Miscellaneous football nostalgia pictures

Flybhoy

Taken from the book i am Reading, looking like a cartoon villian as he turns to see if the referee has given the goal, Manuel Neuer collects the ball after it striking the crossbar from Lampards shot.IMG_3997.thumb.jpeg.5890dfe0e6f9ac583c6b8027bc89370c.jpegIMG_3998.thumb.jpeg.d41ed6e3e5b8b5010d06a3aa52fe1244.jpeg

Edited by buchan30

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

Taken from the book i am Reading, looking like a cartoon villian as he turns to see if the referee has given the goal, Manuel Neuer collects the ball after it striking the crossbar from Lampards shot.IMG_3997.thumb.jpeg.5890dfe0e6f9ac583c6b8027bc89370c.jpegIMG_3998.thumb.jpeg.d41ed6e3e5b8b5010d06a3aa52fe1244.jpeg

I was driving back from a weekend in Liverpool that day, game was played around lunchtime on the Sunday I seem to recall, had the radio on in the car and the absolute fucking meltdowns and collective heads gone from the BBC Five Live team was truly something to behold.

I was at primrose valley with the mrs and kids during the group stages and drove back up a couple of days before this. We stopped in a service station on the way up and there was a Sun front page headline that Said something along the lines of “let’s stick it to the germans/kaiser” between that and the lampard goal, it just made it absolutely glorious. 

Italia 90, and Ireland's penalty shoot out heroes from their round of 16 victory over Romania, David O'Leary and Packie Bonner train in the Olympic Stadium in Rome ahead of their quarter final against Italy which they would lose 1-0 to a goal by Toto Schillaci, Bonner being badly at fault for the goal in said match.

High profile errors in big games from Bonner was something us Celtic fans were used to in that era 🙄

Posters around my age and older may recall David O'Leary's younger brother , Pierce being a Celtic team mate of Bonner in the mid 1980's for a couple of years. 

20240204_122900.jpg

On 15/01/2024 at 18:05, Flybhoy said:

Diego Maradona threads through an inch perfect pass for Claudio Cannigia to score the only goal of the round of 16 tie in Turin at Italia 90, my recollections of this match are how Brazil absolutely battered Argentina but couldn't finish any of their numerous chances and were undone by a sublime piece of skill by Maradona and a cool finish from CC, stories and rumours abounded in later years of the Argentinian physio giving 'spiked' water to Brazilian players when treating an injured player, something Diego hinted at in an interview a few years ago, probably bullshit but we'll never know. 

FB_IMG_1704925716106.jpg

Can you imagine as a Dundee fan at the time, saying to your mate during the game..

"That laddie with the hair band is a bit of a player, Dundee should put a bid in for him".

On 30/01/2024 at 20:51, Flybhoy said:

Marco Van Basten and Ruud Gullit being interviewed after scoring the goals in The Netherlands 2-0 win over the USSR in the final of Euro 88, poignantly and ironically played in the same stadium, the Olympistsdion in Munich where the Dutch had lost the 1974 World Cup final to hosts West Germany. 

Beyond mental that this is the only major international honour for a country synonymous with producing incredible players and coaches.

FB_IMG_1706647324154.jpg

The only main trophy we've ever won in senior men's football was in probably the ugliest kits we've ever had. Maybe we should get another ugly kit in...

5 hours ago, Marten said:

The only main trophy we've ever won in senior men's football was in probably the ugliest kits we've ever had. Maybe we should get another ugly kit in...

That is a absolute cracking top imo.

13 hours ago, superwell87 said:

That is a absolute cracking top imo.

Not many Dutch fans will agree with you. Obviously, it still has a special place as we won our only major trophy in it, but Dutch football fans pretty much universally agree that the kit was very ugly.

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I always prefer the Netherlands kits when they have black shorts, but they've obviously worn white a lot too (and now oranje, since UEFA/FIFA decided that one colour kits were the way to go). 

Yeah, it should be orange shirts and black shorts. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

1990 World Cup finalists being led out by their respective legendary captains. 

FB_IMG_1710779549687.jpg

The 1986 final between the same sides was a fcuking classic game. 
This 1990 final was fcuking boring despite the madness of the Argentina team. 

Posted (edited)

Stefano Schwarz and Gheorgi Hagi wearing two superb change kits in the 1994 World Cup quarter finals in the Yooessay.....

Bizarrely I remember watching this in the 'Caley Bar' in Tenerife and having a bet of a packet of cigarettes when it went to penalties, with Jock the DJ, I took Romania and he wisely took Sweden...

FB_IMG_1710946870179.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

England were deliberately placed on the island of Sardinia during Italia 90 as the authorities didn't want them and the challenges of policing their fans on the Italian mainland and potential clashes, here they are with a friendly looking police presence prior to kick off against The Netherlands. 

I've always felt the trouble that tends to follow the English national team's physce comes from the arrogance and rhetoric espoused by historians, politicians and even journalists that Britain, or more specifically England is the subliminal master race, the British empire, the Commonwealth, we civilised many countries and races and gave them our language and all that fucking bullshit, thick dull brain racists buy into all that shite and you get scores of meat heads following the national team who feel it is their duty to stand, bare chested in town squares drinking pints, singing Rule Brittania and shouting abuse and throwing the odd punch or plastic chair at anyone who looks at them the wrong way. 

FB_IMG_1713780682979.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

England were deliberately placed on the island of Sardinia during Italia 90 as the authorities didn't want them and the challenges of policing their fans on the Italian mainland and potential clashes, here they are with a friendly looking police presence prior to kick off against The Netherlands. 

I've always felt the trouble that tends to follow the English national team's physce comes from the arrogance and rhetoric espoused by historians, politicians and even journalists that Britain, or more specifically England is the subliminal master race, the British empire, the Commonwealth, we civilised many countries and races and gave them our language and all that fucking bullshit, thick dull brain racists buy into all that shite and you get scores of meat heads following the national team who feel it is their duty to stand, bare chested in town squares drinking pints, singing Rule Brittania and shouting abuse and throwing the odd punch or plastic chair at anyone who looks at them the wrong way. 

FB_IMG_1713780682979.jpg

What's interesting is to compare that image from nearly 35 years ago to this recent image: 

engerlund.jpg.1fe75514fcb9e78935976a7c2d47b497.jpg

Our Southern pals have reclaimed the St George's Cross as their own and it's the Union Flag that now seems to be the choice for racists and tossers

Spoiler

twats.jpg.23e9f615bafcf32fe100b496a9ebf889.jpg

Fleg spotted at an Engerlund game... 

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

What's interesting is to compare that image from nearly 35 years ago to this recent image: 

engerlund.jpg.1fe75514fcb9e78935976a7c2d47b497.jpg

Our Southern pals have reclaimed the St George's Cross as their own and it's the Union Flag that now seems to be the choice for racists and tossers

Hide contents

twats.jpg.23e9f615bafcf32fe100b496a9ebf889.jpg

Fleg spotted at an Engerlund game... 

If I were a cynic, I'd say that it's just that public opinions have gradually shifted more towards those espoused by the National Front, so being assumed to be a fascist isn't as big a deal as it once was. And I am a cynic, so I will  :P

Quite right that they should be flying their own fleg at England games, though. Showing up at an England game with '(the) Rangers)' on a Union Fleg in the hope of being called a good boy is tragic behaviour.

On 18/03/2024 at 20:20, Molotov said:

The 1986 final between the same sides was a fcuking classic game. 
This 1990 final was fcuking boring despite the madness of the Argentina team. 

Argentina were well aware that they were pish and decided to try shitfesting for penalties in every match after squeaking out of the group. They almost managed it.

I believe FIFA brought in some new guidance regarding abuse of the referee after World Cup 90, as Argentina formed a huddle around the ref to timewaste virtually every time play stopped. Couldn't have been happier when Ze Germans finally put them to bed.