Chilli D (Saints) vs Mika B (Sinners) - Sat 16th Dec 2023

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

FWIW I would be very disappointed if we appoint the youth academy guy again because surely that's a post that someone should be in for a number of years in order to yield results. 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I still think Hammel was crazy to leave the relative stability of his Head of academy role for the shortest term gig going - even allowing for the fact the academy role won't be well paid I imagine.

Possibly a discussion for our thread rather than in here but I'd kind of hope that Clarkson would be inclined to look at what happened with Hammell and have the sense to think "f**k that".

Kettlewell was in a different position as he wasn't Head of Academy and it was clear that he'd taken the role as Lead Development Coach as a way back in after his time out the game post-County.

As I've said before the worry I have is whether those actually involved in making the decisions have enough about them. Although it feels as if Burrows had his wings clipped after backing Alexander and the subsequent investment in restructure you at the very least had an idea of what profile of candidate we needed.

I guess we'll have to wait for the memoir but although he was still at the club I'm not 100% that Hammell was a Burrows appointment. It had the vibe of other board members flexing after the wheels came off the Grezza bus.

Like I say, I'm definitely not confident of the current board being able to actively convince someone to take the job when it becomes available.

6 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Good support + Good atmosphere + non Glasgow Biggots = Good c***s. 

As said before, same as Killy. 

BUT...  

Those wee boys you have in Stone Island/CP/whatever clobber, acting like Danny Dyers when they're more like Jackie Dannies... FML, fannies with pyros..! Get in the sea with you. 

Unfortunately our young guys are the exact same. Saw a post after McDairmid of them and the St  Johnstone wee guys all chasing each other about the car park and swinging fresh air punches at one another. 

It's genuinely embarrassing even as a bystander to see it.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Mental!

Hay is derided roundly by us and with good reason. He probably had better resources to play with than any St. Mirren gaffer ever and turned in a horrific performance to point that it ended his career for nearly a decade before coming back and doing well at Livi.

Screenshot_20231211_160017_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8d348d3de0a765363d27bf920981a797.jpg

PMSL at that as I had total forgot just how ridiculously bad Hay's tenure was. The start of the wilderness years so to speak. A fraud of a man.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

PMSL at that as I had total forgot just how ridiculously bad Hay's tenure was. The start of the wilderness years so to speak. A fraud of a man.

Sometimes wonder how different it would have ended upn we'd went with Alex MacDonald instead of Hay. He'd also interviewed and was intent on bringing Sandy Stewart, Kenny Black, Owen Coyle and Jimmy Sandison to the club.

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Unfortunately our young guys are the exact same. Saw a post after McDairmid of them and the St  Johnstone wee guys all chasing each other about the car park and swinging fresh air punches at one another. 

It's genuinely embarrassing even as a bystander to see it.

There's wee dickheads in every support. It's a big massive riddy seeing them walking about pretending they are hard men. 

14 hours ago, well again said:

Can you elaborate on that.  Just curious.

Think he was an agent, or what passed for one in those days, and we signed a few absolute duds that he was connected with.

No idea how true that was, but given what was happening on the pitch - and his very obvious Celtic allegiance even when working for us - anything negative around him was probably magnified.

3 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Think he was an agent, or what passed for one in those days, and we signed a few absolute duds that he was connected with.

No idea how true that was, but given what was happening on the pitch - and his very obvious Celtic allegiance even when working for us - anything negative around him was probably magnified.

Thanks for that , I don't remember hay being like that when he was our manager , but I might be wrong , it was a while ago and my memory ain't so good.

20 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Sometimes wonder how different it would have ended upn we'd went with Alex MacDonald instead of Hay. He'd also interviewed and was intent on bringing Sandy Stewart, Kenny Black, Owen Coyle and Jimmy Sandison to the club.

Now there is a list of detestable names I would not have wanted anywhere near the club.

Hay did sign big Roy Aitken who was a shining light amongst some really terrible players. But his tenure was an unmitigated disaster.

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Now there is a list of detestable names I would not have wanted anywhere near the club.

Hay did sign big Roy Aitken who was a shining light amongst some really terrible players. But his tenure was an unmitigated disaster.

Mind I was raging when he signed but he was outstanding for us albeit he might just have needed to be adequate to look good in the Hay tenure.

Remember speaking to him (Aitken not Hay) about it an SSC fanzone thing at Hampden where he was a guest a few years ago.

Roy Aitken was a player who soared in my opinion during his time with us. Previously I hadn't appreciated just how talented a player he actually was, and the positive attitude and commitment he showed while at Love Street was a credit to him.

Strangely, since he retired from football he seems to have maintained a very low profile. He could surely have had a media career if he had wanted it. 

Does anyone know what Roy did / does for a living post-football ?

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Club ambassador at Celtic apparently. 'tic website birthday post 
After managing and coaching in England and helping out with the Scottish national team he was Director of Football for a club in Dubai until 2017. Now sadly back in (un)sunny Glasgow.

17 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Roy Aitken was a player who soared in my opinion during his time with us. Previously I hadn't appreciated just how talented a player he actually was, and the positive attitude and commitment he showed while at Love Street was a credit to him.

Strangely, since he retired from football he seems to have maintained a very low profile. He could surely have had a media career if he had wanted it. 

He was fabulous with us!

Got a feeling though he had 3 red cards for us in 6 months - about the same as in the previous decade with Celtic 😄!

18 minutes ago, Richie said:

Was Planning on heading through, but no e-codes, can't pick up at stadium and tok late to post out apparently, so unless they sell on the day at the wee office I'll have to miss out.

Pretty sure they do sell on the day mate. They certainly used to. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

By coincidence, Roy Aitken was briefly mentioned on today's episode of Sacked in the Morning when Dean Windass was talking about getting three red cards in what turned out to be Aitken's last game in charge of Aberdeen. He also doesn't like Alex Miller: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gz41gr

I think Aitken is the last player to be capped for Scotland while playing for Saints.