Arbroath Vs Partick Thistle

Thinking about it, you can really see why that team was so poor.

On one hand, you had a completely reshuffled defence consisting of Hamilton just back from injury, Steele's first start (IIRC) at centre back for us, and a defender who I shall not name for fear of repercussions, but who is pretty much done at championship level now.  Of course it was going to take time to gel.  But then we decided to play 3 strikers together for the first time, along with a free roaming no. 10 and the first half was a disaster, as they all effectively tried to play the same role, so there were communications issues up front and at the back.  In midfield, I thought Slater had the poorest game I've seen for us, but I don't entirely blame him, the midfield alternated between being totally overrun and totally bypassed.  That said though, some of his passing was absolutely atrocious.  Just poor everywhere.

I feel worse after that game than I did after the Dundee United game.  Struggling for positives....erm, Stowe looked okay when he came on?  Hamilton got through the game?

We have had recent success by being tight defensively with 4 midfielders in front of the back 4 and McKenna plus one striker up top. When we play a centre forward plus McKenna as second striker and 2 striker/wingers we lose control of the game. I know we now have some very good attacking options but we can’t play all of them at once.

And surprisingly it seems Scott Stewart is now much better at left back than at right back. 

Edited by TheRoundO

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

In midfield, I thought Slater had the poorest game I've seen for us, but I don't entirely blame him, the midfield alternated between being totally overrun and totally bypassed.  That said though, some of his passing was absolutely atrocious

I thought Slater was one of our better players today. He and Gold were totally overrun but whereas Goldie was pretty invisible Slater was always in the thick of it. A couple of misplaced passes, sure, but he was all on his own. 

3 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

3-1 flattered us

Accurate comment, and fair play for acknowledging.

I thought this was our best performance of the season by miles, which was especially notable given the number of bodies missing.

Pretty much the opposite of the reverse at Firhill earlier this season where Arbroath completely bossed it.

Edited by Nightmare

I posted before the game that I hoped it would stop raining. Now I wish it had pelted down and the game had been postponed.

That today, was right up there, or I should say down there, with how we started the season. We were off the pace, lacked creativity and played like a bunch of guys who had just met for the first time in a pub before kick off. Gaston fully deserved MoM.

Thistle were faster, found space all over the pitch and best of all for them, they passed the ball to a team mates.

The less said about their third goal the better. 12 goals against in the last 3 games doesn't make good reading. Wasn't surprised when Slater was subbed early, I guess the thickness he was in was too much for him.

The manager must take the blame for his team selection and tactics, got them wrong. We need a big improvement to stop sliding back towards the relegation places even this early in the season.

With ToB out we really needed a defensive set up to protect the defence. Instead we got 3 up front and a lightweight midfield which was bossed by Partick from the start. A midfield crying out for a combative player with a bit of pace and we’ve sent Balde on loan!

The early season unease over lack of cover for defence and a defensive midfielder has returned. Our reliance on Ricky and ToB is risky and now being exposed.

Our excellent run of results came from starting Kenan, but yesterday Macintosh started and really didn’t make an impact. For me the running and tackling back and physicality of Kenan gives much more impact.

No complaints at yesterday’s score. Partick got their team and tactics right. I thought Williams at right back was excellent in defence and a real threat going forward.

Got to say went into yesterday’s game with little confidence of us winning, and would certainly have taken a point beforehand. So the result and performance was especially pleasing, didn’t feel we had a bad player in the side and we really dominated Arbroath all over (reverse of our previous encounter). Aside from his goals, Fitzpatrick brought back the pace we had been missing from the last few weeks, McInroy in particular was excellent imo and credit to Williams who was solid at RB.

Not even 2 months ago we absolutely battered and dominated Thistle. 3-0 going on 5 or 6 that day in what was arguably our performance of the season so far. They had no clue how to handle us yet yesterday we do the complete opposite and make them look half decent.

Yesterday for me was a carbon copy of the Inverness game. If you don’t defend properly and you give away cheap goals no matter how good your midfield or attacking players are you will really struggle to win a football match. We seem to be a lot better on the road these days and the atmosphere is much better also which is a bit worrying for our Home Form and Season ticket holders. It’s maybe a blessing in disguise the next 5 are away from home 🇱🇻⚽🔥

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

Tremendous result and a performance I think the team really needed after the last few games, looked closer to how we played at the end of last season. 

I thought Fitzpatrick's finishing was superb as well, not short on confidence coming back. 

Arbroath looked a shadow of the team we played earlier this season.