Georgia vs Scotland 16th Nov '23

Gordopolis

5 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

If Clark had let in the goals that Georgia's keeper (who plays for Valencia) let in, people in here would be asking for his citizenship to be revoked

That's true.

Their 'keeper looked more culpable for both our goals than Clark did for either of theirs.

3 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

If Clark had let in the goals that Georgia's keeper (who plays for Valencia) let in, people in here would be asking for his citizenship to be revoked

That's a good point actually. I thought our second was right at him and initially thought our first was deflected but in fact it wasn't. He's the No1 at Valencia too.

Clarke was fine. A lot of players were below par and the ref was utter shite.

Some quotes on the specifics on what was happening in the Georgia game from the player point of view and the manager that maybe caused us to struggle. Rushing our play came up a lot. I'm not sure exactly what the tweaks were at half-time other than the substitutions, I have it down that we might have moved from 433 to 4231 with McTominay dropping deeper alongside McGregor until Armstrong and Ralston came on around 80' when we went back to 433, but I'd have to double check that. 

I just felt that maybe we didn't keep our shape well enough, we didn't show enough patience. It was almost as if we wanted to win the game before it was there to be won - so sometimes you have to wait for your chances to come. I felt we were maybe a little bit impetuous - trying to get forward too early, too quickly and like I say second-half was better, a little bit more composure from us - we controlled the game better. 

Steve Clarke

https://twitter.com/BBCSportScot/status/1725283856234824172

I think we can just maybe move it a wee bit quicker and try and pull their shape about a bit more. I think they wee a wee bit comfortable when we had the ball which we don't want teams to be. 

Kenny McLean

https://x.com/BBCSportScot/status/1725483929178964348?s=20

I think the gaffer obviously identified his problems at half-time, made a couple of changes - but he said at the end there that we were probably causing our own problems at times and just a few wee tweaks and things improved in the second-half.

Lawrence Shankland

https://x.com/ViaplaySportsUK/status/1725231497060200866?s=20

It's keeping your head and picking the right passes and being a little more patient around their box and trying to move them around - but as I say we'll go and analyse it and hopefully on Sunday we'll be much better.      

Scott McTominay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6-CLpytvOk

Just recovered after getting 2 and a half hours sleep between full time and last night, those early hours flights out of Tbilisi are murder. Great city to visit, people are lovely with the exception of their version of wee neds who tried to attack the away end at full time and got a doing by the local police, I got pelted an absolute belter with a bottle. :lol:

Not much to add on the game but surprised there was any criticism on McLean from my quick skim of the thread but see plenty defending him, he looked composed and done well in both his roles from what I could see, especially when combining with Armstrong after Taylor went off.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

I thought it was interesting to look at the attendances from the other teams in our group when Scotland played them compared to other opposition. Significantly larger crowds were drawn particularly when Scotland played away to Georgia (44,595) and Spain (45,623) compared to Norway, 29,214 and 20,300 respectively.

I think that context makes sense of the decision to play the friendly game away against Turkey and maybe puts our results and performances there in a slightly better light.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I thought it was interesting to look at the attendances from the other teams in our group when Scotland played them compared to other opposition. Significantly larger crowds were drawn particularly when Scotland played away to Georgia (44,595) and Spain (45,623) compared to Norway, 29,214 and 20,300 respectively.

I think that context makes sense of the decision to play the friendly game away against Turkey and maybe puts our results and performances there in a slightly better light.

We were denied 2 stonewall penalties in Turkey.

In a nearly  similar vein I have mentioned before about an article in " The Scotsman " just after we beat the Faroe Islands 6 - 0 ( ? ) at Hampden and how the attendance compared favourably with those of the majority of the so called European " footballing superpowers "

On 18/11/2023 at 12:06, Pie Of The Month said:

Just recovered after getting 2 and a half hours sleep between full time and last night, those early hours flights out of Tbilisi are murder. Great city to visit, people are lovely with the exception of their version of wee neds who tried to attack the away end at full time and got a doing by the local police, I got pelted an absolute belter with a bottle. :lol:

Not much to add on the game but surprised there was any criticism on McLean from my quick skim of the thread but see plenty defending him, he looked composed and done well in both his roles from what I could see, especially when combining with Armstrong after Taylor went off.

Aye it was some trip brilliant city although not touching Cha Cha again 😄

Haven't recovered yet as just home today after Scotland home game with 13 days drinking including Aberdeen trip to Greece. 

A lot of stuff was getting thrown from above with the first Scotland goal, some woman was trying to complain. The 2nd Scotland was mental the amount of stuff chucked - was a bit drenched!!

First away day following Scotland and it won't be my last.

Edited by betting competition