Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

4 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I reckon it’ll be Kelly and one of Souttar/Cooper that get chopped.

That's exactly the 2/3 players that jumped out at me when I looked down the list of names.

Just now, craigkillie said:

The other thing that happened was the squads expanding to 26.

Indeed.

Similar feel to Walcott going to WC06, but (I think) that was a 23-man squad, so more room to carry an unproven, luxury option here.

5 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

Kelly will drop out if Gordon looks fit enough.

Hanley and Armstrong the others likely to need to prove fitness, but I think Armstrong and Jack will both go anyway, given the former's versatility. So a CB the most likely to be culled along with a GK. I'd be considering Forrest and Taylor to drop out too, but I don't thing Clarke will be.

Why would Hanley need to prove fitness? He's been on Norwich's bench the last 4 or 5 games. He's certainly closer to fitness than Doak or Jack. There are question marks about Hanley's level at the moment, not about his physical fitness.

2 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Well done Clarke for picking Forrest and Doak, big calls and the type of players we will need at the Euros to presumably come off the bench and make an impact if we are struggling. 

No Ryan Fraser confirms there is  something underneath the surface there, strange. 

We have seven CB's (including KT) though. So six to compete for two places essentially as KT will be gauranteed to start at LCB, is that really necessary? 

You would think out of the 26 to lose their spots, Kelly will be a cert. A Doak/Forrest would be most at risk but i'm hoping it will either Souttar or Cooper.

You're not willing to consider the possibility that he maybe just thinks Doak and Forrest are better? I mean, you may well be right but it's not the ONLY reason he might have preferred others. As I said when all the "Ryan Fraser has to be called up now" stuff started a couple of months ago, he's not even been an automatic pick for Southampton this season, he's been on the bench more often than starting. The impact he's had there was exaggerated.

That said, completely accept he's been over-looked for someone with a month of form at the end of the season who has barely been seen for the 12 months before and a teenager who's been injured for five months!

I don't think any of the centre backs will be dropping out.

A bit strange to call up Doak with zero games behind him recently but he is an exciting player and I hope he goes as he is the only guy with absolute raw pace there, imo. We have looked quite stale and slow in recent games so he could provide an injection for 20 mins 

Posted (edited)

Pretty average squad, but probably the best we can muster. Taylor, Ralston, Souttar and Jack being in says everything about our lack of depth.

Edited by Highlandmagar

I rate Ryan Jack as a player but I can't remember the last time that he's played a game, he's always needed a few games to get back up to speed after being injured. 

None of keepers really inspire any confidence. 

To the surprise of no one - apart from some of the resident PNB experts - James Forrest is on the plane. Looks a solid enough and fairly predictable squad. 

There is a standby list of six players I'm sure it just said on the radio.

I assume that is in case Armstrong, Jack, Doak all don't make it fitness wise or we pick up other injuries in friendlies. I suppose we don't want to end up taking 23 or 24 players.

I wonder if Clarke will tell us who the standbys are in his press conference

Really don't think Doak is anywhere near the level to be able to contribute, but I'm fine with him being there, it's worth taking a punt on giving him experience on the chance he ends up being a good player. As someone else said above, a pacy option to play in the front 2 is nice too.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Experienced players got cut for Gilmour and Patterson the last time. I think if he's fit he goes, he would basically be a replacement for Fraser from the last Euros squad in terms of the number of attacking players.

I think Gilmour effectively was McLean’s replacement was he not? Granted Palmer was dropped for Patterson.

There’s every chance fitness makes the decision for him but if everyone is fit I don’t know who else he drops besides Kelly. They’re always talking about how influential Cooper is in the squad. If Hanley is fit he goes, same with Jack I think. I doubt Taylor is dropped as he means we don’t need to reshuffle everything at the back if Robertson needs to come off.

That leaves Souttar but he’s still always been selected when fit.

14 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

The squad is about as good as can be expected given the number of injuries, so no problem there. The announcement video, on the other hand, is one of the cringiest pieces of shit I've ever seen. Everyone involved should be embarrassed, and preferably, shot. The Ceefax page disappeared to the next scene before you could even read the full squad, ffs.

I still want Scotland to win the euros, but I'm marginally less enthused after witnessing that cringefest.

Well. It is the SFA??

If Hickey and Ferguson were fit who'd drop out? Ralston and Jack?

I saw what Max Johnstone did for us last season as a rapid RB I'd have him in, 3 years ago Gilmour got a nod off the back of the Dutch friendly and was a standout. He showed what limited game time at your club shouldn't always be a thing. It's for that reason I have no issue with Doak too.

Feel a bit for Ryan Gauld, seems he can't cut a break when you're not on Sportscene every weekend. I'd have Ryan Fraser but as mentioned, seems there's more to it.

Out of that lot, for the two to be jettisoned I'd drop Kelly (even if we are due a kickback) and Jack. Souttar because he was beyond woeful in Amsterdam for Max Johnstone.

Outrageous.

Real Ceefax would've had us staring at the goalkeepers' names for ages before moving on to the defenders, half of which would've been corrupted by a poor signal. We'd have needed to wait for the page to come around the horn again, exacerbated by several pages of needless commentary tagged onto the end.

Just now, Jives Miguel said:

Really don't think Doak is anywhere near the level to be able to contribute, but I'm fine with him being there, it's worth taking a punt on giving him experience on the chance he ends up being a good player. As someone else said above, a pacy option to play in the front 2 is nice too.

There are potential uses for him. If somehow we manage to get ahead in a game and a team is throwing themselves at us he could be a great counter-attacking option. He has so much pace he would frighten anyone. 

Just now, Vietnam91 said:

Feel a bit for Ryan Gauld, seems he can't cut a break when you're not on Sportscene every weekend. I'd have Ryan Fraser but as mentioned, seems there's more to it.

18 of the guys in that provisional squad aren't on Sportscene every weekend, unless they've started showing FC Copenhagen, Real Sociedad, Al-Ettifaq and Bristol City on there when I wasn't looking.

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

What’s the script with if someone gets injured whilst at the tournament? Is there a cut off that a replacement can be drafted in? 

For keepers there is no limit, can be changed during the tournament, I'm not sure about the outfield players.

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

What’s the script with if someone gets injured whilst at the tournament? Is there a cut off that a replacement can be drafted in? 

You can replace an injured goalkeeper at any point, but for outfield players they can only be replaced up to the first game.