Georgia vs Scotland 16th Nov '23

Gordopolis

A poor performance tonight and mainly just confirmed what we already knew, that a lot of our back up options are well below the required standard.

We already knew the drop off in keeper after Gunn & Gordon was massive.

Taylor is miles off international standard both offensively and defensively, and that was with us playing a back four which would have suited him more than left wingback in a five.

Patterson is poor defensively and wasteful going forward, though with the odd bit of success.

Don't get the Gilmour criticism. He took the ball off the defenders time and time again in the first half and not one other midfielder gave him an option. McGregor should have been hooked as it's literally his job to link up between Gilmour and the players higher up the park.

Christie is best used as a sub in the last half an hour when his running causes defenders problems. He's not good enough to do it from the start.

Dykes clearly had a poor game and should have been subbed earlier.

McLean did nothing despite being on the pitch for over 50 minutes.

Ferguson was pretty much headless chicken stuff again when he came on.

Although Armstrong doesn't have that real drive that he used to he did at least show a touch more quality when he came on than a lot of the others tonight. And it was good to see Shankland get a goal.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

4 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Heard from a mate there their fans were raining stuff down on the Scotland fans. Ridiculous this stuff is still allowed to happen. 

Yip. Was even worse when we got to the shared stairwells too. Just constant stuff getting chucked at Scotland fans and the hapless security team pretty much herded the Scots into one place for them. 

I'm pretty disappointed in the progression of Patterson but didn't he have a pretty bad injury that kept him out for a good while? Added to that being in an Everton squad that has been in freefall for most of his time there and I think it's probably a bit early to be writing him off I reckon.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Heard from a mate there their fans were raining stuff down on the Scotland fans. Ridiculous this stuff is still allowed to happen. 

Can confirm. Bottles and cups flying down. They ended up with police all the way around the top tier but it didn’t do much.

Like other Eastern European cities/venues - security and police everywhere, and doing the square root of f all.

Most of it taken well - some Georgian fans completely lost the heid. A bit like their team did in Glasgow. Not enjoyed a goal quite like that before - get it round them.

Besides that, Georgia fans have been great. Lovely city - just an utterly clueless security setup. 

The first half was a really abysmal performance, but the second improved to make it an even game imo (which still isn't good). I thought Porteous did pretty well covering for Patterson and McLean was a decent option between the lines at points. Ferguson seemed to link play OK too. Them, maybe McTominay and obviously Shankland were the only ones to emerge with more positive comments than negative. McGinn was anonymous until about 80 minutes, but I actually thought he was excellent thereafter. 

Georgia were pretty good at narrowing our shape and switching it wide, and in Kvaratskhelia they had an absolutely ridiculous 1 v 1 player up against quite a crap defender. Sometimes players just look a level above everyone else at this level (especially given we were without Robertson) and he was crazy good. 

17 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I should add that I had a few whiskies during the game. I looked at the clock after the game expecting it to be near to kip time and realised it was still early. God bless 5pm kick offs.

During and after.

A Waterford, Dailuaine and Laphroaig Càirdeas.

1 minute ago, edinabear said:

Pleased with the draw but if we are to become the tier 1/strong tier 2 side that we all think we should be these sort of results and performances need to be a thing of the past 

Respectfully disagree.

We are never going to be a team who play well in every qualifying game.

Weve played shite in 2 out of 7 games so far, tonight and Norway away. Weve come away with 4 points from those games.

Thats the sign of a good team.

56 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Clark - think some of the criticism is a bit OTT. We know he isnt good enough for this level, but it doesnt change the fact he is prob the best available right now. 6/10

Patterson - better as a RWB than RB. Can see theres a player there, but his lack of development over the past couple years is worrying. Was okay, but wasteful. 6/10

Porteous - one wild pass aside, one of our better players on the night. 7/10

McKenna - went walkabout for their first goal and is such a clear drop off in quality on the ball compared to Hendry and Tierney. Place at the Euros in doubt. 5/10

Taylor - shite. Tonight he went from 4th choice LB to 5th for me. Wouldnt be suprised to see him phased out the squad for Doig. 4/10

McGregor - annonymous if not for his insistence on passing the ball backwards when he has an opportunity to move it forward. 5/10

Gilmour - off it tonight, especially when trying to force ir forward. Correct decision to take him off. 4/10

McGinn - tried hard but left Patterson exposed when he drifted inside. Nothing really came off for him. 5/10

McTominay - looked most threatening for large spells. Good finish for the goal. 6/10

Christie - losts of running without anything really coming off. Does so much good work ruined by a poor final ball. 5/10

Dykes - looked off it from the start. Bit like the Norway game, was never really in the game and wasnt enough of a pest we know he can be. 5/10

SSC - picked the team I largely thought he would so cant argue with it. Didnt fanny about with making subs and trying to change things. 6/10

Overall the result is just about fine,  but performance should have been better. Sunday becomes a big game. Need to win to avoid us going potentially six months without victory.

I thought Gilmour was great. He demanded the ball and always tried to move it forwards. I get that it didn't always work out, but I'd rather players tried and failed than didn't.

McGinn is great when it's a fair fight or a 60-40, but when we're up against it he's fucking rubbish and simply disappears. He's not the player to take the game by the scruff of the neck and as such gets a very lenient deal from fans. I think we should expect more from him to be honest. He was fucking rubbish tonight.

This was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen since Brian Cassidy made a colossal arse of Thistle v QOS in 2002. Every time their lad went down he gave a foul and every time he gave a foul for us in our own half he never let us take it quickly. An utter shitebag who should bever be allowed to ref another senior game ever again. 

I hope Georgia get relegated. A bunch of arseholes.

12 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Respectfully disagree.

We are never going to be a team who play well in every qualifying game.

Weve played shite in 2 out of 7 games so far, tonight and Norway away. Weve come away with 4 points from those games.

Thats the sign of a good team.

As do I. Unlikely we will ever become a Tier 1 side as such because we are a relatively small nation with a smaller player pool v nations with 10x the population. Sure Croatia have done it but that was a golden generation.

I would say we are a decent Tier 2 side and given we were Tier 4 not that long ago then I will take that. 

Performance was not great but we are missing an entire 1st choice defence. But given the history in Georgia. Given they have won 13 of their last 20 games. Given they were at home. Given they were play acting fuckwits. Given the referee was useless. I think a 2-2 draw is an OK result all things considered. Especially being behind twice.

Many Scotland teams in the past would have lost that type of game today……… and in fact did twice. 

Edited by welldaft

25 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

During and after.

A Waterford, Dailuaine and Laphroaig Càirdeas.

Lucky you. I've got high level of Gamma Glutamyl Transferase and am giving my liver several weeks  rest.  😡

I've had no withdrawal symptoms until I switched on the game and a craving for beer came over me. 

Triggers, eh?     I resisted.

My wife drinks almost as much as me and has a GGT level of 26.     Mine is 250.

I know this post is irrelevant as far as the match is concerned, I just wanted a wee grumble, soz.

33 minutes ago, Binos said:

For me...a decent draw, with an injury ravaged side, in a place we've always lost 

Yeah, it's a shame we didn't give Spain more to do in their final group game, but the result doesn't look so bad with context.

Oh, and could people please stop referring to this game as a "dead rubber"? Absolutely mental stuff from folk who probably considered the games against Spain a "free hit"  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Not a particularly good performance, the result is okay - I can live with an indifferent result if the performance is good, but we just looked a bit muddled and disconnected. Shanklands goal came from a ball into the back stick, but I don't think that strategy - one we tried throughout - was too effective. Overall, a little disappointed - but the team isn't always going to play brilliantly and fair play to them for not giving up and getting some kind of result.

Pretty much a half team out there. In a game which is essentially a dead rubber. Would’ve been almost impossible to top the group.
If everyone is fit/available then clark, Taylor, McKenna and patterson aren’t playing. 
Midfield to front was as strong as we could put out but losing the goal allowed Georgia to dig in.

The fact that we broke them down twice shows we have that quality in us. 
If robbo/tierney playing we don’t lose that first goal imo.

Edited by PrestersKTID

Just now, BFTD said:

Yeah, it's a shame we didn't give Spain more to do in their final group game, but the result doesn't look so bad with context.

Oh, and could people please stop referring to this game as a "dead rubber"? Absolutely mental stuff from folk who probably considered the games against Spain a "free hit"  :rolleyes:

Seconded. It's just dim patter (even dimmer than me naming 12 players in my starting xi in the original post in this thread)