Annan v Queens

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

As someone said i have never came away from a game so down after a win .

We were miles off it a on form Goss and we lose that game .

We don't like the physical stuff only ball Annan lost in the air was for the goal  far to many passengers today .

We are miles away from a Top 4 team plus we lost our best defender bottom line we somehow  won move on 

God our supporters are a miserable bunch. 

we got a win to break our run despite being poor. 

Efe man of the match. Houston and Church solid. 

Ferguson and McKay did ok and Reilly ran his socks off. 

Sorry but Cochrane poor today and gave away possession in dangerous areas. 

I like Hutchison. I think there is a player there with good touches. Did more than Doherty did all game. 

On Gibson star player material but mostly injured this year and would you have brought him on against his Dad?!?

Next week is vital. Need to get a run going and start winning at home. 

At least gives Marv some time to get us going. 

Only downside is Bryson’s Injury looked bad. We carry little luck. 

On another day Annan would have hammered us…but they didn’t and we have the bragging rights and 3 points 

9 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Did he not pick up a knock against Arbroath?  I wondered if he missed some training during the week or just wasn't deemed to be fully fit today.

All the same, he may be a couple of years younger than most of our squad but he's definitely a better player, and as the old cliche goes "if you're good enough you're old enough" in my book.

It could well be that he is indeed unfit and if that is the case then that is a perfectly reasonable explanation but why put an unfit player on the bench. It sends the wrong signals especially when we have other players who haven’t made the bench but who are probably fully fit?

24 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Rumour I heard today was that young Gibson has been asking the Manager why he is getting so little game time. If true a perfectly reasonable question that most of us are asking?

Rumours are rumours. Was told from as good a source as you could get*, that he wasn't expecting to play a few weeks back due to his fitness but surprisingly got game time. I know certain folk want to use it as a rod to beat the manager with but it's quite possible Gibson just isn't 100% fit yet... 

* Not Gibson himself. 

1 minute ago, Rjc-1988 said:

It could well be that he is indeed unfit and if that is the case then that is a perfectly reasonable explanation but why put an unfit player on the bench. It sends the wrong signals especially when we have other players who haven’t made the bench but who are probably fully fit?

I do agree with this to a point. But give me a 50% fit Gibson over say a 100% fit Irving. 

The game didn't require us to score late on so I can see why MB wouldn't put Gibson on if he isn't 100%. Had we been needing a goal I reckon he'd have featured. 

Think if the manager feels young Gibson ain't fit he is doing the right thing long term not playing him in today's derby match. Lots of strong tackles. Another weeks training under his belt and let him loose at home against Cove next Saturday. 

Feel absolutely cheated after that game. Some dismal finishing coupled with, ahem, questionable refereeing. Have no idea why Docherty was booked in first half when he appeared to have been headbutted. Then Queens goal- their only attempt of note- coming from a free kick but no idea why that was given. Annan defence arguing about that and no one picked up their man. 

Personally speaking felt Tommy Goss was maybe trying too hard to prove a point.  Some of the headers he won would have been more effective being knocked back/down rather than goalwards. Still,  always gives 100% and never let's his head go down.

Certainly not impressed by Queens who I think will struggle for a top four place.  As for us  avoiding bottom is paramount and don't think seventh or eighth place is out of the question. Just takin a pragmatic view and not expecting miracles!

14 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

God our supporters are a miserable bunch. 

we got a win to break our run despite being poor. 

Efe man of the match. Houston and Church solid. 

Ferguson and McKay did ok and Reilly ran his socks off. 

Sorry but Cochrane poor today and gave away possession in dangerous areas. 

I like Hutchison. I think there is a player there with good touches. Did more than Doherty did all game. 

On Gibson star player material but mostly injured this year and would you have brought him on against his Dad?!?

Next week is vital. Need to get a run going and start winning at home. 

At least gives Marv some time to get us going. 

Only downside is Bryson’s Injury looked bad. We carry little luck. 

On another day Annan would have hammered us…but they didn’t and we have the bragging rights and 3 points 

You have been the only poster on here getting right behind Bartley and that is admirable given the dross we have turned out. 

But claiming you like Hutchison is a step too far. “nice touches” the guy couldn’t  trap the proverbial bag of cement and for being around six feet tall is absolutely terrible in the air. Late on a high ball was played over the top and he tried to bring it down twice and failed, after he eventually got it under some control he very quickly surrendered possession allowing another Annan attack. 

The performance yesterday just confirms what most fans have come to terms with that we are now a really average/poor league 1 side. Annan bossed the majority of the game and only awful finishing and some good goalkeeping kept us ahead. I am not confident that breaking the run of defeats will be the start of a good run as that god awful performance was arguably worse than some of the games we lost. 

Edited by Broony88

12 minutes ago, Hauftimedraw said:

Feel absolutely cheated after that game. Some dismal finishing coupled with, ahem, questionable refereeing. Have no idea why Docherty was booked in first half when he appeared to have been headbutted. Then Queens goal- their only attempt of note- coming from a free kick but no idea why that was given. Annan defence arguing about that and no one picked up their man. 

Personally speaking felt Tommy Goss was maybe trying too hard to prove a point.  Some of the headers he won would have been more effective being knocked back/down rather than goalwards. Still,  always gives 100% and never let's his head go down.

Certainly not impressed by Queens who I think will struggle for a top four place.  As for us  avoiding bottom is paramount and don't think seventh or eighth place is out of the question. Just takin a pragmatic view and not expecting miracles!

I’m not sure if it’s the same incident but if it is Docherty wasn’t head butted, McKechnie pushed him in the chest and he flung himself down like he had taken a punch from a heavyweight boxer. 

For being such a big guy Tommy Goss doesn’t half spent a lot of the game throwing himself to the ground under minimal contact, thankfully the ref was wise to it and didn’t buy any it. 

Edited by Broony88

26 minutes ago, Hauftimedraw said:

It wasn't pretty but it's goals that count. Even from the piss poor viewing point at the away end it looked a definite free kick leading to the winning goal. No one needs to point out we're a poor side, we're perfectly aware of that so it's no surprise that we will happily take any win by any means. Roll on the next meeting with Annan by which time there's hopefully more space between us in the table. 

43 minutes ago, Hauftimedraw said:

I thought the referee was actually ok yesterday. Thankfully for us he's clearly refereed Annan before and knows there are a few diving arseholes in the side. He may well have bought Smith's dive in the box in the second half and McKechnie could have been in serious trouble. I didn't get a decent look at the incident but given No. 8 throws himself around almost constantly then I'm confident it was another attempt at conning the ref. I said to my pal at the time "I'm guessing it's number 8 who's on the deck?". No surprise I was right. 

Agree we don't look good - no QoS fan would argue with you tbh. I think you're being a tad optimistic thinking Annan can get 7th though. The league is full of dross so you never know I suppose but if you can't put a goal past us it's not a good sign. I doubt many other sides will gift your best striker that many chances in a game so he really needs to sharpen up if you have any chance of staying up. 

3 hours ago, Broony88 said:

You have been the only poster on here getting right behind Bartley and that is admirable given the dross we have turned out. 

But claiming you like Hutchison is a step too far. “nice touches” the guy couldn’t  trap the proverbial bag of cement and for being around six feet tall is absolutely terrible in the air. Late on a high ball was played over the top and he tried to bring it down twice and failed, after he eventually got it under some control he very quickly surrendered possession allowing another Annan attack. 

The performance yesterday just confirms what most fans have come to terms with that we are now a really average/poor league 1 side. Annan bossed the majority of the game and only awful finishing and some good goalkeeping kept us ahead. I am not confident that breaking the run of defeats will be the start of a good run as that god awful performance was arguably worse than some of the games we lost. 

Footballs all about views. 

yes Bartley is raw but I like the discipline and fitness he has imposed and at last an intelligent approach to our football. It hasn’t worked for him this season ( albeit with a lot of injuries) and hopefully we inject a bit more experience and steel in January. For sure the last six defeats were unpleasant got us all. I still think Bartley is a refreshing change from the usual roundabout of tired, not very bright and uninspiring managerial wannabes. 

On Hutchison I just don’t agree. I think he has a deft touch and will come on to a game and get goals. I’m more concerned about Kyle Doherty who looks a couple of stone too heavy, is really slow and doesn’t look prolific. 

For the record I think we have been average/ poor for most of this season and this bunch of players need to do considerably better. 

3 hours ago, Broony88 said:

I’m not sure if it’s the same incident but if it is Docherty wasn’t head butted, McKechnie pushed him in the chest and he flung himself down like he had taken a punch from a heavyweight boxer. 

For being such a big guy Tommy Goss doesn’t half spent a lot of the game throwing himself to the ground under minimal contact, thankfully the ref was wise to it and didn’t buy any it. 

Agree with that. The way the Annan boy went down feigning injury in an attempt to get our player sent off was poor. Annan are always physical but yesterday they were game playing too. The Hooper booking with a Ford arm smash on McKechnie when he went past him was shocking.

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Agree with that. The way the Annan boy went down feigning injury in an attempt to get our player sent off was poor. Annan are always physical but yesterday they were game playing too. The Hooper booking with a Ford arm smash on McKechnie when he went past him was shocking.

McKechnie is lucky Hooper never gave him a Honda arm smash or he'd have been in trouble! 

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Footballs all about views. 

yes Bartley is raw but I like the discipline and fitness he has imposed and at last an intelligent approach to our football. It hasn’t worked for him this season ( albeit with a lot of injuries) and hopefully we inject a bit more experience and steel in January. For sure the last six defeats were unpleasant got us all. I still think Bartley is a refreshing change from the usual roundabout of tired, not very bright and uninspiring managerial wannabes. 

On Hutchison I just don’t agree. I think he has a deft touch and will come on to a game and get goals. I’m more concerned about Kyle Doherty who looks a couple of stone too heavy, is really slow and doesn’t look prolific. 

For the record I think we have been average/ poor for most of this season and this bunch of players need to do considerably better. 

I mean barring dropping our best defender when he was late I’m not sure what discipline he is implementing. I have heard from other fans that he has his favourites though and some slack has been given to them but not others. 

On the fitness part of your post I can’t really say we look any fitter than we have under previous managers,  the facts could say the opposite if anything.

We have lost goals from the 75th minute onwards in games on 7 occasions this season. We have scored 6 in the last 15 minutes of games two of which against a part time Edinburgh city.

Against full time clubs the late goal record is 2 scored and  4 conceded with it reading 4 scored - 3 conceded against part time sides. 

Now I know that isn’t fully fitness related but if we are much fitter we should be surely taking advantage of these part time sides tiring late in games but in truth yesterday we were backs to the wall struggling to get out of her own half for the majority of the last 15 minutes. 

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

I still think Bartley is a refreshing change from the usual roundabout of tired, not very bright and uninspiring managerial wannabes.

I can only think of one recent manager who'd fit that description.

So far i'm not convinced Bartley is any better/brighter.

Well that was one brutal game to watch from awful viewing positions for most paying punters.

We've certainly played better and lost but we brought the 3 points back to DG2

You can certainly see and hear Bartley was one relieved guy in his interview with Sandra.

I'd like to know his reasons for young Gibson (he's not injured) not getting on yesterday. Our best young sellable asset and this season so far he's playing second fiddle to the likes of Walker and Hutchinson.

Brydon's twisted ankle looked a sore one and he looked in a fair bit of pain. Hope it doesn't keep him out to long. After last week and the start of yesterdays game I was liking the look of the back 3 with McKay sitting in front of them. Fair play to McKay who played well and slotted into the back line but Ferguson didn't give us the same physical presence. 

Botterill, McKay, Ambrose, Todd and Reilly were those with a mention and it's no coincidence that 4 outfield players are those with most experience.

Cochrane, our captain had another poor game,  giving possession away on numerous occasions in dangerous positions.  Not captain material for me.

34 minutes ago, bod said:

I'd like to know his reasons for young Gibson (he's not injured) not getting on yesterday. Our best young sellable asset and this season so far he's playing second fiddle to the likes of Walker and Hutchinson.

No one has claimed he was injured. If he was he wouldn't be on the bench. He maybe wasn't 100% fit so why risk him if there wasn't any need to? 

2 hours ago, bod said:

Not really.  If we discount the league cup group stage which Gibson missed entirely through being injured, both he and Walker had featured in 10 games apiece either from the start or as subs prior to yesterday's game.

Hutchinson is a centre-forward and Gibson isn't, so that's a bit of an unfair comparison.  Hutchinson has been getting game time due to Reilly being injured and Doherty also recovering from injury and not being fully match fit.  

Lewis Gibson offers us something that nobody else does - he has great delivery from both flanks, he can score goals and he can beat players in the final third to create chances. To me he has been deployed in totally the wrong position from the word go and that includes when his father was Manager. He has never ever in my opinion displayed the characteristics of a wing back and yet most of his appearances have been in this position. The defensive side of the role negates what he is really good at.

He should be playing as a wide midfielder in a 4 or a wide attacker in a front 3 preferably the latter where he can concentrate on creating and scoring goals. It is rare for us to have a local talent like Lewis and we are making a great job of arsing it up.