The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

37 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I did pick him but as I quite like him it's mixed feelings

Reveal hidden contents

b*****d

I like him, too. Didn't know he was unwell. Glad he is fine!

Week 18 update

Two deaths this week. Up first golf man Peter Oosterhuis: Peter Oosterhuis obituary | Golf | The Guardian

n the gap during the 1970s between the pre-eminence of Tony Jacklin and the emergence of Nick Faldo, Peter Oosterhuis, who has died aged 75, was Britain’s best and most successful golfer. He was No 1 in Europe for four consecutive years and compiled one of the finest records in the Ryder Cup, winning an unusually high percentage of his matches during an era when the US exercised total dominance. He was also a trailblazer in the States, where he became one of the first Europeans to commit full-time to the tour there, joining in 1975 and staying until 1986. Later he carved out a successful second career as a golf analyst for the American broadcaster CBS.

In all, Oosterhuis won 20 tournaments across the world, including the Italian Open (1974) and two French Opens (1973 and 1974). He dominated the newly formed European tour from 1971 to 1974, ending up as leader of the Order of Merit in each of those years.

I also enjoyed this closing line:

Earlier in his life he had also been diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder, which had compelled him to keep incredibly detailed logs of every shot he made at every tournament, not to mention every type of bird he saw while playing – roughly 500 over his career, all identified via a copy of National Geographic Complete Birds of the World, which he carried in his golf bag. “There was a time when I could recall every course I’d ever played in fine detail, not just pars for the holes but even yardages,” he said after his Alzheimer’s diagnosis. “I wasn’t an encyclopedia, but I was close. Now it just isn’t there.”

Have any of the golf punters on here been stuck behind someone with a pair of binoculars ticking off birds in a book?

Oosterhuis died at 75 so he's worth 50 Base Points for @The DA, with a Solo Shot giving him a total of 100 points.

==========

Second death this week is the writer Paul Auster: Paul Auster, American author of The New York Trilogy, dies aged 77 | Books | The Guardian

Paul Auster, the author of 34 books including the acclaimed New York Trilogy, has died aged 77.

Auster became known for his “highly stylised, quirkily riddlesome postmodernist fiction in which narrators are rarely other than unreliable and the bedrock of plot is continually shifting,” the novelist Joyce Carol Oates wrote in 2010.

His stories often play with themes of coincidence, chance and fate. Many of his protagonists are writers themselves, and his body of work is self-referential, with characters from early novels appearing again in later ones.

The author was born in Newark, New Jersey, in 1947. According to Auster, his writing life began at the age of eight when he missed out on getting an autograph from his baseball hero, Willie Mays, because neither he nor his parents had carried a pencil to the game. From then on, he took a pencil everywhere. “If there’s a pencil in your pocket, there’s a good chance that one day you’ll feel tempted to start using it,” he wrote in a 1995 essay.

I have read one of Paul Auster's books. The one namechecked in that article's title, the New York Trilogy. It's a collection of three stories, ostensibly detective fiction but also extremely postmodern, with the reader quickly going from wondering what's happened to wondering just about everything else - who is this, where are they, can I trust anything that's being said? I read this book when I was in third year at university. I read it again a few years ago having forgot pretty much everything except the basic premise and I was taken aback at how much it resonated with me. 

My fourth year at university - and the summer prior to that and effectively a full year after that - was spent having a nervous breakdown about various things. Much of it was caused by the weight of realisation of what the literature I was studying was telling me about the world and my own place in it. While other, more consequential texts followed the New York Trilogy and contributed to this period, upon reflection years later it was easy to see how relatable I found it at the time, even if I couldn't see it at the time.

When I read it again I made note of some passages which stood out to me. One of these is going to be the lead quote to next year's thread, but I'll share another here since it fits well with the Dead Pool:

These moments came less often now, and for the most part it seemed as though things had begun to change for him. He no longer wished to be dead. At the same time, it cannot be said that he was glad to be alive. But at least he did not resent it. He was alive, and the stubbornness of this fact had little by little begun to fascinate him - as if he had managed to outlive himself, as if he were somehow living a posthumous life. He did not sleep with the lamp on anymore, and for many months now he had not remembered any of his dreams.

Auster died at 77 so he's worth 48 Base Points for, er, me. I get a Solo Shot taking that to 98 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. mozam76 402
2. Billy Jean King 380
3. Moomintroll 346
4. psv_killie 335
5. Indale Winton, The DA 328
7. lolls 316
8. Forest_Fifer 297
9. sparky88 291
10. Ned Nederlander 282
11. lichtgilphead 279
12. The_Craig 254
13. pub car king 238
14. JustOneCornetto 225
15. blackislekillie 216
16. The Naitch 213
17. Arch Stanton 207
18. parxyz 206
19. cdhafc1874 204
20. Oystercatcher 198
21. Bully Wee Villa 194
22. weirdcal 191
23. Melanius Mullarkant 176

24. amnarab 169
25. El Guapo, mathematics 164

27. Salvo Montalbano 163
28. TxRover 157
29. alta-pete 156
30. choirbairn, Desp, peasy23 150
33. tamthebam 144
34. Savage Henry 134
35. Arbroathlegend36-0 126
36. Lofarl, qos_75 119
38. Arabdownunder 117

39. buddiepaul, chomp my root, scottsdad, Trogdor 113
43. sleazy, Sweaty Morph 100
45. Miguel Sanchez 98
46. Craig fae the Vale 95

47. ThomCat 94
48. pawpar 90
49. invergowrie arab, Karpaty Lviv, Ray Patterson 78
52. DG.Roma, Mark Connolly, sensorsoupe, Sergeant Wilson, Shotgun 75
57. ICTChris 74
58. D Angelo Barksdale 71
59. Raidernation 60

60. Florentine_Pogen 58
61. Aim Here, Darren 51

63. BillyAnchor, doulikefish 49
65. Enigma, LoonsYouthTeam 44
67. stanton 25

68. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

IMG_9704.jpeg.54c300942c55bb7e7e2f591715b3b296.jpeg

Wonder if Souness will be at the funeral?

Incredibly powerful drama documenting the issues facing working class families in the Thatcher era.

Worth a rewatch.

What an absolute icon his Yosser character was. You Poncey Benedict and Redmayne take note, while you win the luvvy awards, there were real actors around that pissed all over your “talent”.

According to Tim Vickery, Cesar Menotti has smoked his last cigarette. The 1978 World Cup is the first one I remember watching and his Argentina team were brilliant. Such a shame. Anyway, I have him in my pool, so hopefully the news will be confirmed by recognised sources soon ...

1 hour ago, tinkerbelle said:

What an absolute icon his Yosser character was. You Poncey Benedict and Redmayne take note, while you win the luvvy awards, there were real actors around that pissed all over your “talent”.

Yosser to sympathetic priest: "I'm desperate, Father."

Sympathetic priest: "Call me Dan."

Yosser to sympathetic priest: "I'm desperate, Dan."

The reporting of Bernard Hill's death on 5Live earlier has infuriated me.

"Lord of the Rings and Titanic actor Bernard Hill has died."

And then eventually they mentioned Boys from the Black Stuff

10 minutes ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Jim Rodger, one of the last remaining players from St .Mirren's 1959 Scottish Cup winning team has died, aged 90

Rodger? Over and out.

3 hours ago, choirbairn said:

According to Tim Vickery, Cesar Menotti has smoked his last cigarette. The 1978 World Cup is the first one I remember watching and his Argentina team were brilliant. Such a shame. Anyway, I have him in my pool, so hopefully the news will be confirmed by recognised sources soon ...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/05/world-cup-winning-argentina-coach-cesar-luis-menotti-dies-aged-85

14 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The reporting of Bernard Hill's death on 5Live earlier has infuriated me.

"Lord of the Rings and Titanic actor Bernard Hill has died."

And then eventually they mentioned Boys from the Black Stuff

Don't forget Restless Natives, great wee film.