Winners and Losers - Quizzes, Competitions

jagfox

Last night I was listening to Talksport's Martin Kelner in the wee small hours. They do a phone-in, How Old Cary Grant. You try and guess/ remember the ages of famous folk and the lowest aggregate score wins, after three rounds. 

I managed to win against some weird scouse guy and a currant buns fan from Glasgow. (Always good to beat them.)

I have won a book but don't even know what it is.

I've won the Clyde Super Scoreboard quiz - won a football.

Anyway, what quizzes have fellow P&Bers been on and how did you get on?

Any TV appearances? Totally inappropriate prizes?

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Nah mate, up at the Grampian TV studios in Aberdeen.

Bastirt. There's a VHS kicking about the family heirlooms with my brother on the one in Dundee. Thought I'd got you captured in your Max's n' AdiPoppers jumping about the fountains. :lol:

1 minute ago, Derry Alli said:

Bastirt. There's a VHS kicking about the family heirlooms with my brother on the one in Dundee. Thought I'd got you captured in your Max's n' AdiPoppers jumping about the fountains. :lol:

I haven't seen mine in about 20+ years, I was also in the advert for it. TBF I probably had on my Max's but I was more of a connoisseur of the Adidas bottoms that the stripes stopped halfway down the calf with Adidas written across the back of the calf.

It was Hazlehead Academy v Thurso Academy, fights broke out in the crowd, I got 3 points for sticking my head in a bowl of custard and biting into an apple.

Pepsi challenge, "Highland" fair, ingliston market. Won a paper cap. 

Would have won an inter school team quiz one time but was cheated by incompetence and still bitter about it. Q- what is an avocado? My answer - it's a fruit

Quiz dick- "what kind of fruit" 

Me-"er what? I don't know... South American?" 

Quiz dick-"no, it's a pear" 

Me - "WHAT! No it isn't, i don't know what it is but it's not a pear!" 

Quiz dick-"yes it is it's an Avocado pear" 

Me- "ffs" 

Off my own back I've won the 50/50 at Fir Park twice in about 20 years. Once £250 and the other a bumper £350.

My recently passed auntie's hobby was entering competitions in every paper and magazine she could get her hands on. To increase her chances of winning when repeatedly entering comps in local papers she would use the names and addresses of various family members. Used to regularly get letters/notifications that I'd won cinema tickets, restaurant and shop vouchers for competitions I had no knowledge of. Picks of the bunch included free tickets to Fir Park, Hamilton Races, the darts, a slab of Tennent's and a hospitality day for two at Scotland v Faroes.

4 hours ago, philpy said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Was on Countdown on transfer deadline day in 2010. The day that Rachel Riley announced her engagement and Jeff Stelling was updating us on transfers before they'd hit the news; Andy Carroll to Liverpool being one.

Won two games and got a 9 letter word on the very first round of my first game - MODERATED.

Quite strange as I moderated P&B at the time.

Came back up the road with a decent goody bag, and best of all, a Countdown teapot.