Georgia vs Scotland 16th Nov '23

Gordopolis

7 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

What is the deal with everyone wanting McTominay playing deep alongside McGregor? Have you all missed all the previous games in this campaign?

He was great deeper against Spain twice and away to France. Different kinds of games, obvs, but still good games there. 

I'd really like to see Lewis Ferguson get a start. I realise our midfield options are a strength but he's doing really well in Serie A and this match (a dead rubber, but still an official qualifier rather than a friendly) would be an ideal one to give him more international experience and see what he contributes.

Him, McGinn and McTominay with Gilmour and McGregor behind them would be nice, although I have a feeling Ferguson might just get subbed on later.

2 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I'd really like to see Lewis Ferguson get a start. I realise our midfield options are a strength but he's doing really well in Serie A and this match (a dead rubber, but still an official qualifier rather than a friendly) would be an ideal one to give him more international experience and see what he contributes.

Him, McGinn and McTominay with Gilmour and McGregor behind them would be nice, although I have a feeling Ferguson might just get subbed on later.

This is no more a dead rubber than the Denmark game was. It matters if we care about Pot 2, otherwise it doesn’t.

Assuming 4atb, I’ve no issues with whoever SC picks in midfield. It’s as strong a midfield in Europe outwith the obvious elite sides.

16 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He was great deeper against Spain twice and away to France. Different kinds of games, obvs, but still good games there. 

A fair point, but Georgia are basically pish, so we should be getting the big McTominator about their defence as much as possible, imo.

5 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

This is no more a dead rubber than the Denmark game was. It matters if we care about Pot 2, otherwise it doesn’t.

Assuming 4atb, I’ve no issues with whoever SC picks in midfield. It’s as strong a midfield in Europe outwith the obvious elite sides.

It also matters because Spain haven't won all their games yet. Of course the chances of them slipping up are tiny, but imagine they concede an injury time equaliser to Georgia on Sunday and we're second anyway because we fielded a second-string side in Georgia and drew. That would be disappointing.

I don't see why we would play a second string side, where is that idea coming from? Steve Clarke will pick the team that he believes gives us the best chance of winning the game - all the press has been about halting the losing run and building momentum. The players chosen will be based on who best suits the game after the management team have analysed Georgia's strengths/weaknesses etc.

If Ferguson or Brown or say Ralston are chosen it will be for a reason other than just resting key players or giving boys a run out. 

56 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

This is no more a dead rubber than the Denmark game was.

It's astonishing how many people still believe that Denmark went easy on us, despite them losing out on top seeded status thanks to us, and a lovely six-figure bonus per man too IIRC.

48 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

It also matters because Spain haven't won all their games yet. Of course the chances of them slipping up are tiny, but imagine they concede an injury time equaliser to Georgia on Sunday and we're second anyway because we fielded a second-string side in Georgia and drew. That would be disappointing.

Despite mauling Georgia in the first game, it should be no surprise to anyone if Spain are kept at bay in the first half, only to change absolutely nothing about their gameplan and pass the ball about on the edge of the Georgian box for the entirety of the second.

It probably won't happen, but Spain very much have that in them.