midfield, narrow in attack and after the goal were unable to apply any pressure in the way we have in previous weeks.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, the bit where I'm totally calling out the fact we were shite today is totally blinding me to today's scoreline.

In previous week, ICT included we've managed to maintain a tempo, to keep the ball in dangerous positions and to subsequently capitalise on the chances when they did come.

Today we were kept at arm's length the whole game. We were passive in midfield, narrow in attack and after the goal were unable to apply any pressure in the way we have in previous weeks.

Exactly, our management didn’t foresee it into the second half. We regressed badly it wasn’t real. 

Huge performance from Airdrie today, mentally more than technically. It was really important to bounce back from last weeks disaster and while that game was always going to hinge on the first goal, we held our own and then strolled it after the goal. I don’t think either side had many great chances but I don’t remember ever thinking that Raith were going to score other than Stanton’s shot. It was mostly shots from distance and weird, floated crosses to the back post. We struggled to create many clear chances too but Gallagher was clinical when he got the opportunity.

The first half was pretty even overall, Airdrie having the better start but Raith started to control things as the half went on. I thought the second half was pretty even too until the goal when Raith just fell out the game completely. I’m a huge proponent of Murrayball, it’s a great laugh when it works, but there wasn’t really much of a plan for it today and the forwards he brought on didn’t add anything. Easton was disappointing too, he’s wasted out wide but never offered anything when he was moved inside. Raith today reminded me a little of Murray’s 19/20 Airdrie team actually. Not quite the attacking, exciting team he’d go on to build but solid and direct with battlers in the middle, without ever being quite creative enough.

I was really worried about our defence coming up against the likes of Hamilton and Easton but I thought we limited them really well. The game as I expected was really close but I thought the difference in the teams up until the goal was the Raith were taking more shots or creating more passages of play ending in shots than us but thankfully we managed to see that out and take our chance when it came. 

I had a bit of a heads gone after last week's game and looking back I stand by some of what was said but credit where credit is due that was a great result today and backs up the idea that we will be a really tough nut to crack at home. 

Happy Saturday.♦️

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Huge performance from Airdrie today, mentally more than technically. It was really important to bounce back from last weeks disaster and while that game was always going to hinge on the first goal, we held our own and then strolled it after the goal. I don’t think either side had many great chances but I don’t remember ever thinking that Raith were going to score other than Stanton’s shot. It was mostly shots from distance and weird, floated crosses to the back post. We struggled to create many clear chances too but Gallagher was clinical when he got the opportunity.

The first half was pretty even overall, Airdrie having the better start but Raith started to control things as the half went on. I thought the second half was pretty even too until the goal when Raith just fell out the game completely. I’m a huge proponent of Murrayball, it’s a great laugh when it works, but there wasn’t really much of a plan for it today and the forwards he brought on didn’t add anything. Easton was disappointing too, he’s wasted out wide but never offered anything when he was moved inside. Raith today reminded me a little of Murray’s 19/20 Airdrie team actually. Not quite the attacking, exciting team he’d go on to build but solid and direct with battlers in the middle, without ever being quite creative enough.

That's pretty much how I saw the game.  

Granted, I was watching on a stream for the first time in the league this season,  so there will have been elements of play I wouldn't have seen, and possibly was guided by the commentary a bit.  However up until the goal I didn't feel as though I was watching anything other than a fairly even game that could go either way.

I was dissapointed to see the scatter gun substitutions return though.  Thought we'd seen the end of that. 

31 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Keep telling yourself that, aside from the goal Inverness were a good team and could’ve won. They closed us down at every opportunity. Take the Rovers glesses aff! 

So Inverness who have 1 point are a good team but we're not having lost only 1 game in 6? 

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

That's pretty much how I saw the game.  

Granted, I was watching on a stream for the first time in the league this season,  so there will have been elements of play I wouldn't have seen, and possibly was guided by the commentary a bit.  However up until the goal I didn't feel as though I was watching anything other than a fairly even game that could go either way.

I was dissapointed to see the scatter gun substitutions return though.  Thought we'd seen the end of that. 

I’m not sure if it was mentioned on stream but Smith was ready to come on just before the goal, that was then delayed and Gullan and Vaughan were chucked on too.

50 minutes ago, renton said:

There is no way Inverness should have been out of sight. Two of the three Dabrowski saves were more or less at him. The one he scampered across to save low at the far post represented their best effort. Second half we domintated the play.

In terms of actual play, Airdrie passed and moved far better than ICT and more importantly, better than we did. We were passive all over the pitch today. I'm not saying we didnt make a few chances - but the best, like last season was a fairly low xG that nearly caught Airdrie out - and really, we could still be there not scoring.

Today was likely a tight game on chances, but in terms of overall play? We were miles off of it. Both in terms of individual effort where the likes of Brown were uncharacteristically passive and didnt come close to winning a second ball, and in terms of set up where again we became too narrow up top and offered little in the way of an outball when turning over possession.

I'm sorry last week we scored with about our only shot on goal. Very similar to today's huff and puff performance. 

Will catch up with previous posts but I'm delighted to have earned that win with a smashingly flowing move, submlimely finished by Callum Gallagher.

Good to inflict Rovers first loss, and our first win for so many years.

Felt we shaded the first half hour and might well have been in front but great save by Goalie. However Raith edged the latter part and indeed but for Rae's great save and a lucky crossbar , we'd have been behind.

Thought our defence were more solid than last week, obviously, and the game was quite entertaining. Could not fathom why Easton was stuck out wide and he had a better second half. Raith clearly are a well drilled side but lacked a real punch up front. 

Much prefer Aitken and McMaster and Frizzell in our middle three but our wingers never really got going till the second half. Interesting to see Ballantyne back at RB and Hancock had a good game against Mullin. 

Great home form and given Arbroath beating Thistle, maybe last week was not unexpected.

The problem up front was our number 9 effectively had to play as a 10 drifting deep and into channels to knock on the ball to build attacks. He played well but had little to no support.

Thought we were poor, but easily could’ve won. Millen and Brown had uncharacteristic off days and Mullin was anonymous. I know he does a power of work but when Stanton goes off it just killed us. Him and Hamilton going off at the same time basically ended any hope of getting a goal. 

Masson, it’s a hard one. He needed to come on today but the downgrade from Watson to him is mammoth. He was at fault for the goal, trying to win the ball way too high up the park and leaving a gaping hole he never got back into to allow Gallagher to score. Wasn’t surprised he was a subbed sub. And therein lies our weakness. You can have all the forward players you want but if you lose a centre half in a game and don’t really have an adequate stand in it’s going to be difficult to win football matches. 

Not too disheartened. Airdrie did well, played their little triangles to get out of the press in their own half and scored when they got the chance. Be really interested to see the foul not given on Stanton when he’s in in the first half. Seen those (and a lot less) given and red cards shown. Equally thought Easton could’ve had a penalty in the first half. Stanton’s effort off the post almost goal of the season. Any one of those goes our way it’s a different game. Never mind, onto next week, still been a great start to the season. 

Edit: I actually thought it looked like Brown and Millen were unwell. Never seen Brown so lethargic and lacking in energy. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to hear that was the case. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

The biggest thing for me is we need to start playing good football. I know that sounds stupid but we have almost coasted our games being poor but then relying on subs to change the game. 

We need to get the lineup and tactics right from the start. Having a good bench should be a bonus not a tactic