Karens, are they to be pitied, scolded, ridiculed , or ignored?

Wacky

People who get all upset about spelling and pronunciation of their names are almost always utter morons. I say this as a Euan with nearly 40 years experience of being Ewen and Ewan. Checking into hostels when backpacking saw some very creative spellings of it. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I work with a guy who has an extremely common name, almost ridiculously so but he insists that it's pronounced in a slightly different way and literally any time anyone says his name he'll pull them up on it.

Hyacinth (1).jpg

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

People who get all upset about spelling and pronunciation of their names are almost always utter morons. I say this as a Euan with nearly 40 years experience of being Ewen and Ewan. Checking into hostels when backpacking saw some very creative spellings of it. 

My last name gets mispronounced a lot. I think it’s one of those ones that’s common enough in Scotland, but rare in the rest of the U.K. as it’s usually English call centres etc that can’t get it.

My first name gets spelt wrongly a lot too, but like you it’s one of those with 3 or 4 accepted spellings so just need to take it. 

17 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

My last name gets mispronounced a lot. I think it’s one of those ones that’s common enough in Scotland, but rare in the rest of the U.K. as it’s usually English call centres etc that can’t get it.

My first name gets spelt wrongly a lot too, but like you it’s one of those with 3 or 4 accepted spellings so just need to take it. 

^^^ Alasdair Menzies found 

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They wouldn't parts in a local amateur Christmas panto with acting like that.

No shot that's fake just the little cuts that version has madr piece it together in a way that feels a bit odd but the original is a classic. 

2 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Nobody ever spells my surname correctly - ever. You'd think they'd get it right by accident occasionally, but no. I've even seen people copying it from another document and presumably deciding, "nah, this c**t clearly doesn't know how to spell his own name".

It stops being annoying sometime during childhood, probably as a defence mechanism against spending your entire life seething. I'm not sure how people can keep caring that much - even if everyone pronounced your name Raymond Luxury-Yacht instead of Throatwobbler Mangrove you'd surely start going along with it by the time your balls dropped.

6 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Someone kept parking over my garage, I have an automatic door (You can't hide money) so when I open the door to leave, it unveils the side of a Kia like a prize on a game show, the prize being, my day is fucked. I have a sign on the door asking folk not to park there but folk are lazy b*****ds. 
I live near a school so it's normally folk dumping their car for 5 minutes, its a pain in the tits and I have to plan not to go out around drop-off time. 

The Kia started parking there for hours on end so I stuck a note on the window asking them not to park there as they were blocking access. I went out later on and the car was gone but the note was in a ball next to my garage door. I picked it up and chucked it on my passenger seat. 

Two days later, the car was back, I uncrumpled the note and added "And I think you dropped this" at the bottom. Went out later and the car was gone, there was no note left. 

A couple of days later, I was loading my car up for a tip run and I heard this woman say, are you the man who keeps putting notes on my car? She looked fucking raging. 
I said, are you one of the people who are parking on a private lane blocking 24 hour access? 
She claimed that I had damaged her car and she would be contacting the police. I lied and said I took a picture of her car when I did it, there was no damage, but she'd have some job proving that I did. 
She then said she was disabled and had to park there. She didn't have a blue badge (she was however at least 10 stone overweight though) and she would continue to park where she liked. I said I didn't believe her, she parks there to walk her dog, she could walk a bit further and park her car somewhere else.
She then attempted a bizarre Hail Mary to win the argument, announcing that she was in fact dying and I was a heartless shit. I told her she was right, I couldn't care less, as long as he didn't do it over my garage door. 
I shut my garage door to the sound of her repeatedly shouting that I was a heartless shit over and over again then saying she was phoning the police. 

The police never arrived and she hasn't parked there again. although she may have actually died. 

You're verging on being a Karen! 

20 hours ago, Wacky said:

I agree now, but at the time I had to be very guarded dealing with her. She could have went to the polis and spun any auld pish leaving me to try and defend myself against it. 
Funny now? Yes 

Funny at the time? Definitely not 

I don't even find it funny now - just embarrassing is so many ways and for so many reasons.  Shocker of a woman and I hope the term Karen was named for her.

16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I don't even find it funny now - just embarrassing is so many ways and for so many reasons.  Shocker of a woman and I hope the term Karen was named for her.

Every cloud has a silver lining, mate. This woman won’t engage with me in any way shape or form now, and I consider that a plus. 
Being honest, I’d likely be the first person to help her out if she needed assistance in any way, and I wouldn’t let anyone get aggressive with her if I could help it. 
I still find that doorstep scenario amusing though, but everyone has their own level of humour. 

The USA definitely has a large number of people* who believe that if someone is of lower status than them (service industry, low paid, or otherwise powerless), then they're perfectly entitled to treat them like garbage. "If they don't like it, they should get a better job." is a common refrain. The idea of them simply not being arseholes doesn't fit into their worldview.

Curiously, during Covid when a lot of service workers were unable to work, many of them took college courses, or vocational training and 'did' get themselves better jobs. Now service industries are struggling to find people willing to accept their shitty positions, shitty pay and shitty conditions and the people* described above are yelling that "Nobody wants to work anymore!" 

* When I say "people" here, I do of course mean "Republicans".