Georgia vs Scotland 16th Nov '23

Gordopolis

10 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Think some if the criticism of Clark is a bit harsh. I think everyone knows he's not as good as Gordon or Gunn but getting the blame for the goals is a bit odd. 

First one, it's hit hard and low from about 5 yards. 

Second is fired through a ruck of bodies, it's not like it's gone under him.

A top goalie might save one or both, but it doesn't automatically make them mistakes either. Defence is far more culpable at both than Clark.

First goal was a defensive nightmare, from letting the lad run across half the park, Taylor not covering his runner, same with Porteous, and Clark letting the ball go through him at the near post. Second goal, again, ball has travelled a long way, but in full line of vision for Clark and it's went straight through him. 

He's a decent enough goalie in an emergency, or a game like this when not too much is on the line, and he merits his place in the squad, though I would be worried if he was our #1.

Overall, I think the performance not being great, the last 20minuites was a complete credit to the team and to Stevie C. Not to let heads dropped or get sucked into the shambles that was Georgia's play-acting. To get that late equalizer. Fantastic.

In the past, we come away from there with 0pts, instead, we're out of there still maintaining our unbeaten streak in the competition.

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think Patterson would do better if he were playing more at Everton. He’s not a bad player but I think he’s one that needs a game or two to get back to his best if he has been out.

Just way behind Hickey in what he offers, but thankfully still better than Ralston who should be nowhere near the squad and like Taylor is only there through circumstance and playing for Celtic 'big team'.

A few years ago Patterson & Hickey would have been considered heading towards a similar trajectory however one looks heading for top club/level and the other Championship. Hoping for some development of Calvin Ramsey to start knocking on the door as 3rd choice or even pushing for 2nd.

I didn't see the game but I have now seen the highlights, but the main thing I've seen is loads of comments saying that "Shankland is our best striker" or "Shankland > Dykes & Adams"...

The number of people so oblivious to our style of play, acting as if Shankland is now our godsent saviour, makes me wonder: do people actually watch Scotland?

I've said it for a while, but Adams and Dykes are forwards, not strikers. They hold/get the ball up the park for the midfield to push up and then, typically, score (how else does McTominay score so many?). Shankland is more of a goal-scoring striker, which is good, but compared to Adams and, in particular, Dykes, I don't think he has those same hold-up play qualities.

He should probably be on the plane to Germany - he's turned up to camp after camp, even without much gametime, and you can tell he wants to be there.

I just don't think one headed goal against Georgia suddenly means he should be the first-choice #9 from here on out.

10 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Georgia's David Tennant-a-like may be a good player but after scoring two goals yon 'tackle' on Ferguson and his gracelessness when he got the yellow indicate a lack of class.

I had to read this post a few times, as it confused me because, by coincidence, David Tennant's wife is called Georgia. I was wondering what it had to do with her

8 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

I think we're only short a real stand out attacking player from being a side of that quality. Wales with Bale and to a certain extent Georgia with Kvaratskhelia are good examples of how much one player can elevate a team.

With everyone fit and available parhaps but suspensions and injuries expose the lack of depth in the squad. Thankfully we have the finest Scottish international manager in living memory (which in my case goes back to Bobby Brown) at the helm which is why I'm almost convinced this Scotland team will go where no Scotland team has gone before and lose a knock-out match at a major tournament. !

21 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think Patterson would do better if he were playing more at Everton. He’s not a bad player but I think he’s one that needs a game or two to get back to his best if he has been out.

He looks like he is lacking a bit of confidence compared to the way he played when he first came in which was pretty fearless. It is probably not surprising due to his club situation.

Other than that, we didn’t play to Dykes’ strengths probably due to injuries to key players, particularly Robertson and Tierney getting forward with width. McGinn was getting pretty wound up by their sh*te and was pretty average overall. 

I would love to see Doak in a game like that in the near future. He would would have created space for everyone as they would have sat off him due to his pace and probably would have drawn about 2 red cards given their collective heads gone.

Both those goals more than likely go in anyway with Gunn or Gordon in goal and probably no one would be blaming either of them: the blame would instead be focused on the bigger culprits with Patterson at fault for both and Taylor, McKenna, Porteous and McGinn all contributing to one each.

There's the obvious caveat that he's been up against Mbappe and Kvaratskhelia in his last two games, but Patterson's performances are still a real concern. It's a shame that Calvin Ramsay has had such a lengthy injury but hopefully he's playing regularly soon and competes for the second choice slot.

Edited by Dunning1874

Just now, Snobot said:

We didn’t play to Dykes’ strengths

I'll have to look at the game again, but starting Dykes where we built play through the thirds with Gilmour or McGregor coming short for the ball wasn't too effective. We did push the ball wide like normal and put in a number of crosses - so maybe that's why we wanted him playing. His link up play to feet can be good, but it's more generally hit and miss. I forgot he was playing for the first quarter of the game. 

Patterson is fairly pish as well tbh. I don't think he's progressed at all in the past 3 years. As a player he's less than the sum of his parts, if that makes sense. He occasionally has flashes of having decent technique, but rarely contributes offensively, gives the ball away a lot and is terrible defensively. 

30 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Greg Taylor 🤝 giving away goals

Name a better combo. Guy is absolutely pish and out of his depth anytime he's not playing against the Ross County's of this world.

Give Doig a game please. I don't think Steve Clarke will drop his Kilmarnock son though.

I think Taylor went through a decent spell of form not too long ago and I wasn’t too worried about him stepping in. But recently his Scotland performances and for Celtic in Europe have been bowfing.

1 hour ago, ClydeTon said:

I didn't see the game but I have now seen the highlights, but the main thing I've seen is loads of comments saying that "Shankland is our best striker" or "Shankland > Dykes & Adams"...

The number of people so oblivious to our style of play, acting as if Shankland is now our godsent saviour, makes me wonder: do people actually watch Scotland?

I've said it for a while, but Adams and Dykes are forwards, not strikers. They hold/get the ball up the park for the midfield to push up and then, typically, score (how else does McTominay score so many?). Shankland is more of a goal-scoring striker, which is good, but compared to Adams and, in particular, Dykes, I don't think he has those same hold-up play qualities.

He should probably be on the plane to Germany - he's turned up to camp after camp, even without much gametime, and you can tell he wants to be there.

I just don't think one headed goal against Georgia suddenly means he should be the first-choice #9 from here on out.

I pretty much completely agree with what you are saying here, but it is very harsh on Shankland as he isn’t just a “goal scoring striker” I don’t think Dykes’ link up play is his best quality and Shankland is a better technical football player. We all know what Dykes can offer beyond that though! Adams is the best link player of the lot and obviously has the athleticism Shankland doesn’t too.  

1 hour ago, ClydeTon said:

All well and good but Dykes' hold up play last night was absolutely brutal. The ball just bounced off him

The thing about Shankland is that he can do the hold up stuff as well. He's done well in Europe as a lone striker and even a number 10. I'd say all round he's better than Dykes at this point, not just because he scored

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I pretty much completely agree with what you are saying here, but it is very harsh on Shankland as he isn’t just a “goal scoring striker” I don’t think Dykes’ link up play is his best quality and Shankland is a better technical football player. We all know what Dykes can offer beyond that though! Adams is the best link player of the lot and obviously has the athleticism Shankland doesn’t too.  

I think Shankland's best quality is certainly goals, he scores them constantly for Hearts and, whilst I recognise his other qualities, I feel that when compared to Dykes/Adams, he's probably not making that. Certainly, I wouldn't thrust him straight in for the Euros, but perhaps the March/Pre-Euros friendly windows.

Easy to forget how young Patterson is, at 22 he's the age Andy Robertson was when he was bouncing between the Championship and Barclays with Hull.

Was 23 before getting his big move and it was still another 6 months before he started getting a regular game.

Not saying Patterson is as good but I'm not writing him off yet.

1 minute ago, ClydeTon said:

I think Shankland's best quality is certainly goals, he scores them constantly for Hearts and, whilst I recognise his other qualities, I feel that when compared to Dykes/Adams, he's probably not making that. Certainly, I wouldn't thrust him straight in for the Euros, but perhaps the March/Pre-Euros friendly windows.

I don’t think he is anywhere close to pushing Adams or Dykes out of the first two slots but he often plays as a number ten at Hearts and IMO I think can link the play better than Dykes. Ultimately, you would need to see him get more game time at this level to prove that point though. 

By all accounts Ross Stewart is basically a more technical Dykes, so could potentially push them all out but I haven’t seen very much of him!