Annan v Queens

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Lewis Gibson offers us something that nobody else does - he has great delivery from both flanks, he can score goals and he can beat players in the final third to create chances. To me he has been deployed in totally the wrong position from the word go and that includes when his father was Manager. He has never ever in my opinion displayed the characteristics of a wing back and yet most of his appearances have been in this position. The defensive side of the role negates what he is really good at.

He should be playing as a wide midfielder in a 4 or a wide attacker in a front 3 preferably the latter where he can concentrate on creating and scoring goals. It is rare for us to have a local talent like Lewis and we are making a great job of arsing it up. 

When he is fit and not playing against his Dad he should start every week as an out and out winger in a front 3

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Lewis Gibson offers us something that nobody else does - he has great delivery from both flanks, he can score goals and he can beat players in the final third to create chances. To me he has been deployed in totally the wrong position from the word go and that includes when his father was Manager. He has never ever in my opinion displayed the characteristics of a wing back and yet most of his appearances have been in this position. The defensive side of the role negates what he is really good at.

He should be playing as a wide midfielder in a 4 or a wide attacker in a front 3 preferably the latter where he can concentrate on creating and scoring goals. It is rare for us to have a local talent like Lewis and we are making a great job of arsing it up. 

I don’t disagree with the sentiment. But that isn’t the system we are playing. 

Bartley’s preferred formation at the start of the season was a 4 at the back. Again though, we’re having to make up for failings in our defence and seem to have resorted mostly to a 3 at the back. I’ve not made it to the last few games, but understand it’s maybe been a 4 but with Paul McKay in front of the defence for the last couple.

I’d actually quite like to see what Gibson would be like in a central ‘number 10’ or floating role. When fit, he should be starting more games than not for me.  

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

When he is fit and not playing against his Dad he should start every week as an out and out winger in a front 3

Strange comment. Why would you not want him to play against his dad,  surely that would give him more of an incentive to play well?

1 hour ago, JK_Queens said:

I don’t disagree with the sentiment. But that isn’t the system we are playing. 

Bartley’s preferred formation at the start of the season was a 4 at the back. Again though, we’re having to make up for failings in our defence and seem to have resorted mostly to a 3 at the back. I’ve not made it to the last few games, but understand it’s maybe been a 4 but with Paul McKay in front of the defence for the last couple.

I’d actually quite like to see what Gibson would be like in a central ‘number 10’ or floating role. When fit, he should be starting more games than not for me.  

The big question I have ..................................is the system(s) actually working??

I think we know the answer to that question. Surely if we have a player with ability we want to exploit his attributes especially when it comes in the form of goals and goal creation. Notwithstanding the fitness issue I honestly find it incredible how little game time Lewis gets when I repeatedly see underperforming colleagues getting the nod ahead of him.

To be fair I am arguing against myself a bit as I think the Gibson "boat has sailed".........................we have failed to secure him on a longer term deal and by not playing him any remote chance of him being here next season has all but gone. 

24 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

He is isn’t going to make his dad look foolish is he…

On the flip side his dad maybe wouldn't want Lewis to look foolish so might be more of a reason to play him. Doubt very much if players actually think about the feelings of their opponents during games, they are supposed to be professionals after all. It's fairly common for family members (brothers, cousins etc) to play against each other. 

46 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

To be fair I am arguing against myself a bit as I think the Gibson "boat has sailed".........................we have failed to secure him on a longer term deal and by not playing him any remote chance of him being here next season has all but gone. 

He could be playing every week, there's not a chance he'd be signing with us long term unless he was rotten. We don't play him and he will be off as soon as possible for game time, we do play him and a bigger side would be in with a pre-contract. Obviously I'd prefer the latter so we at least get the benefit but we can't help injuries/fitness. Hopefully he's up to speed soon and we get to see him regularly for a spell. Regardless there's no scenario where a talented youngster commits long term to a club like ours. 

Edited by 19QOS19

Agree that there is zero prospect of a promising player signing a long term deal with us but if the player was developing and he was enjoying his football he might just think another year playing regular football was a decent stepping stone. Sitting on our bench getting thrown the odd 10 minutes here and there is not exactly making the player feel wanted. 

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Agree that there is zero prospect of a promising player signing a long term deal with us but if the player was developing and he was enjoying his football he might just think another year playing regular football was a decent stepping stone. Sitting on our bench getting thrown the odd 10 minutes here and there is not exactly making the player feel wanted. 

100% ^^^ this.

Interesting to watch those highlights. From my vantage point, I use that term very lightly, I didn’t get a good view of the action down the home end.

Reilly’s goal is a lot better than I had realised. With all those 6 feet plus guy’s pushing and clamouring for position there’s no way someone his hight should be scoring from a header 8 yards out in the centre of the goal. His cleaver movement, timing, and good header on the end of a fine cross was nice to see.

Goss must be so frustrating to watch week in week out as he wins near enough every header but looks as though he hasn’t the technique or ability to use that to the team’s benefit.

As has previously been mentioned, if Annan had won the game, 3 or 4 goals to 2 we’d have had no real complaints.

Yes, it’s still early but I think Annan will stay up even if that’s via the play-offs.