Queen's Park vs Ayr - Friday Night Fitba'!

1 hour ago, Shibuya said:

Two managers badly in need of a win to keep the hounds at bay: who's getting the sack first, Bullen or Veldman?

Veldman is nowhere near the sack. I’m at the concerned stage and am hoping it’s teething problems. A good win changes the mood rapidly. A defeat with Tannadice looming large would only add to any sense of unease. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I had contemplated maybe putting Smith in front of him for protection but I genuinely think he might be our best right back at this point. McAllister will be so exposed on the wide pitch and Ahui is just dire. You could maybe put Musonda at right back and keep McGinty but I’m not sure he’s all that suited to playing full back. 

It’s ridiculous that after last season we’re now far worse off at right back than left back. 

At worst, he will be better going forward but naiver defensively - the upside should be that his development could be rapid. I’m just not sure in this confidence drainer of a side though! I can’t remember which side Dom Thomas plays off either - he’ll rip apart whenever is up against him regardless. 

Not just that we are worse at RB than LB,  but the fact we are actually worse at RB than last season too is impressive. 

I forgot it was at Hampden, if Bullen doesn’t play Amartey to exploit all that space I just don’t know what to say anymore. 

1 hour ago, GuyIncognito said:

So it seems like the problems are:

- Bad substitutions/game management

- Ineffective style of play

- Numerous players not good enough

- Too many young guys in the squad

- General lack of options in key areas

Yeah, pretty much the same down here.

🤝 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

At worst, he will be better going forward but naiver defensively - the upside should be that his development could be rapid. I’m just not sure in this confidence drainer of a side though! I can’t remember which side Dom Thomas plays off either - he’ll rip apart whenever is up against him regardless. 

Not just that we are worse at RB than LB,  but the fact we are actually worse at RB than last season too is impressive. 

I forgot it was at Hampden, if Bullen doesn’t play Amartey to exploit all that space I just don’t know what to say anymore. 

Iirc in the 2-3 at the start of last season, in the second half did we not nullify Thomas etc by pressing really high and playing most of the half in QPs half? I might be completely misremembering as it was a year ago but we allowed Thomas the freedom of the pitch in the first half and he shredded us. If we're that bad in the fullback areas and they have known wide threats I don't know why we can't revert to that. I've a feeling though that was pre-Mullin and Chalmers and so you could sort of sacrifice Ashford and McKenzie to do all the pressing. 

Edited by Jeff Venom

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I can’t remember which side Dom Thomas plays off either

He played off neither side on Saturday just there. We stuck him in the middle and was completely ineffective. At his best, he’s tremendous off the left side, linking up with Tommy Robson but we’ve proceeded to stop playing them both on the left side at the same time now and have since lost every game. Tactical masterclass 

2 minutes ago, qpfc said:

He played off neither side on Saturday just there. We stuck him in the middle and was completely ineffective. At his best, he’s tremendous off the left side, linking up with Tommy Robson but we’ve proceeded to stop playing them both on the left side at the same time now and have since lost every game. Tactical masterclass 

So he'll be on the left on Friday then. 

28 minutes ago, an86 said:

Veldman is nowhere near the sack. I’m at the concerned stage and am hoping it’s teething problems. A good win changes the mood rapidly. A defeat with Tannadice looming large would only add to any sense of unease. 

Surely the sack race is between Bullen and Dodds? 

Im missing this one as I’m at the racing, can’t say I’m at all bothered. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Iirc in the 2-3 at the start of last season, in the second half did we not nullify Thomas etc by pressing really high and playing most of the half in QPs half? I might be completely misremembering as it was a year ago but we allowed Thomas the freedom of the pitch in the first half and he shredded us. If we're that bad in the fullback areas and they have known wide threats I don't know why we can't revert to that. I've a feeling though that was pre-Mullin and Chalmers and so you could sort of sacrifice Ashford and McKenzie to do all the pressing. 

That was the only QP game I didn’t see last season, so no idea!

Yeah - our only quality is out wide so we don’t want them acting like second full backs, but our full backs are so poor defensively they need lots of help so it’s not the best situation. I think I would be tempted to sit in, be hard to beat and just try and hit them with Amartey’s pace on the counter or a direct ball into Dowds. 

6 minutes ago, qpfc said:

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

So he'll be on the left on Friday then. 

The thought of him on the left hand side is terrifying. Not that the other side would be much better mind. 

So, is this game going to be heralded as the battle of the leaky defence? 
Is it going to be one of those games where the least toothless strike force will prevail? 
This could be a world record highest score draw game, and it’ll be played out live on tv. 
I’ll either sit doon wi a wee dram and watch this, or spend the evening picking fluff oot my copious belly button with long nose pliers (I found wan o the dugs squeaky toys in there last week)