Queen's Park vs Ayr - Friday Night Fitba'!

It has been a chastening few weeks to be a QP fan. We have certainly had a bit of a wake up call. 

As I have said on other threads, I am not scared of getting beat, especially when we are playing kids, but I do expect us to be gunning for goals.  The last few weeks have seen us cavalier at the back and conservative at the front. I am pretty sure you need to flip that about to be successful in football.  "Perfect is the enemy of good" said Voltaire (centre half, Cumnock Juniors😉), a point our forwards need to bear in mind when we attack. Let's stop looking for the perfect goal and be a bit more direct around the box and warm the keepers hands, and the fans hearts. 

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

It has been a chastening few weeks to be a QP fan. We have certainly had a bit of a wake up call. 

As I have said on other threads, I am not scared of getting beat, especially when we are playing kids, but I do expect us to be gunning for goals.  The last few weeks have seen us cavalier at the back and conservative at the front. I am pretty sure you need to flip that about to be successful in football.  "Perfect is the enemy of good" said Voltaire (centre half, Cumnock Juniors😉), a point our forwards need to bear in mind when we attack. Let's stop looking for the perfect goal and be a bit more direct around the box and warm the keepers hands, and the fans hearts. 

You literally scored three goals against Bala Town last week, and two goals the week prior against one of the best teams in the league with ten men. 

You guys are quite clearly playing at being shite…

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Vs Arbroath, QP created a lot of chances, but failed to convert.  I missed the Thistle game but vs Rovers we created far less and were fortunate to capitalise on two defensive howlers.  The Pars game we created virtually nothing and that reversal, as you point out, is the most alarming thing and what is driving the openness at the back as Fox, Robson and Longridge tried to push up and support.  Nobody starting in that 10 position seems able to find Paton and as someone previously mentioned earlier, despite having at least one unit of a CB, the set pieces were atrocious.  

The less said about using our most mobile midfielder to shore up the defence (which then still shipped two goals), the better.

Have a bad feeling about this as we continue trying to walk the ball into the net and, to quote the player himself, "defend like Eze".  Ayr have had a bad start in the league but have been up against some decent and improving sides. Think its going to be tough to get something out of this. 

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

You literally scored three goals against Bala Town last week, and two goals the week prior against one of the best teams in the league with ten men. 

You guys are quite clearly playing at being shite…

With no disrespect intended to either I would suggest beating Bala is a bit like beating Darvel i.e. a good small town team that a full time professional club should see off.  A very spirited performance against Rovers last week but our goals came from defensive howlers and I am struggling to remember any chances aside from that. The less said about last Saturday the better.

This game could go one of two ways, Ayr get at least a point and start to slowly turn a corner or we continue to ship points and goals for another week. 

Against Thistle, we looked better in some areas but the same or worse in others, specifically defending anything. And with only Musonda, Ahui and Ecripont in reserve, I don't see much changing in that department. 

1-1 Dowds in the first 10 minutes, equaliser just before half time. 

18 hours ago, GuyIncognito said:

Looks unlikely I'll be able to make this one. Any chance of there being a stream due to being outwith blackout hours?

I would imagine there's next to no chance of that. Don't think we've provided a stream since lockdown.

12 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

We cannot be as poor as Saturday. My big fear is it is a Friday evening game. They were a disaster last season.

Including the playoffs, we played 14 Friday night games last season, winning 4, drawing 4 and losing 6. The 'home' record was played 10, won 3, drawn 3 and lost 4. Bearing in mind we won 17 games in the league last season, 12 of those were on Saturdays (plus the 2nd of January game against Thistle). Really quite a marked difference.

4 hours ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Including the playoffs, we played 14 Friday night games last season, winning 4, drawing 4 and losing 6. The 'home' record was played 10, won 3, drawn 3 and lost 4. Bearing in mind we won 17 games in the league last season, 12 of those were on Saturdays (plus the 2nd of January game against Thistle). Really quite a marked difference.

Am I right in saying we didn't win any that were televised either?, (looking for any straws to clutch at!)