Airdrieonians v Raith

5 hours ago, buchan30 said:

I know that there is a car park ar the back of the stadium, how quickly does that fill up? Is it better trying to get parked in the surrounding areas?

You should get parked in the away car park no bother, just don't turn up 2 minutes before kick off although even then you may be okay.

20 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

You should get parked in the away car park no bother, just don't turn up 2 minutes before kick off although even then you may be okay.

Cheers, hoping to be there not long after 2pm, that way we have plenty time if we can’t get parked in the car park. I have only ever rocked up a few minutes before kick off for an away game and that was due to traffic on the A9. 

38 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Cheers, hoping to be there not long after 2pm, that way we have plenty time if we can’t get parked in the car park. I have only ever rocked up a few minutes before kick off for an away game and that was due to traffic on the A9. 

Genuinely if you don't fancy paying to get in the car park, there's plenty streets round about (including my own) that are absolutely fine and within 5 mins walk...  holly Street, willow drive, bankhead avenue, crowood, then in Petersburn there's plenty on Varnsdorf way and the streets just off it 👍

10 hours ago, buchan30 said:

I know that there is a car park ar the back of the stadium, how quickly does that fill up? Is it better trying to get parked in the surrounding areas?

Now the grand sum of three quid for the pleasure of the away car park

But as others say a prompt arrival in nearby streets is available.

I have rarely seen us beat Raith, home or away, for some time but it would be good to dent your good start and give the ex Diamonds a salutary defeat. 

However after the Arbroath experience, I have yet to restore my optimism. 

10 hours ago, buchan30 said:

This is the ground where we won our third (two and halfth) diddy cup, so it has warm memories for me, even though it was baltic that day.

It was easy enough to get parked near the ground when we were there for the cup final.

Hopefully another late winner to send the away crowd mental.

Should be an interesting game on Saturday with plenty of former Diamonds involved with Raith now. Most predicted Airdrie to struggle this season but they started well and got early points on the board to settle the nerves. 2 wins and 3 defeats sees them 7th currently but a poor result against Arbroath will have perhaps dented the confidence a little.  Poor record in recent years against us but as we showed on Saturday records are eventually broken. Hopefully we can continue our great start by nicking the points but Airdrie will be out to make a statement to Murray and the former Airdrie players. Hopefully a decent crowd for this one, do Airdrie still have their “Make Airdrie Great Again” Trump banner? 

On 17/09/2023 at 20:46, CALDERON said:

I'm a bit dissapointed with how Hamilton has been in front of goal, but we are really seeing the benefit of having an actual centre forward.

On holiday for this one, do Airdrie offer a streaming service?  

Yeh there should be details posted already on Twitter 

Hopefully we fulfilled our annual freak result quota last Saturday as I cannot take another drubbing. 

Raith are considerably better than Arbroath and as we know Smith, Easton and McGill can run riot when they want so we need to be right on it.

In saying that, we can also be considerably better than what Saturday showed and it only takes a quick goal for us to get our tails up.

McStravick is a big miss as he has shown glimpses of magic. I’d play the following team:

Rae

Ballantyne, Fordyce, Hancock, Watson

Frizzell McMaster Aiken

Mcgill Todorov Gallagher 

Edited by Diamond1924

I think we need a bit of a change in attack from the team that started against Inverness.  Hopefully Stanton is ok for this one but if not we know Vaughan or Easton can play that role.   Assuming Stanton is out or only fit enough for bench i'd go with this.  Only change would be Stanton starting if fit enough. 

Dabrowski

Millen  Watson  Murray  Dick

Brown  Byrne

Mullin  Easton  Smith

Hamilton

I actually don't think we've played that well this season, certainly I'm pleasantly surprised to be on 13 out of 15 points. If you had told me that with 8 mins to go at Firhill, I'd have assumed you were on glue.

Id probably be looking to get at least one of Easton or Mullin back in for this, and to be honest it would be Vaughan or Smith who drop out.

We haven't been getting anywhere near enough from Hamilton in front of goal, but he's a genuine number 9 and gives us a lot.  The break for Gullans goal came from Hamilton winning a header in the box, a fucking novelty in recent times.

Don't know much about Airdrie but they've started the season well.  Point here would be absolutely fine.

Edited by CALDERON

16 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Should be an interesting game on Saturday with plenty of former Diamonds involved with Raith now. Most predicted Airdrie to struggle this season but they started well and got early points on the board to settle the nerves. 2 wins and 3 defeats sees them 7th currently but a poor result against Arbroath will have perhaps dented the confidence a little.  Poor record in recent years against us but as we showed on Saturday records are eventually broken. Hopefully we can continue our great start by nicking the points but Airdrie will be out to make a statement to Murray and the former Airdrie players. Hopefully a decent crowd for this one, do Airdrie still have their “Make Airdrie Great Again” Trump banner? 

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

58 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I actually don't think we've played that well this season, certainly I'm pleasantly surprised to be on 13 out of 15 points. If you had told me that with 8 mins to go at Firhill, I'd have assumed you were on glue.

Id probably be looking to get at least one of Easton or Mullin back in for this, and to be honest it would be Vaughan or Smith who drop out.

We haven't been getting anywhere near enough from Hamilton in front of goal, but he's a genuine number 9 and gives us a lot.  The break for Gullans goal came from Hamilton winning a header in the box, a fucking novelty in recent times.

Don't know much about Airdrie but they've started the season well.  Point here would be absolutely fine.

Agree with this and the team posted by @Rover1990 if Stanton is fit, he comes in for Smith and Easton goes on the left IMO. Think the width provided by Mullin is really important. Harsh on Smith and Vaughan but such is the competition in attacking areas, if you have poor/ineffective games like they did at the weekend, your position will be under threat.

I agree there hasn’t been a game I’ve walked away from this season thinking we are brilliant and have a serious chance of challenging Dundee United for the league. At this stage if we did go on a bad run, you could probably say there were some warning signs in the games played so far. However, it is to be expected with the amount of new players joining that the fluidity might take some time to come, I hope we have another gear or two still to go up as things gel further. We’ve not been bad by any stretch, we have shown good quality in games, it just tends to be in spells or a half at most rather than the majority of a game but I suppose it is part and parcel of how competitive a league the Championship is that teams are rarely dominant for 90 minutes.

What can’t be argued is the extra experience, resilience and depth to the squad. We look a lot more streetwise and a lot more direct than last year with Hamilton as the focal point which we totally missed last year, I thought he was excellent on Saturday. Last season we were far too predictable and naive in our play games and that, along with many other things seems greatly improved.

The next 4 games to end the quarter will give us a real indication of where we’re at, 3 tough but winnable away games against Airdrie, Ayr and Arbroath with our only home game against Dundee United. Years of watching the Rovers have made me pretty pessimistic and I expect there will be a bump or two coming up in these games but if we could manage 7/8 points I’d start to have some real confidence we can be in the mix for the top 2/3 positions.

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Hopefully we fulfilled our annual freak result quota last Saturday as I cannot take another drubbing. 

Raith are considerably better than Arbroath and as we know Smith, Easton and McGill can run riot when they want so we need to be right on it.

In saying that, we can also be considerably better than what Saturday showed and it only takes a quick goal for us to get our tails up.

McStravick is a big miss as he has shown glimpses of magic. I’d play the following team:

Rae

Ballantyne, Fordyce, Hancock, Watson

Frizzell McMaster Aiken

Mcgill Todorov Gallagher 

The changes I can see are Aiken replacing McCabe, McGill replacing O'Connor and possibly Hancock replacing Watson switching over to left back.

I'm not sure that front 3 would work with Gallagher being played as a winger, wouldn't be against Todorov starting but I think it'll be a front 3 of McGill, Gal and McGregor.

We definitely miss Callum Smith on that wide left position, hope he and all of the ex Airdrie players have stinkers on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

The changes I can see are Aiken replacing McCabe, McGill replacing O'Connor and possibly Hancock replacing Watson switching over to left back.

I'm not sure that front 3 would work with Gallagher being played as a winger, wouldn't be against Todorov starting but I think it'll be a front 3 of McGill, Gal and McGregor.

We definitely miss Callum Smith on that wide left position, hope he and all of the ex Airdrie players have stinkers on Saturday.

Agree with all of this. I'd probably play Watson again, he was excellent before his injury, but could see Hancock coming in as you say.

Gallagher on the wing as a tribute to when Ian Murray used to play him out there and Callum Smith on his own in the middle. 

On 18/09/2023 at 17:30, Mr November said:

It’s slightly more of a walk to the away end but I find the new Lidl car park is the best place these days. Generally plenty of spaces, no time limits, short walk to the ground and usually out pretty quickly.

This is where I have been parking too and gives a quick exit onto the A73 even turning right northbound. Always worth checking though that they've not put up any new parking restriction signs since previous visit.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Narrow front three for me! Feel we went for a more narrow approach in the Falkirk playoff first leg and they couldn’t live with us

Edited by Diamond1924