Aberdeen v Ross County, Sunday 3pm (big double header match, cup later Wed...)

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Incredible that Ross County didn’t get 2 players sent off.

No idea of their names. Don’t care.

Robertson was weak, & Collum on VAR, WTF was he watching? 

This is the first hammer throwing incident

The Dundee player Josh Mulligan got sent off yesterday for less than both those horror tackles today.

As mentioned elsewhere, given the retrospective ban of Clarkson I hope the Brown tackle is reviewed and he's subsequently suspended.

Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 2.40.59 PM.png

Edited by HarleyQuinn

Just now, HarleyQuinn said:

The Dundee player Josh Mulligan got sent off yesterday for less than both those horror tackles today.

As mentioned elsewhere, given the retrospective ban of Clarkson I hope the Brown tackle is reviewed and he's subsequently suspended.

We should do what fat Malky did & publicly complain about it like he did with Clarkson.

It’s inexplicable that Collum on VAR did f**k all. 
I hope we ask the SFA for an explanation. 
We won’t.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I couldn’t make the game today but clearly a big improvement. Anyone who was there got any insight into what we did differently? Just better individual performances or any change of shape?

I'm not as tactically astute as you, but for me there were a few things. Gartenmann and Jensen took control at the back. Barron was superb on the ball and looking to get us up the park at all times. Shinnie had a great game and back to last season's form. More play was going through midfield and very little just lumping it up the park. Plus, you could see the confidence return to our play after the first goal. Also think that the way we played in Frankfurt has given the team a belief that they can play.

36 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I'm not as tactically astute as you, but for me there were a few things. Gartenmann and Jensen took control at the back. Barron was superb on the ball and looking to get us up the park at all times. Shinnie had a great game and back to last season's form. More play was going through midfield and very little just lumping it up the park. Plus, you could see the confidence return to our play after the first goal. Also think that the way we played in Frankfurt has given the team a belief that they can play.

Cheers min. Fantastic to hear Barron was back to looking like the player we had a couple of seasons ago. It’s been an odd period where he’s just disappeared. 

Based purely on the highlights it looked like duk was back to something we know and love, some brilliant contributions. Miovski continues to look like a really serious striker now. 

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I couldn’t make the game today but clearly a big improvement. Anyone who was there got any insight into what we did differently? Just better individual performances or any change of shape?

Simplistically, we didn’t just hump the ball forward hopefully & hopelessly.

Scoring the first goal (as is usually the case) was very important today.

Saw the highlights this morning. From a Ross County POV:

Goal 1. I agree with Malky in that you just have to accept the improvisation deserves the goal.

Goal 2. Laughable. Turner shirks the 50/50. Brown slips. Randall and Reid bust a gut to get back to salvage an impossible situation. Turner should be trying to make amends but doesn't even make the party, let alone being late to it.

Goal 3. A bit of a system issue. The two strikers are out of the game and Aberdeen create an overload. Brown has to come inside to face the ball but that stretches the defence. It's not helped by Turner avoiding to take responsibility for tracking McGrath into the area. Turner ends up checking to go in the other direction! So bad. 

Goal 4. What a mess. great assist by Duk and you shouldn't take anything away from Miovski putting Baldwin down and the sharp finish. That's the second week in a row that Laidlaw has let in a near-post finish, however. Miovski didn't need Duk again but Duk was left free by Dhanda, who didn't want to cross the threshold into the area.

If County continue with Turner and Dhanda in a three-man midfield, there are plenty teams who will tear into them. Either Randall needs to never leave the zone in front of the D, or he needs another midfelder beside him who can track and put in a challenge. We might see either Scott High or Scott Allardice play on Wednesday.

Edited by bunglebonce

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

Saw the highlights this morning. From a Ross County POV:

Goal 1. I agree with Malky in that you just have to accept the improvisation deserves the goal.

Goal 2. Laughable. Turner shirks the 50/50. Brown slips. Randall and Reid bust a gut to get back to salvage an impossible situation. Turner should be trying to make amends but doesn't even make the party, let alone being late to it.

Goal 3. A bit of a system issue. The two strikers are out of the game and Aberdeen create an overload. Brown has to come inside to face the ball but that stretches the defence. It's not helped by Turner avoiding to take responsibility for tracking McGrath into the area. Turner ends up checking to go in the other direction! So bad. 

Goal 4. What a mess. great assist by Duk and you shouldn't take anything away from Miovski putting Baldwin down and the sharp finish. That's the second week in a row that Laidlaw has let in a near-post finish, however. Miovski didn't need Duk again but Duk was left free by Dhanda, who didn't want to cross the threshold into the area.

If County continue with Turner and Dhanda in a three-man midfield, there are plenty teams who will tear into them. Either Randall needs to never leave the zone in front of the D, or he needs another midfelder beside him who can track and put in a challenge. We might see either Scott High or Scott Allardice play on Wednesday.

I really like James Brown, he's a definite upgrade at RB but that was terrible, for the break away goal. Turner for the 3rd was baffling, why just stop tracking McGrath 🤯

We're badly missing a Scott Allardice type player, hopefully he's not far away from returning after lasting 10 mins in the opening game of the season.

Great win yesterday and much better all-round performance. I thought we looked fairly comfortable all game which is a complete turn-up for the books after recent games. Ruby seems to be much more at ease with the Jensen and Gartmann on either side, not sure what in all means for Macdonald if he is fit though. McGarry injury looks like a pulled hammy so that's a good few weeks out which is a shame but we've cover so no massive issue. 

Barron was brilliant I thought, best game since he signed his Adidas deal, great to see it paying off. Shinnie is going to tire this season I think but we have quite a few options in there now as well so we should cope. 

Duk has found his mojo again, much more confident and direct in his play and you could tell his goal meant a lot. Hopefully that starts a wee scoring run for him now. 

Everything has been said on Miovski, top class and adding 0's to his price tag when he inevitably leaves. Pape and Sokler didn't look like offering much late on though, Pape in particular seemed to be trying a bit too hard and looked clumsy. 

Let's see what Robson can do on Wednesday though. McKay will have learned from that and will make sure it doesn't happen again so we need to alter our approach as well. 

This performance surprised me as I thought there would be a drop off from Thursday due to European game but in a positive way it has actually gave us confidence. We didn't start that well be once we got the goal the confidence came right back and we played some delightful football after that with all the players putting in a great shift. Players are now starting to settle in after a major changes so hopefully we will kick on for the season. 

Edited by betting competition

First game I've seen for a while and feared the worst for 20 mins or so but very pleasing bar the start. 

The back 3 looked fine; Gartenmann and Jensen looking the part and Rubi bar the odd positional faux pas was decent.

Hard to be negative of anyone which makes a nice change. Barron deserves all the plaudits tho, strolled it. 

One little thing that surprised me was Solker, appears he has quite the burst of pace about him.

Anything official from the club regarding the assault on Hayes? Did the fat racist mention it at all?

Same again Wednesday pls.