Steelmen vs Staggies - 28/10/23

Feels like a big game.

We could really do with a win to get things back on track. Kettlewell’s been pretty consistent with his lineup so far this season but didn’t seem happy with the Livi performance and after 4 defeats on the spin I imagine he’ll look to shake things up a wee bit here. 

Does Butcher get chucked straight in? How long does Biereth have in him? Do we go 352 or just bring Davor in for Miller? Do we persist with Spencer at left back?

The next 5 games look fairly decent on paper but you sense it’ll be important to kick it off with a good performance/result here to help build a bit of confidence and momentum. 

Edited by Casagolda

We could really do with a win here.

4 defeats on the bounce are never good. But given the performances and who we were playing in 3 of them its not the disaster it appears on first examination.

The Livvy game/performance was awful though (probably the first real stinker under Kettlewell). That cant happen again.

Hopefully we get a reset and SK can freshen the team/squad up a little.

We need a bounce into this next set of games.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

I’m in London so will live vicariously through these pages.   2 up front please.  If this was next week at Kilmarnock would we risk the returning players, but it’s not so we will probably see them coming off the bench at least. 

I think Butcher has had a bit more time on the training pitch than Mika has, so I think there's every chance he'll start tomorrow.  Bevis having one of his brain farts in the last game (having been fairly steady this season) is probably enough to have him back on the bench.  Hopefully Mika can give us 25/30 minutes tomorrow.

Quite a big game this.  Despite losing four on the spin, there's not many panicking as we've had decent performances in most of them (I mean, which team hasn't thrown in a shocker away at Livingston over the years?) but there's quite a need to get another win on the board.

Kelly

McGinn  Butcher  Casey

Spencer Spittal Paton Slattery Gent

Wilkinson  Bair

A nervy 2-1 win for the good guys.

Honestly, this game will be a proper test for Kettlewell. As mentioned, the livi game was really the first shocking game and performance. We were completely lackluster and lost the plot in the second half.

Honestly, we just need to get better at taking chances. Oh, and actually producing something from corners/free kicks. So many times we have a set piece and it goes to the first defender or out of play. Never near a Motherwell player.

I feel like we seem to find ourselves playing County at pivotal points in our season pretty often. The 5-0 last year was just about Hammell's only credit in the bank for a while and the 1-1 in January was probably the beginning of the end for him.

Ketts is under nowhere near that sort of pressure but the league table could look either promising or very grim by tomorrow evening.

I'd probably be inclined to go two up top as well, aye. The 5-4-1 is definitely easy on the eye and has worked to a point but isn't producing goals, and Miller being out makes that change a bit easier than it would otherwise. 

On paper I'm not sure how much sense Slattery-Spittal-Paton makes as a 3 but they've all been excellent this season and probably deserve a go at it rather than chucking Davor or Butcher in.

Having endured some serious uninvited vitriol from Dundee fans on our last match day thread, this one has a warm cosy feeling to it. We love Ketts more than you will ever know, and as a result many will have a soft spot for Motherwell.

I have no idea what we will serve up, in terms of tactics, team selection or otherwise. I suspect we may try and “win ugly” which seems to be the way of it recently. By that I mean pump long balls to Jordan White. Let’s hope I’m mistaken and it’s a 5 goal thriller.