Most/Least Interesting Clubs in Scotland

18 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Rangers win 95% of their games but still dont win the league. That's dull.

I cant recall Partick Thistle ever having a decent cup run?

Motherwell been in the same league for ages but had a few european ties.

Dundee are always entertaining (maybe not for their fans) but underachieving.

I saw Partick Thistle win a cup once at Hampden.

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Morton had an asset stripper trying to drive them out of extinction out of spite. Not something the Queenies will ever experience, being an utter non-entity of a football operation based in bumpkin country.

It’s a shame that the asset stripper didn’t finish the job, and drive the non-entity of a football operation based in a post-industrial shithole to extinction. 

15 hours ago, afca32 said:

All the shouts for us are pretty brainless tbh. In the last 30 years we have;

Had a league title taken off us for moving a game to a Friday to avoid players being suspended.

Had our highest profile home game ever postponed because we sold way more tickets than the ground holds.

Had a game postponed in August because the pitch was too dry.

Had a director and one of the main financial bankers of the club resign because a fellow director told him to stick his money up his arse via a 'hacked' email.

Had 6 (plus several recently departed) players called out by the SFA for betting breaches at once, including our standout player who won five figures betting on himself to be booked which led to a court case that lasted over 3 years.

It's not always fun but it's very rarely uninteresting supporting Elgin. Embarrassing or amusing, take your pick.

I dunno, surely every club has this kind of assortment of mental things that went on off the pitch?

On the pitch, it has to be said that Elgin have been extremely boring. 

20 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I dunno, surely every club has this kind of assortment of mental things that went on off the pitch?

On the pitch, it has to be said that Elgin have been extremely boring. 

I can't keep track with our last ten years 🤣

We've had multiple boardroom and managerial changes.

We've even had the sugar daddy - that went well...

A couple of decent teams.

5 years in the top flight.

A shite record in playoff finals.

...and Gary Caldwell 😬

Pretty happy that Rovers aren't really involved in this discussion.  We've done enough over the years not to be boring and, other than the Anelka period, haven't been too batshit crazy (although to be fair that is up there as one of the maddest seasons for any Scottish club in my lifetime).

I can see why so many are suggesting Elgin as the most dull.  They do just seem like a nothing team and even the issues they've had are all a bit meh because nobody really cares.

Dundee are a good shout for the most batshit crazy.  Binning the manager that got them promoted is just the latest in a long line of mental moments from them albeit it is actually looking like a decent decision atm.  You just never feel like their next crisis is far away.

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

15 years. "lately".

Pick one.

Also the absolute brass neck of "Queen of the South" fans trying to banter Morton about 1 season in the 4th tier. You've spent about half your existence in the bottom tier.

Well, yes (regarding our Big Cup final) - in the context of over 100 years, I'd say that is lately.

Tbf, it was you that picked on QOS, I just responded.  I have no issues with Morton as a club, I like the club and have a pal who goes to all home games at Cappielow.  Indeed I was invited to hospitality at a game at Cappielow and everyone including club officials were very welcoming to me as a QOS fan.

We may have spent half our existence in the "bottom tier" but much of that was in a 2 tier league structure (where Morton were often with us) as opposed to the present (fairly recent) 4 tier structure.  Our existence also includes a 4th top finish in the top league and leading the top league for half a season in the early 50s.

Does that make us the least interesting club?  Perhaps for fans of some clubs, perhaps for you, and if so that's fine, everyone has their views.

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Get this shite to absolute f**k.

Livingston are a stolen club.

Their daft pitch, shite stadium, and location in a crap town are far from the most offensive things about their existence. Don't make me spend another week boring the the arses off people on this.

22 hours ago, stu2910 said:

Saw a post about a non-Scot choosing a team to support with no real influence and wondered who would be best/worst.  Obviously many would be glory hunters but you could lose interest eventually.  What if you just wanted to support a box-office team and be in it for the entire rollercoaster?  Once you combine major honours, European trips, relegations, mental signings, mental managerial appointments, administrations (but not liquidations), cup upsets (good and bad) and just the ability to keep doing things you're not expecting even when you're expecting something, which clubs come out on top?

Equally, which have been dullest?

Strong case for Dundee being one of the most interesting.  The fact that the rest of the Premiership is in total dismay that we are relatively competent this year is evidence enough.

Least interesting, Stenhousemuir?  Forfar?

Bit harsh on Forfar and Stenhousemuir. Yes, Forfar has been in the doldrums since the ‘90s. Yes, Stenny are just there without ever doing much, but they both have decent wee grounds.

The likes of Edinburgh City are just an annoyance. Unlikely to do anything of note and with a fucking dreadful ground to boot. Only positive is they are in Edinburgh.

Most interesting would be a tough pick. The Scottish Premiership has been a waste of time following since the ‘90s. There’s nothing that interesting about the Scottish league clubs. They are just there. Pick one and get on with it. 

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I find both Edinburgh clubs to be interesting. Always up to no good. Bagging managers, building new stands, throwing coins, winning the odd cup, supporters spray-painting their own club crest, putting sauce on their chips…. Never dull, as a neutral* looking in to auld reekie.

*I prefer Hibs. 😜

Edinburgh City and Spartans must be the most boring clubs as you haven't realised there are now 4 Edinburgh teams in the League. 

I like Stranraer and they motor along quite nicely usually but the town is miles from anywhere and they have a 150 year history (older than both Cheeks, Hearts and Hibs etc) of doing not much. 

They're so dull in fact they took their Covid relegation with grace unlike other teams. 

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Bit harsh on Forfar and Stenhousemuir. Yes, Forfar has been in the doldrums since the ‘90s. Yes, Stenny are just there without ever doing much, but they both have decent wee grounds.

The likes of Edinburgh City are just an annoyance. Unlikely to do anything of note and with a fucking dreadful ground to boot. Only positive is they are in Edinburgh.

Most interesting would be a tough pick. The Scottish Premiership has been a waste of time following since the ‘90s. There’s nothing that interesting about the Scottish league clubs. They are just there. Pick one and get on with it. 

There's gratitude for giving Andy McNeil valuable game time. 

You lot have been dull ever since you got rid of the pink doughnuts in the pie stall. 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There's gratitude for giving Andy McNeil valuable game time. 

You lot have been dull ever since you got rid of the pink doughnuts in the pie stall. 

I believe we have cakes at the pie stands again. Not sure I would class this as exciting, but I thought I’d let you know all the same. 

I didn’t mind a trip to Meadowbank and their one big steep stand.

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

But again that just adds to the interest, if he was to pull away tomorrow they could very easily start tumbling down the leagues.

... "could" = would

If that's your idea of interesting then fine, you're entitled to your view.  I find the whole sugar daddy approach and the potential for "wee/village clubs" to temporarily rise to unsustainably high levels to be depressing in respect of the overall health of our game, but again I may be in the minority here.

4 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

... "could" = would

If that's your idea of interesting then fine, you're entitled to your view.  I find the whole sugar daddy approach and the potential for "wee/village clubs" to temporarily rise to unsustainably high levels to be depressing in respect of the overall health of our game, but again I may be in the minority here.

Things can be interesting without  necessarily agreeing with it, think you are arguing a different point really on the wrong thread.

Edited by gannonball

Least interesting is obviously Celtic, no doubt. At least the other set of bigots are good for laughing material quite often.

Outside of them then probably someone like Peterhead, not hated/high enough up the pyramid for anyone to really care if they were to embarrass themselves (see Hamilton, Falkirk, Dundee United etc). East Fife was another thought but at least they've got Raith/Dunfermline fans who would probably point and laugh if they went down.

Most is probably Dundee United, even this season when they seem to have their shit together in the Championship they still go and get knocked out the Scottish Cup by a team stinking out the league below them.

Edited by LiviLion

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Things can be interesting without  necessarily agreeing with it, think you are arguing a different point really on the wrong thread.

Quite possibly I am - although @bennett raised the Ross County subject and you then mentioned the sugar daddy funding as being in part what made them "interesting".  So I was just commenting on that really.

I'm an auld git now and so I remember a time when the financial disparities amongst clubs wasn't quite so great, albeit that the OF obviously were much better funded back then than most - but not to the massive extent they are now.  What we have now is a financial meritocracy and not a sporting competition.  But aye, as you say, I've drifted well off thread now.