Winners and Losers - Quizzes, Competitions

jagfox

When I was 8 yo the family holiday was Butlin's in Ayr. I won the Junior Quiz. Prize was a wooden compendium of games and a certificate.

Also won Empire magazine's competition in the mid 90s. Prize was a Kenwood Dolby Pro-Logic receiver (which I still have) and some Speed merch ( a puffer jacket with SPEED embroidered on the left tit and a universal remote control in the shape of the mobile phone used by Dennis Hopper) which I no longer have.

Various nonsense raffle prizes, the best one being a dressing gown/housecoat (delete as your preferencesl) at an ice hockey tournament that is still excellent about 15 years on.

A Prodigy t-shirt from Mary Anne Hobbs on Radio 1. Can't remember what I did to win it, but I was made up. Shame the thing wouldn't have fit a small Asian child, never mind a fast growing Scottish teenager.

The best prize I can remember wasn't even my win! My Uncle won tickets to a Carling Academy gig of his choice thanks to drinking a lot of poor quality lager. He liked Moby coz his music was all over everything on TV at the time, so he got Moby tickets and gave them to me and my sister. It was an excellent gig! That wee bastid was thoroughly entertaining and his band were outstanding!

My wee mammy won a west sound package prize (circa 1980 ?) 

My lasting memory is a 7 inch single by the dj lou grant called , I'm your morning man , which she played constantly due to pride at winning something ,it still gives me the heebjeebs

Look it up and feel free to hate me

33 minutes ago, dagane said:

My wee mammy won a west sound package prize (circa 1980 ?) 

My lasting memory is a 7 inch single by the dj lou grant called , I'm your morning man , which she played constantly due to pride at winning something ,it still gives me the heebjeebs

Look it up and feel free to hate me

Didn’t get that, but I did get this. I suppose I’d have fucked my YT algorithm either way, in fairness

IMG_3495.thumb.png.f0b5d38cbde33d2c7730cc654c0b9760.png

Thinking back, I went on a decent wee run around the early to mid 2000s for winning gig tickets, from memory won  tickets for Lightspeed Champion, King Busicuit Time, Smashing Pumpkins (twice) and T In The Park 2003.

The first Smashing Pumpkins gig was at the above mentioned Carling Academy and came with two tickets and unlimited Carling during the gig. Absolute rats piss but it was free so probably ripped the arse out of it

I was on a phone in quiz on Radio Clyde years ago, DJ was Mark Paige (think he's a peado now -well, aren't most of them).

It was the yes no game - last a minute without saying yes or no. I was about 11 years old at the time.

He started by saying "So your name is Robert"?

I said "That's correct"

He said "that's correct is it?"

I said, "That's correct, yes". 

Retired from public quizzing after that embarrassment. 6 seconds. 

In the late 90's early 2000's I was part of a 3 man team that reached the national finals of a music quiz through our local youth club. Finished mid table the 1st year, won the 2nd year and finished 2nd the 3rd year. Me and my chum Kev (who sadly passed a couple of years ago) were the only constant members of the team, the 3rd man was different every year. Had to do a local round in Aberdeen, then scottish finals, which I think were in Fife somewhere, then national final in London. Was a wee bit geeky but it got us a trip to London for 3 years in a row. Got us in the Evening the year we won and the school organised a music quiz around us where the idea was to take us on a la eggheads. The 3rd year we ended up getting smashed in the hotel bar in London, f**k knows how they served us as we were all underage and I looked about 12. Still look back on it pretty fondly. 

Winner 

Off The Ball tshirt. 

Football from the D&G Standard for correctly guessing Argentina would win Mexico '86.

Loser

Phoned in to Soccer AM for the segment where the fans of the week had to score as many goals as possible in a time limit. Think it was Swansea or Cardiff fans. They were useless. I guessed poorly.