Georgia vs Scotland 16th Nov '23

Gordopolis

2 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

After consecutive games against some of the best teams, and the resulting narrative that we've lost our momentum, I think he'll be going into this the same as if qualification was on the line. Even in friendlies he tends to start with the best available team IIRC.

My concern is that when we go to Germany we will be missing some of our favourite players through injury and we should be prepared for that. We need to squad ready to play. I might be looking too far ahead.

21 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Maybe not, he has a duty to the travelling fans. He might feel he has to pick the best team.

He'll pick the team he feels will give him the best chance of winning the game. If that means starting Ferguson and Brown at the expense of McGinn and McGregor then that's fine. I understand from a fan perspective they want to see new guys in the team to get a look at them and what they can do, but in my view an argument around game time isn't something that will come into it and that's more of a manufactured reason to get these two into the team than anything else.

It's pretty obvious he is very open to Lewis Ferguson being in the team, less obviously with Jacob Brown - but I'm sure they'll get good game time this window in whatever form. What's best for the team as a whole and gives us the best chance of success will probably be at the front of his mind.

Edited by 2426255

I think the easiest way to get Lewis Ferguson into the team is to play less defenders. I thought Steve Clarke might do that in the previous camps, but he's continued to stick. John Carver said they're considering trying a few things with a view to continuing our evolution, but it's not clear to what he was referring or whether it'd be seen this window - so it just depends how you choose to interpret it.

you know, on and off the park so we'll be making sure that we have a focus and we're not going to experiment, but we are going to try one or two things that we think will take us to the next level.

John Carver

Carver was general when asked about Lewis Ferguson forcing his way into a starting position.

Rave reviews in Italy about Lewis Ferguson, how big a Scotland future do you think he has?

It's great. I mean, when you think about it we have some young players pushing their way through and in particular Lewis (Ferguson) had an extremely good game in Lille, but he's one player that you know is really, really developing: he's playing in a physical league and he's dealing with it really well so he is one player - there's other players who are progressing so you know - who knows? and this is why I talk about there is a lot of time from now and the championships. He could be one of the players who forces his way and gives Steve an even more difficult decision to make.

In terms of in the midfield starting?

In terms of getting the opportunity to start? yeah, yeah, yeah.         

John Carver

https://youtu.be/t3AHwRZmPMg?si=NrASTfVmqSgcdFPA

Steve Clarke spoke recently about Ferguson. He gave away little other than saying he likes him as a player:

He is very clued up and switched on. There are a lot of times when he is turning up for us and I have fantastic midfield players and he is not getting on the pitch and you pull him aside for a little chat and he understands completely. It’s not like he is not spitting his dummy out. He is just very understanding that he has to be patient and wait for his chance. It just shows what an intelligent young man he is.

I am pretty sure when he gets his chance he will show everyone how good he is. I thought he did well against France (in the friendly defeat in Lille last month). He was good. He played in two or three positions on the pitch in that game and he has played in two or three positions for Bologna, although recently they have settled on him as the one behind the striker. He scored a fantastic goal last Friday night, it was a fantastic finish. And that is what he does. He has that threat. But if you watched the end of that game when they are 1-0 up and trying to close the game out, he is running around and is in the right position trying to close people down. He is doing very well Lewis.

These days Serie A clubs don’t have the most money, but it is still a good league. If you watch the Italian league games, they are very, very tactical. When the players come in, I notice it. Particularly in Fergie’s case. Tactically, he is very astute. Having his sort of nous is going to be very important going into Euro 2024. We will have a smaller squad than Euro 2020, so 23 players. We need everybody ready to play their part. Hopefully Lewis stays fit and continues to do what he is doing and is part of that group next summer.

Steve Clarke

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/scots-abroad/lewis-ferguson-bologna-heroics-hailed-28091066

Edited by 2426255

I have the fear for this game due to us having nothing on the flanks. Taylor is a quite significant downgrade on Robbo and Patterson is guff defensively compared to Hickey.

Georgia won't be as bad as they were at Hampden. 2-0 Georgia.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I have the fear for this game due to us having nothing on the flanks. Taylor is a quite significant downgrade on Robbo and Patterson is guff defensively compared to Hickey.

Georgia won't be as bad as they were at Hampden. 2-0 Georgia.

you are fucking brutal sir

23 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Thought I'd start a match thread for this.

Looking fwd to this tie in the sense that there is no existential terror involved, and - mainly because of injury - we need to try out a few different players.  At the same time it's important not to veer too far from our core as we really do need to get back to winning ways for morale's sake.

So I'm thinking:

Liam Kelly

Patterson  Porteous Hendry McKenna Taylor

Gilmour McGregor

McTominay McGinn Ferguson

Brown

Really tempting to start with Dykes as I'd like him to get back on the scoresheet for us, but Brown looked dangerous in flashes when he came on vs France, and he really needs a start to show what he can offer. From what I've seen of him he looks more towards the Adams end of the Adams-Dykes spectrum (technical & pacy vs physical out ball).

Predicting a 2-1 win for us (Brown, Hendry)

Can we get away with starting 12 players though? Personally I am not impressed by any of our GK options so I think I'd go:

Patterson  Porteous  Hendry  Taylor

Gilmour McGregor

Brown  Dykes

15 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

you are fucking brutal sir

Ken, and I'd normally be in the "nowt to worry about" camp, but I think we're downplaying the impact having a jobber fullback pairing, an utter Jobber of a goalie and no KT will have on not just how we play, but on how Georgia set up too.

I hope I'm very wrong.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Our "jobber" full-backs are Celtic's first choice and a Premier League player, it's hardly the days of having to fall back on guys like Robbie Neilson or Paul Dixon.

And we all know how fantastic Celtic's first choice are when faced by non Scottish opposition and non Scottish referees.......3-0 Georgia.

Awfully negative on here regarding this game.😁 Our past experiences in Georgia must have deeply scarred the psyche or is it the run of 3 consecutive defeats that have stopped momentum? I'm guessing most people couldn't name 3 Georgian players without the help of Wikipedia so not sure it's based on our opponents strengths.

There are lots of reasons for the players available to perform well, not least to secure a place in the Euro's squad and there doesn't have to be huge disruption to the team outside of the goalkeeper and wing/full backs so I see no reason that we can't go there, play well and hopefully collect the 3-points.

The team have successfully overcome injuries to important players in the past using the depth of the squad so there is no reason to go into tomorrow thinking any differently.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

Can we get away with starting 12 players though? Personally I am not impressed by any of our GK options so I think I'd go:

Patterson  Porteous  Hendry  Taylor

Gilmour McGregor

Brown  Dykes

Any many, I like it. I like it a lot. 

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

And we all know how fantastic Celtic's first choice are when faced by non Scottish opposition and non Scottish referees.......3-0 Georgia.

A late winner in Cyprus, the absolute chasing they got at home off Spain, their limp performance at Hampden (not to mention how rattled they got by some weather); hardly Atletico Madrid we're playing.

We'll turn them over no bother. 

Glad to see Shankland included in the squad, eventually. Bit surprising he was left out initially given how light we are up-front and with the lack of goals domestically across the forwards selected.

Can see him gettng some game time and hopefully making an impact. Would trust him more than Brown to create something from what I've seen.

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think the easiest way to get Lewis Ferguson into the team is to play less defenders. I thought Steve Clarke might do that in the previous camps, but he's continued to stick. John Carver said they're considering trying a few things with a view to continuing our evolution, but it's not clear to what he was referring or whether it'd be seen this window - so it just depends how you choose to interpret it.

Carver was general when asked about Lewis Ferguson forcing his way into a starting position.

https://youtu.be/t3AHwRZmPMg?si=NrASTfVmqSgcdFPA

Steve Clarke spoke recently about Ferguson. He gave away little other than saying he likes him as a player:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/scots-abroad/lewis-ferguson-bologna-heroics-hailed-28091066

There's also the fact that we as fans don't always notice the experimentation. I've not watched the Turkey game back, and I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, but I remember Grant Jendo on Twitter talking about us doing some bolder stuff in terms of shape on the ball - particularly regarding Hendry's positioning. Clarke's tweaks aren't always as clear as deciding to play with two strikers, one holding midfielder etc.

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

There's also the fact that we as fans don't always notice the experimentation. I've not watched the Turkey game back, and I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, but I remember Grant Jendo on Twitter talking about us doing some bolder stuff in terms of shape on the ball - particularly regarding Hendry's positioning. Clarke's tweaks aren't always as clear as deciding to play with two strikers, one holding midfielder etc.

Most fans see a different game and are looking for different things. All the fan reaction I saw to the France friendly suggested Ferguson's performance was okay, but not great. Compare that to what Clarke and Carver thought.

Kelly

Patterson Porteous McKenna Taylor 

McGregor McTominay

McGinn Ferguson Christie

Dykes

Maybe Brown and Shankland in for Ferguson or Dykes, but reckon the team will look a bit like this. 2-0 Scotland