Georgia vs Scotland 16th Nov '23

Gordopolis

6 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

I think Shankland's best quality is certainly goals, he scores them constantly for Hearts and, whilst I recognise his other qualities, I feel that when compared to Dykes/Adams, he's probably not making that. Certainly, I wouldn't thrust him straight in for the Euros, but perhaps the March/Pre-Euros friendly windows.

It's one goal, the reaction is a bit knee-jerk saying get him on the plane. If he can keep going well enough at club level to be called up in March and does well he has a chance as it's an area that we have space. It's up to him, but there is an opportunity - it's up to him to take it.

Edited by 2426255

8 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's one goal, the reaction is a bit knee-jerk saying get him on the plane. If he can keep going well enough at club level to be called up and does well in March he has a chance as it's an area that we're lacking in. It's up to him, but there is an opportunity if he can take it..

Would Sunday not be a better opportunity to test him out rather than relying on club form, which we know is a lower level than his competitors 

12 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Georgia's David Tennant-a-like may be a good player but after scoring two goals yon 'tackle' on Ferguson and his gracelessness when he got the yellow indicate a lack of class.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I had to read this post a few times, as it confused me because, by coincidence, David Tennant's wife is called Georgia. I was wondering what it had to do with her

Until your response, I read it as David Templeton and considered it oddly random but nonetheless high praise indeed....

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

Would Sunday not be a better opportunity to test him out rather than relying on club form, which we know is a lower level than his competitors 

As has been said before these two games aren't about preparing for the Euro's.

There will be a desire to put out the team with the best chance of winning the game. If Shankland starts then he'll be starting because Steve Clarke has decided he is one of the eleven players most likely to help us win the game and not for another reason such as testing him out.

Shanklands goal could turn out to be very crucial in the way we are seeded for the group stage. 

If we had lost, we would have definitely been in pot 3. 

We are currently 3 points behind Austria who have already finished their campaign. 

If we beat Norway by 2 goals on Sunday, we will be seeded in pot 2. As we would over take Austria on GD.

Anything less, and we are likely to be in pot 3. 

Just now, Connor7 said:

Shanklands goal could turn out to be very crucial in the way we are seeded for the group stage. 

If we had lost, we would have definitely been in pot 3. 

We are currently 3 points behind Austria who have already finished their campaign. 

If we beat Norway by 2 goals on Sunday, we will be seeded in pot 2. As we would over take Austria on GD.

Anything less, and we are likely to be in pot 3. 

Is there a strong case to prefer being in Pot-2 instead of Pot-3?

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

As has been said before these two games aren't about preparing for the Euro's.

There will be a desire to put out the team with the best chance of winning the game. If Shankland starts then he'll be starting because Steve Clarke has decided he is one of the eleven players most likely to help us win the game and not for another reason such as testing him out.

Correct

46 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Is there a strong case to prefer being in Pot-2 instead of Pot-3?

After looking into the current pots as things stand….maybe we should just take a 1-0 win on Sunday rather than the 2 goals lol. 

Pot 3 looks stronger 

IMG_1315.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

After looking into the current pots as things stand….maybe we should just take a 1-0 win on Sunday rather than the 2 goals lol. 

Pot 3 looks stronger 

IMG_1315.jpeg

I'm not saying that 😂 just that our seeding is probably not going to make a massive difference to our chances of a 'good' draw so need to overworry about that.

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, Jim Main said:

England, us and Wales in the same group. Guaranteed...

Fucking hope not. The buzzkill would be extreme. Croatia were the only team that was a bit different in Euro2020.

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Fucking hope not. The buzzkill would be extreme. Croatia were the only team that was a bit different in Euro2020.

Oh indeed...plus our schizophrenic Neanderthal media would go into overdrive over playing 'the auld enemy' (fucking YAWN !) once again to the detriment of everything else. 

Therefore...guaranteed.

30 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

Pot 3 looks stronger 

IMG_1315.jpeg

France, Belgium, Croatia would be the draw, and chucking Italy and the Dutch in as they just fancy one group of 6 on the draw day without any prior notice.

I wouldn’t mind the likes of Austria, Turkey, us and Romania. Easier top seed, but a bit of the unknown too, with a couple of teams, one of which we haven’t played competitively for 30 years and one we’ve never played competitively.

9 hours ago, lau03143 said:

First goal was a defensive nightmare, from letting the lad run across half the park, Taylor not covering his runner, same with Porteous, and Clark letting the ball go through him at the near post. Second goal, again, ball has travelled a long way, but in full line of vision for Clark and it's went straight through him. 

He's a decent enough goalie in an emergency, or a game like this when not too much is on the line, and he merits his place in the squad, though I would be worried if he was our #1.

Neither goal went "through" Clark.  That's just daft.

They were both good finishes.  The second was certainly saveable, but if he'd got a strong left hand on it to block it, it would really have been a great save.

Stewart in commentary was initially of the view that it went under Clark.  When the replays showed otherwise, he stuck to the idea that the goalkeeper was at fault on the basis that it wasn't just inside the post.  He's right that it wasnt, which is what meant it wasn't completely unstoppable.

Overall, Clark didn't do much wrong.  He just didn't do anything brilliant when called upon either.

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Neither goal went "through" Clark.  That's just daft.

They were both good finishes.  The second was certainly saveable, but if he'd got a strong left hand on it to block it, it would really have been a great save.

Stewart in commentary was initially of the view that it went under Clark.  When the replays showed otherwise, he stuck to the idea that the goalkeeper was at fault on the basis that it wasn't just inside the post.  He's right that it wasnt, which is what meant it wasn't completely unstoppable.

Overall, Clark didn't do much wrong.  He just didn't do anything brilliant when called upon either.

That is Clark. He will never win you a match with amazing saves but never does much wrong.