Georgia vs Scotland 16th Nov '23

Gordopolis

Honestly don't know what to make of that tonight. Patterson wasn't used to his strengths, don't think Taylor is good enough to be on the pitch.

Midfield improved second half, Gilmour had an awful evening, well below his tidy standards.

First bit of criticism I'll level at Clark he got it wrong tonight I think.

2 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Honestly don't know what to make of that tonight. Patterson wasn't used to his strengths, don't think Taylor is good enough to be on the pitch.

Midfield improved second half, Gilmour had an awful evening, well below his tidy standards.

First bit of criticism I'll level at Clark he got it wrong tonight I think.

Why four at the back ?

Not a particularly good performance, the result is okay - I can live with an indifferent result if the performance is good, but we just looked a bit muddled and disconnected. Shanklands goal came from a ball into the back stick, but I don't think that strategy - one we tried throughout - was too effective. Overall, a little disappointed - but the team isn't always going to play brilliantly and fair play to them for not giving up and getting some kind of result.

Clark - think some of the criticism is a bit OTT. We know he isnt good enough for this level, but it doesnt change the fact he is prob the best available right now. 6/10

Patterson - better as a RWB than RB. Can see theres a player there, but his lack of development over the past couple years is worrying. Was okay, but wasteful. 6/10

Porteous - one wild pass aside, one of our better players on the night. 7/10

McKenna - went walkabout for their first goal and is such a clear drop off in quality on the ball compared to Hendry and Tierney. Place at the Euros in doubt. 5/10

Taylor - shite. Tonight he went from 4th choice LB to 5th for me. Wouldnt be suprised to see him phased out the squad for Doig. 4/10

McGregor - annonymous if not for his insistence on passing the ball backwards when he has an opportunity to move it forward. 5/10

Gilmour - off it tonight, especially when trying to force ir forward. Correct decision to take him off. 4/10

McGinn - tried hard but left Patterson exposed when he drifted inside. Nothing really came off for him. 5/10

McTominay - looked most threatening for large spells. Good finish for the goal. 6/10

Christie - losts of running without anything really coming off. Does so much good work ruined by a poor final ball. 5/10

Dykes - looked off it from the start. Bit like the Norway game, was never really in the game and wasnt enough of a pest we know he can be. 5/10

SSC - picked the team I largely thought he would so cant argue with it. Didnt fanny about with making subs and trying to change things. 6/10

Overall the result is just about fine,  but performance should have been better. Sunday becomes a big game. Need to win to avoid us going potentially six months without victory.

A dead rubber qualifying game at a challenging away venue with a number of key injuries is a difficult set of circumstances to come away with anything whilst playing poorly at the same time, so that's encouraging at least. 

I'm not convinced we have enough natural width or grit in midfield to look comfortable starting with a back 4 with this currwnt 23. I'd like to see us revert to usual against Norway and allow McGinn/McTominay more of a free role. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Heard from a mate there their fans were raining stuff down on the Scotland fans. Ridiculous this stuff is still allowed to happen. 

You could see it on the TV at one point, an older guy caught something and they were looking up above them

Edited by Snobot
Spelling