Karens, are they to be pitied, scolded, ridiculed , or ignored?

Wacky

I went back a few pages, but couldn’t see anything on the subject of Karens. I’ve no doubt someone will tell me if one exists. 

Anyhoo, who are these bizarre creatures? What makes a person think they have the right to intrude upon your privacy and freedom?
About a fortnight ago I had a woman from across the road knock on my door and pretty much demand access to my house to look at what my new cctv camera is pointing at. Now, some may think that is a reasonable request, but my camera is pointing to the left at my garage door where I keep my motorbikes, she is almost directly across the road from me but off to the right a little. There’s no way anyone with an ounce of common sense would believe the camera was pointing at their house. It’s on the corner of my house and it’s full purpose in life is to record anyone going near my garage door. 

I told her that she’s not coming into my house to look at anything, but she became very insistent claiming that she has a right to make sure I’m not spying on her. I told her if she wants she can phone the polis to come and look provided they get a warrant for entry. She started shouting loudly that I was spying on her etc, so I simply bid her farewell and closed the door.
I’d say she is in her late 40’s and on the surface seems a nice person, we have passed pleasantries in the past but never really had any conversation. She lives alone, and is always hanging around her window whenever anyone is in their garden etc. if we ever make eye contact I always acknowledge her, as does my wife, but we only get dirty looks in return since camera-gate.  

My neighbours warned me about her when I moved here, and I said I’d have “a word” with her husband if she started her crap with me, but he apparently left years ago. My neighbours told me she came to their house and demanded them to close their venetian blinds the opposite way around as she can see into their living room from her upstairs window. My neighbours told her to simply not look in their window if it bothers her, and that they don’t care if she does. 

That was apparently one of many times she’s found reason to tell folks in the street that she wanted them to comply with her wishes. 
I wonder if it’s a mental health issue, or simply a sense of entitlement? Either way I’m keeping clear of her because she strikes me as someone who can create problems for people that are pinged on her radar 

Has anyone here ever experienced a so call Karen? 

3 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I went back a few pages, but couldn’t see anything on the subject of Karens. I’ve no doubt someone will tell me if one exists. 

Anyhoo, who are these bizarre creatures? What makes a person think they have the right to intrude upon your privacy and freedom?
About a fortnight ago I had a woman from across the road knock on my door and pretty much demand access to my house to look at what my new cctv camera is pointing at. Now, some may think that is a reasonable request, but my camera is pointing to the left at my garage door where I keep my motorbikes, she is almost directly across the road from me but off to the right a little. There’s no way anyone with an ounce of common sense would believe the camera was pointing at their house. It’s on the corner of my house and it’s full purpose in life is to record anyone going near my garage door. 

I told her that she’s not coming into my house to look at anything, but she became very insistent claiming that she has a right to make sure I’m not spying on her. I told her if she wants she can phone the polis to come and look provided they get a warrant for entry. She started shouting loudly that I was spying on her etc, so I simply bid her farewell and closed the door.
I’d say she is in her late 40’s and on the surface seems a nice person, we have passed pleasantries in the past but never really had any conversation. She lives alone, and is always hanging around her window whenever anyone is in their garden etc. if we ever make eye contact I always acknowledge her, as does my wife, but we only get dirty looks in return since camera-gate.  

My neighbours warned me about her when I moved here, and I said I’d have “a word” with her husband if she started her crap with me, but he apparently left years ago. My neighbours told me she came to their house and demanded them to close their venetian blinds the opposite way around as she can see into their living room from her upstairs window. My neighbours told her to simply not look in their window if it bothers her, and that they don’t care if she does. 

That was apparently one of many times she’s found reason to tell folks in the street that she wanted them to comply with her wishes. 
I wonder if it’s a mental health issue, or simply a sense of entitlement? Either way I’m keeping clear of her because she strikes me as someone who can create problems for people that are pinged on her radar 

Has anyone here ever experienced a so call Karen? 

That is nuts made. You did the right thing though.

I'm lucky I have not had the misfortune to meet anyone like her.

3 minutes ago, Steelly said:

That is nuts made. You did the right thing though.

I'm lucky I have not had the misfortune to meet anyone like her.

I’ve seen people like this on YouTube, and they all seem like entitled bananas to me. I don’t engage people who make irrational demands on me. 

3 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Not sure if that's really a Karen.

More like some wummin with mental health issues.

Could be issues, but then all so called Karen’s could be described as having issues 

Just now, Wacky said:

I’ve seen people like this on YouTube, and they all seem like entitled bananas to me. I don’t engage people who make irrational demands on me. 

Could be issues, but then all so called Karen’s could be described as having issues 

I thought Karen's are more like auld spinster  teachers or wummin cops with a overbearing sense of entitlement.

Bit more than your average curtain twitcher.

Just now, PossilYM said:

I thought Karen's are more like auld spinster  teachers or wummin cops with a overbearing sense of entitlement.

Bit more than your average curtain twitcher.

Possibly, but on YouTube you’ll see Karen’s go out their way to engage with people they consider should be conducting themselves in a manner they see fit. 
Either way I simply don’t do anything other than bid or wave acknowledgment to her since that day, and I’m happy that she totally ignores me now. 

18 minutes ago, Wacky said:

If not that then what is considered a Karen? 

She is definitely a Karen - maybe just a more extreme example. A classic karen is a nasaly whiny 45 year old yank who drives an SUV and demands to speak to the manager at a McDonald’s because her child bit their tongue while eating a happy meal.

11 minutes ago, throbber said:

She is definitely a Karen - maybe just a more extreme example. A classic karen is a nasaly whiny 45 year old yank who drives an SUV and demands to speak to the manager at a McDonald’s because her child bit their tongue while eating a happy meal.

That’s what I see on YouTube. Airports, eateries, supermarkets, and carparks, play parks, are all hunting grounds for these bizarre people, and are now to be found on yer doorstep in deepest darkest Fife.