Winners and Losers - Quizzes, Competitions

jagfox

I came second place in a Spanish holiday resort talent show contest when I was young with a decent joke.  Can't remember the act exactly, but I know it was better than my 5yo brother who won it with the following joke:

Why did the man cross the road?

He fell down the drain.

It still makes f*** all sense, and after 30 years I'm not over this miscarriage of justice.  Having the 'awww factor' to sway the judges isn't talent.

"No idle talk" (the only Hearts fanzine worth reading ..) organised a Scottish fanzine 5 a side competition. I edited an unsuccessful Juniors fanzine and got an invite. So a team consisting of me, three pals and a pal's girlfriend went along to the five a side place at Sighthill expecting to play a game, get knocked out, and enjoy a few pints.

No other cnuts turned up 

All Scotland fanzine 5 a side tournament final

No Idle Talk 22 One Man and his Dog 0.

I still cherish the runner's up trophy to this day

I won tickets to Peter Frampton at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall on a Planet Rock radio competition in 2011. Took my dad and had a great time, he put on a great show.

Also in 2011 won tickets to Tinie Tempah at the SECC on some website or another. Wasn't really my kind of music bt it was an enjoyable night.

Apparantly 2011 was a good year for me winning concert tickets, I hadn't realised they were so close together until I looked the dates up there!

Won a few bits and bobs over the years, but nothing overly substantial. Still enter competitions fairly regualrly, someone has to win.

When I was 6 i found a bottle top, that had a tiger on it.  Looked very impressive. I took it home and was told by my 2 older sisters that I had won the jackpot...

That day, I washed, hair cut (oldest sister), put on my best clothes, they even had my out the back garden waving at a helicopter flying over the house.

Then sat, and sat... all fucking day.

b*****ds 😪

When I was 14 or 15 I won a competition run by a national newspaper. The prize was £10,000. Unfortunately 32 other people also won so only ended up with £303.03

Edited by Swarley
Cannae count

16 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

I won an Asterix and Obelix book signed by the boy who draws the cartoons when I was a bairn.

f**k knows where it is now.

8 year old me would have killed you for that.

I once met the provost of Perth and Sandy Clarke as part of a Tay FM even at the sick kid's ward but not sure if that counts. A good friend of my mum's has been on about 8 different ITV gameshows and makes a complete p***k of herself with stupid answers every time

I have experienced varied levels of success from winning the star letter in the esteemed publication The Funday Times for a hilarious whimsical poem about the characters (won some batman toys that I later sold for a decent whack to some incel at a car boot sale) to winning the Scottish regions parliamentary press gallery competition for an essay about climate change (won an invite to 10 downing Street, tour of the gaff and met the PM) 

Sadly these bursts of creative output are mitigated by the time I flicked onto one of those quiz channels and didn't really get the concept that everybody is meant to get the answer. (I won f**k all other than being grounded for racking up a £30 charge to the landline)

I was on Eggheads with a team from my uni as one of the women in our department was big into TV quizzes. Took them to two tiebreakers in the final before they whacked out the "in which English county is this country house" question to a team of Scots. 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

I have a signed and framed Man United shirt which I won in a raffle at my daughter's primary school. It was donated by Fergie's brother Martin and it was from 2013 when they last won the league

That'll be worth an absolute fortune in another 20 years when they still haven't won it.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

That'll be worth an absolute fortune in another 20 years when they still haven't won it.

I was thinking that about now is the right time to sell it.

Twenty years from now, nobody will care. Just like Liverpool league winners one wouldn't have fetched much ten years ago.

2 hours ago, philpy said:

I won a £20 Virgin megastore

Loved that place.