Scotland vs Norway 19th November 2023

MarkoRaj

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's a mental selection IMO

How's that? Does not matter much which pot 1 team it is and we drew with england last time; we also beat denmark recently altough we could get another beatable team from that pot

germany have been weak recently but we don't want to play the hosts ideally

Having england in our group should motivate us too

-

Edited by Craigie Jambo

I always feel like there's goals in this team. We've given away some stupid goals in the last couple of games with a makeshift backline but we have come back multiple times and I think that's a good sign.

As long as we don't have to rely on Taylor, Brown or Clark at all in the Euros I think we'll do OK 

Edited by MarkoRaj

On 18/11/2023 at 22:11, General dissaray said:

32 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

As good as I’m sure he’ll be don’t think he’d be able to defend Zanders performance tonight (or Taylor, Brown & Patterson) . 

Patterson was o.k.

56 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Has the real prize of securing Pot 3 been achieved?

Yes !  SSC has it sussed

55 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It’s poor from Clark but nowhere near enough being said about Patterson, utterly pathetic from him, he’s not good enough when being played at wingback even when being released from defensive duties,  he should never ever find himself at right back as a full time professional.

Nonsense he could have done a bit better at the first ( a midfielder could have helped ) but did have that brilliant block just before HT

55 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

An odd take on a night where every chance Norway created came down the opposite flank.

Agreed

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Just the 3 goals down Greg Taylor's side tonight. Impressive.

A shambolic football player. 

Steve Clarke's a great manager with plenty credit in the bank but the favouritism he has with certain players like this chump and that Brown guy are deeply, deeply frustrating.

59 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Surely this international break was the perfect time to give Josh Doig a run out? 

Absolutely 

58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Taylor, I've never, ever got him at all. He's shite.

He is o.k. going forward 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

20 minutes too late for Shankland.

( and ) the game had opened up a bit as well

4 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

I always feel like there's goals in this team. We've given away some stupid goals in the last couple of games with a makeshift backline but we have come back multiple times and I think that's a good sign.

As long as we don't have to rely on Taylor, Brown or Clark at all in the Euros I think we'll do OK 

It was quite brutal viewing and it should be Gordon or Gunn, absolutely

1 hour ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

I know Clarke is thrawn but hopefully this has shown him which of these players are no where near good enough 

D9D9B90E-8F35-4EFC-9C0E-EFC77D5F4C62.jpeg

I quite enjoyed it, for a game with nothing much riding on it, it was a fun watch at times, but was disappointing how poor we were after going 3-2 up. A few of the guys who maybe had to prove something today just didn't unfortunately, and the back 4 just didn't work. Gunn, Hickey, Robertson and Tierney were always on the plane if fit, but god, today really showed how much we need them fit and firing in Germany.

39 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

How did that work out? Jacob Brown was horseshit. Weak and a fish out of water.

Clarke's record as manager is irrefutable but his tinkering tonight was awful and manmanagement of Shankland not good.

And now we know Brown isnt a viable option as a lone striker. The very reason you play him in a game like this.

Thought the set up was weird tonight, but he was clearly trying something. Fine. 

And youre guessing about his man management of Shankland. Would I have given him more time? Yes. But youve no idea what was/wasnt agreed or said behind closed doors. No need to make an issue out of nothing.

Disappointing result, but that’s partly down to the standards we’ve set in the last couple of years.  The rest due to changes forced by injury, and SC making some unforced changes that proved either to be ineffective, or were as ineffective as he expected.

Clark isn’t anywhere near good enough for international level.  Taylor is fine if needed, but a huge drop off from Robertson/Hickey/Tierney.

McLean/Armstrong absolutely fine, but I wouldn’t want to start with them.  I certainly don’t want to be starting with them both or a combination of either and Jack.  It’s too slow, too one-dimensional, and too easy to defend.  Gilmour is streets ahead further back, and Christie/McTominay/McGinn are better in the forward position.

Brown doesn’t look close to the level of Dykes or Adams.  Shankland probably the best of the rest of the strikers, and probably has a role to play depending on what we need, and who we are playing.

We’ve often debated 4atb/5atb, but we’ve looked very vulnerable these last two games.  Difficult to know how much is due to personnel, and how much due to players not working well in the formation.  4/5 goals came from down the left, and we look a lot weaker with only two in the middle.

We’ve learned a lot this last year or so.  One thing we’ve yet to really resolve is an attacking option to change a game (pace/guile/dribbling?), and our current strikers just seem imperfect.  There’s no ace up our sleeves currently.  A Doak, Barnes, Fraser is a different type of player, and we would benefit from being able to change things.

We could no doubt debate who best to play in friendlies, but we need wins and momentum so ideally a Tier 1 side can wait until June.  The playoffs and Finals draw will determine how small the pool of options is for March.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

I think we learned what we needed to tonight about who won't be on the plane to Germany in a perfect world. Safe to say Zander Clark, Greg Taylor and Jacob Brown have played their way out of contention for me.

Worth experimenting tonight but also a real shame to not pick up any momentum.

Mental game tonight cant believe we went from Marshall Gordon McGregor Gunn to Clarke Kelly and McCrorie 

I'll say something positive on the issue though apart from the obvious that McCrorie and Mclaughlin need to move

I thought that Slicker had excellent game against Belgium was really impressed he is only getting cup games at Ipswich 

But hopefully he can find a loan somewhere and play becouse thought he looks excellent even better than McCrorie for his age

So maybe just maybe we might have another good keeper to come in after all fingers crossed anyway troops