Georgia vs Scotland 16th Nov '23

Gordopolis

Thought I'd start a match thread for this.

Looking fwd to this tie in the sense that there is no existential terror involved, and - mainly because of injury - we need to try out a few different players.  At the same time it's important not to veer too far from our core as we really do need to get back to winning ways for morale's sake.

So I'm thinking:

Liam Kelly

Patterson  Porteous McKenna Taylor

Gilmour McGregor

McTominay McGinn Ferguson

Brown

Really tempting to start with Dykes as I'd like him to get back on the scoresheet for us, but Brown looked dangerous in flashes when he came on vs France, and he really needs a start to show what he can offer. From what I've seen of him he looks more towards the Adams end of the Adams-Dykes spectrum (technical & pacy vs physical out ball).

Predicting a 2-1 win for us (Brown, Hendry)

Edited by Gordopolis

Really no idea what to expect from these games. For the first time in years, we have no idea who'll start in goal; we're without our three best left-backs, two of whom are key to our system; on the (very) positive side, we've already qualified, so that also makes the lineup a bit unpredictable. 

Our shape against Georgia at Hampden was excellent, but it'll be hard to replicate that without Robertson and Tierney. I suppose we could flip the system and have Porteous bombing forward to support Patterson with Taylor on the left playing the role Hickey played on the right, but McTominay isn't as good a link man down the flanks as McGregor is. Hickey also didn't give Kvaratskhelia an inch last time out which, let's face it, just isn't gonna happen with Patterson in his place. 

I could see the benefits of going with a back four. 

Mentioned in another thread that I fancy us to win by a cupla goals.

Especially if there's a spot or two of rain, as the Georgian heids would surely go down. 

Goalkeeper, I've no idea. Hopefully we're able to dominate the ball and protect whomever it is, as neither seem impressive. Hopefully they rise to it and surprise us if called upon. 

Hickey, Robertson and Tierney of course are absolutely huge for how effective we are but even without them, I'm not sure Clarke will be making any dramatic changes to shape or tactical approach.

Christie off Dykes has worked well before, so might see that again. 

I reckon we might start with a back four here, similar to how we played in the Nations League games against a broadly similar level of opposition when we didn't have Tierney available. It would let us add an extra midfielder to the mix, for example maybe a first competitive start for Ferguson, and would hopefully help us control the ball a bit more. I'd expect Dykes to start both games, with Brown to come off the bench, though obviously it depends how they do in training etc.

Clarke 

Patterson   Hendry  McKenna   Taylor  

McGregor  Gilmour 

McGinn       McTominay     Ferguson 

Dykes 

Something like this for me - only issue there is that it is unbelievably harsh on Porteous and I imagine Christie would start over Ferguson. Obviously, if we revert to four at the back. 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Porteous and Hendry can easily play together in a four, I think either of them would be comfortable enough on the left.

Yeah, they did away to Ukraine - I personally just like left and right sided CB’s to play but it doesn’t really overly matter. 

37 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Mentioned in another thread that I fancy us to win by a cupla goals.

Especially if there's a spot or two of rain, as the Georgian heids would surely go down. 

Goalkeeper, I've no idea. Hopefully we're able to dominate the ball and protect whomever it is, as neither seem impressive. Hopefully they rise to it and surprise us if called upon. 

Hickey, Robertson and Tierney of course are absolutely huge for how effective we are but even without them, I'm not sure Clarke will be making any dramatic changes to shape or tactical approach.

Christie off Dykes has worked well before, so might see that again. 

Scotland v Georgia 20th June 2023 thread for such predictions......

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Buzzing for this. Getting there at 2500 tomorrow. Don't care what team is put out, a win would be lovely.

A few posts on FB about taxi drivers roaming the airport arrivals, saying they're with Bolt and then demanding between 200-400 GEL upon arrival at your digs. (£1=3.3 GEL)

Others saying they have booked a Bolt through the app (free WiFi at the airport) and it was 24 GEL.

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

A few posts on FB about taxi drivers roaming the airport arrivals, saying they're with Bolt and then demanding between 200-400 GEL upon arrival at your digs. (£1=3.3 GEL)

Others saying they have booked a Bolt through the app (free WiFi at the airport) and it was 24 GEL.

My hotel sent a car to the airport to pick me up for free back in 2015.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Thought I'd start a match thread for this.

Looking fwd to this tie in the sense that there is no existential terror involved, and - mainly because of injury - we need to try out a few different players.  At the same time it's important not to veer too far from our core as we really do need to get back to winning ways for morale's sake.

So I'm thinking:

Liam Kelly

Patterson  Porteous Hendry McKenna Taylor

Gilmour McGregor

McTominay McGinn Ferguson

Brown

Really tempting to start with Dykes as I'd like him to get back on the scoresheet for us, but Brown looked dangerous in flashes when he came on vs France, and he really needs a start to show what he can offer. From what I've seen of him he looks more towards the Adams end of the Adams-Dykes spectrum (technical & pacy vs physical out ball).

Predicting a 2-1 win for us (Brown, Hendry)

You'd fancy us strongly if we're going with a 5-5-1 and starting with 12 men...

From what you've got above, I think (minus Ferguson) that's the starting XI.

1 minute ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Don't know what Clarke is thinking. There may be players he prefers to rest so that players that need games can play. McGinn and McGregor are two that will have played quite a few games already this season. Brown and Ferguson need games.

Doubt he's thinking that.

Just now, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Maybe not, he has a duty to the travelling fans. He might feel he has to pick the best team.

After consecutive games against some of the best teams, and the resulting narrative that we've lost our momentum, I think he'll be going into this the same as if qualification was on the line. Even in friendlies he tends to start with the best available team IIRC.