Who remembers having Subbuteo?

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Back in 78 I had the Dundee Subbuteo team in this kit....

Dens Park Choir on X: "Dundee FC's squad of 1979/80. #tbt  https://t.co/MM8F4BlQO1" / X

Probably be worth thousands now.

Thank you.

Yes, that's the one I had too.  The Wales Subbuteo team I had wore the same design.  Alas, I never owned the Coventry version.

That was the kit worn by Dundee in the first real match I ever attended as well - a 2-2 draw at Palmerston.  A bit later, Dundee also wore it at Palmerston while losing a League Cup tie 6-0.

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Yeah I remember Super Striker - magic!

I think the difference was that diving goalies were in the “super” edition which passed Alan Rough by obviously! 😂 

IMG_4469.jpeg.3d04ca59216bc947f304ba487f144cf9.jpegIMG_4468.jpeg.f29837085dea3857c88ec16072bcbedd.jpeg

I had super striker.  I think I might have a football game in the attic with a box of models I never got round to making up.  

Just now, Sugar_Army said:

I had super striker.  I think I might have a football game in the attic with a box of models I never got round to making up.  

Leave it unopened. Could be worth something to a collector. Lots of retro things are. That’s my excuse for holding onto things. 😂 

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Back in 78 I had the Dundee Subbuteo team in this kit....

Dens Park Choir on X: "Dundee FC's squad of 1979/80. #tbt  https://t.co/MM8F4BlQO1" / X

Probably be worth thousands now.

Thank you.

Taches and perms - 70s classic mix along with great strips with no glaring front of strip advertising!

I would love to go back to the ‘70s!

Thank you for posting such a great Dundee strip. 

IMG_4487.jpeg.164450ad89ed09100f9833172252dce9.jpeg

I like that thing they used to do with team photos, whereby half the squad wore the away strip, which was of course worn at home in the event of a colours clash.

On Subbuteo, the earlier teams I had, wore sort of crinkly shirts and the players stood on a bar that was glued into the base.  The later players wore smoother shirts and stood on a central disc.  

In terms of race, players in a team were all black, as with Brazil or Peru, or entirely white back then.  I think Argentina were entirely black as well, but that might not be true.  I'm guessing that became more refined later.

Did later Subbuteo teams feature shirts with advertising?  God knows how it kept up with annual kit changes and 3rd strips.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

27 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Leave it unopened. Could be worth something to a collector. Lots of retro things are. That’s my excuse for holding onto things. 😂 

Unfortunately  I has been opened and played with.  The models are in their original boxes but seen better days.  Not sue if any are Airfix. 

When I redeployed to a care home during the pandemic I brought in a couple of models with the intention of building them with hla resident as he used to do it as a child.  The auld bugger put them on top of his wardrobe and never let us build them.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

On the subject of world cup goals the Italia90 goals were fantastic. 

My da stapled our pitch to a sheet of hardboard so we could play with it on the table. It was like playing it on an ice rink 😂.

My old man made a wooden frame onto which a sheet of hardboard was fixed.  He then cut down a genuine grey WWII blackout curtain (why we still had that in 1969 remains a mystery....) as a liner below the tacked felt Subbuteo pitch.

It had just the right 'give' but the real 'pieces de resistance' were the goals which were very early wire versions which had white plastic tubes for the bar and posts.  I removed two pieces of wire on the sides leaving only the stanchions, and then pulled down the nets and stitched them onto the pitch, leaving a gap for the keepers rods.

They were like the old Hampden goals in miniature and for a 13 year-old the effect of the ball hitting the net was off the feckin' scale.  Happy days.

44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I like that thing they used to do with team photos, whereby half the squad wore the away strip, which was of course worn at home in the event of a colours clash.

On Subbuteo, the earlier teams I had, wore sort of crinkly shirts and the players stood on a bar that was glued into the base.  The later players wore smoother shirts and stood on a central disc.  

In terms of race, players in a team were all black, as with Brazil or Peru, or entirely white back then.  I think Argentina were entirely black as well, but that might not be true.  I'm guessing that became more refined later.

Did later Subbuteo teams feature shirts with advertising?  God knows how it kept up with annual kit changes and 3rd strips.

Spot on, had Dundee and Liverpool with the 'crinkly' shirts, Newcastle as well but 'smoother' shirts, the crinkly shirt versions were far superior.

We used yo have a league in P6. Home and a away.

My home pitch was a plywood nailed. It ran fast. Bit like Oldham  in the '80.

Im too old to remember the winners, not obviously

As for the Test cricket version...months playing that on my own.. 

Then then I girls. The test is history 

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As well as cricket, you could get a rugby version.  I think it featured a weird brown plastic contraption that was used for scrums.  

I never played it, but I knew someone who owned it.

Yep, i got it. Sure it was battery powered, utter shite. I week back of the closet

Remember playing against my mate as a 10year old in my garden one summer.  We used an old door for a base.  I played a pass that stopped, then blew into the goal. 

Obviously I claimed the goal. He disputed it.  No VAR back then so the only way to solve the dispute was fisticuffs (more like a wrestling match) that looking back, ended with the pitch resembling the Battle of Hampden 1980, tiny broken bodies everywhere covered in tears and bloody snotters.