Kelty v Kelpies Klassiko

Right, this was the scene for a classic McGlynn tinkering clusterfuck last season in the first encounter, although we did better in the second encounter.

While the Board have invested heavily in squad additions, for once, it’s starting to pay off, and in terms of quality, I don’t think there’s a squad as good as ours in this league.
 Having said that, last Saturday, we were far too predictable in our attacking play (and worryingly unpredictable in some of our defensive play).

Brad Spencer was the difference between a cracking 3 points, and a turgid 1 point.

Anyway, the return of Miller and Alfie could improve us massively (but the chances of both returning looks slim at best).

Provided McGlynn leaves his traditional autumn tinkering book in the boot of his car, we shouldn’t lose this game, but we need something more in our locker than endlessly pinging it out to Morrison and hoping for the best.

Win this, and the upgrade in momentum would be massive. Therefore I will go for an upbeat 1-3 Bairns win.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

7 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Right, this was the scene for a classic McGlynn tinkering clusterfuck last season in the first encounter, although we did better in the second encounter.

While the Board have invested heavily in squad additions, for once, it’s starting to pay off. Last Saturday, we were far too predictable in our attacking play (and worryingly unpredictable in some of our defensive play).

Up until our most valuable player Brad Spencer stepped up to the plate…..

Anyway, the return of Miller and Alfie could improve us massively (but the chances of both returning looks slim at best).

Provided McGlynn leaves his traditional autumn tinkering book in the boot of his car, we shouldn’t lose this game, but we need something more in our locker than endlessly pinging it out to Morrison and hoping for the best.

Win this, and the upgrade in momentum would be massive. Therefore I will go for an upbeat 1-3 Bairns win.

Tinkering ?

We don't have the size of a squad to do so especially this weekend with the injuries we are carrying, I'd guess only Oliver might be in contention to start from last week's 11.

Last time at Kelty McGlynn obviously wanted his first choice of Mackie at left back and shoe horned McCann at the right back which was a woeful decision and we got bullied all over the park. 

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Tinkering ?

We don't have the size of a squad to do so especially this weekend with the injuries we are carrying, I'd guess only Oliver might be in contention to start from last week's 11.

Last time at Kelty McGlynn obviously wanted his first choice of Mackie at left back and shoe horned McCann at the right back which was a woeful decision and we got bullied all over the park. 

Yep, that move was classic McGlynn tinkering. He has absolutely no need to indulge in change for the sake of change as even our weakened team are doing just fine.

Sure, bring back the likes of Miller and Alfie when available, but that should be about it. Ethan Ross is going to get game time (probably ahead of Nesbitt), and I reckon McGlynn will play him at every opportunity.

Just no more of last season’s baffling nonsense.

Drawn our last two league games which we should've or could've won , hopefully have Moore and CJ back and also new signing tonight apparently, Walker back from suspension so hopefully full squad for Saturday, evening kick off for the tele so predicting a 2-1 Kelty win for the cameras 

Mon Kelty 

Same team as Saturday please as assuming Agyeman and Miller will still be out. We missed the pace and directness of both on Saturday but another chance for Ross and Nesbitt to step up. Confident Ross will improve with game time/ fitness and give us a threat down the left 

Tbf to McGlynn since that Kelty game last season he's tended to generally leave winning sides alone 

Yet another BBC appearance for our good #boxoffice selves 

This will be a tough game I think. For a couple of different reasons. Firstly, kelty were certainly a bogey team of ours last season. Kelty won 2, Falkirk won 1 and the other game was a 0-0 draw at the Falkirk stadium. However, it will be interesting (and almost a necessity that we don’t have any bogey teams this season) if Mcglynn can get one up on kelty this season. Secondly, we have injuries to key players. We are such a different team with miller and Agyeman and both will be sorely missed. Do we still have enough to beat kelty? I definitely think so but we do need to make sure we put a better performance in than last week. Otherwise we risk a draw or potentially even worse. I think Mcglynn will go with the same team as last week. However, I would love to see him try McIver and Allan. Even if it’s with McIver playing in behind the striker. I like Nesbitt but he dosent get close enough to the striker, dosent have any real pace to beat a man ( like Ageyman has) and drops too deep at times. I think Mciver and Allan would make us much more dangerous. I’m going for 1-1 draw or a 2-1 Falkirk. Morrison and/or Lang with the goals. 

Edited by Big chungus

On 19/09/2023 at 14:22, MrDust said:

Tinkering ?

McGlynn wants Mackie first choice at left back full stop. For one reason or another it hasn't happened thank god. Both he and McCann are out of contract at the end of the season and regardless of which League we are in McGlynn( if he's still the manager) gives Mackie another contract over McCann then there needs to be a stewards enquiry, Mackie is rank rotten at left back and he's got no chance of getting a game at centre half . On the game I think it's safe to assume Agyeman is still out. Think we win by two goals. MacIver and Morrison 

Edited by ebobsboy

50 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

McGlynn wants Mackie first choice at left back full stop. For one reason or another it hasn't happened thank god. Both he and McCann are out of contract at the end of the season and regardless of which League we are in McGlynn( if he's still the manager) gives Mackie another contract over McCann then there needs to be a stewards enquiry, Mackie is rank rotten at left back and he's got no chance of getting a game at centre half . On the game I think it's safe to assume Agyeman is still out. Think we win by two goals. MacIver and Morrison 

Mackie is not “rank rotten” at all.

Different type of player than McCann but a good option to have.

Shouts for McIver in behind Allan are wild, not for me and we won't see 2 out and out strikers up top.

Even if the fans want McGlynn to change the system, he won't.  We have plenty options at 10 and Ross, Lawal and Nesbitt can all cover on the left.

I don't think the performance was that poor last week, Queens just sat in and defended the box really well.  

We do need to be able to change things up a bit in those situations but more through not repeating the same patterns of play and trying something a little different on occasion.

Edited by MulsonFFC

I think a 4-4-2 (with say Ross-Henderson-Spencer-Morrison as the 4 and then MacIver and Allan up front) could work well but feel there would be less options to fit that from the bench. We've seen Ola struggle when played in a less advanced role, likewise Oliver and Nesbitt who are both best in the 10. I suppose you could maybe play Bisland and move Yeats into midfield but this is all starting to get very tinker-ey which is exactly what cost us in the first game at Kelty last season.

No need to change a winning side imo. Queens were a tougher nut to crack than we expected but we aren't going to batter teams every week. Look at Dunfermline last season, what matters is the 3 points.

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I think a 4-4-2 (with say Ross-Henderson-Spencer-Morrison as the 4 and then MacIver and Allan up front) could work well but feel there would be less options to fit that from the bench. We've seen Ola struggle when played in a less advanced role, likewise Oliver and Nesbitt who are both best in the 10. I suppose you could maybe play Bisland and move Yeats into midfield but this is all starting to get very tinker-ey which is exactly what cost us in the first game at Kelty last season.

No need to change a winning side imo. Queens were a tougher nut to crack than we expected but we aren't going to batter teams every week. Look at Dunfermline last season, what matters is the 3 points.

Only Change I would make is Oliver in for Nesbitt.

12 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Mackie is not “rank rotten” at all.

Different type of player than McCann but a good option to have.

I agree. I feel that McCann is far better, certainly going forward and he's probably a better defender as well (despite his height), but we need a squad and, as you say, he's a good option to have if McCann is unavailable. I do fear though that McGlynn will free McCann and keep Mackie next season when he should be keeping both.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I do fear though that McGlynn will free McCann and keep Mackie next season when he should be keeping both.

Not if we don’t win the league he doesn’t.

6 hours ago, MulsonFFC said:

Shouts for McIver in behind Allan are wild.

Yes and no. MacIver is at his best arriving late into the box. A midfielder or two going past him to occupy the centre backs last Saturday would have made a big difference imho. MacIver played into Ambrose’s hands by ending up standing next to him rather than arriving late to get onto the end of the cross balls.

So when we have the ball on the flanks, MacIver doesn’t have to be “leading the line” at that point. Him holding back and arriving a little later might be a major plus for us.

7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Yes and no. MacIver is at his best arriving late into the box. A midfielder or two going past him to occupy the centre backs last Saturday would have made a big difference imho. MacIver played into Ambrose’s hands by ending up standing next to him rather than arriving late to get onto the end of the cross balls.

So when we have the ball on the flanks, MacIver doesn’t have to be “leading the line” at that point. Him holding back and arriving a little later might be a major plus for us.

He can do that in the current system, that's entirely a point of personal improvement rather than an issue with the system.

The title of this post reminds me of an article on Clydebank (in The Absolute Game I think). The Bankies programme had features in it called "Kilbowie Klippings" "Kilbowie Komment" etc. and the author commented "this is why the Bankies were known as the Kilbowie Kunts"