Do you say ken?

RawB93

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Every now and then P&B’s jealousy of the north east of Scotland rears its ugly head. 

I should be flattered and pleased, but honestly it just makes me sad. 

Those of us unfortunate enough to reside in the land of Celtic, Rangers, Radio Clyde Super scoreboard, secterian marches and newsreaders who pronounce December like it has a 'Z' in it, have a lot to be jealous about. 

The NE has a fascination with male names, often heard rurally for something or someone being elsewhere in the house is 'it's ben the hoose'

The NE is full of Bens and Kens and their use is infectious. I'm west coast but been in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire many years and it creeps into your brain and your language. Accept the doric as the future ma quines and loons.

I don't say "ken", it's not really something Invernessians would say.

My mum is from Shetland and she goes back to speaking Shetland dialect when she's talking to her family and they all say "ken".  I think that the Shetland dialect is a form of Scots.

I moved to Cumbernauld from Houston in Renfrewshire eighteen years ago, due to getting a job in Falkirk. It actually allowed me to accurately find and mark Scotland’s ‘ken line’. It is the Castlecary Arches across the motorway just north of Cumbernauld. Falkirk is only eight miles from me, but as soon as you pass underneath those arches, the accents change, weans become bairns, and everyone kens some bloke called ken. I’m convinced that the last CITRAC signs on the motorway before Castlecary Arches shouldn’t say ‘belt up in the back’, or ‘is your car ready for winter’ etc. They should say ‘warning, heavy ken ye’ ken for ten miles’.

’Ken’ is one thing mind you, Fcuk me if I didn’t think ‘Camelon’ was pronounced ‘Cam-eh-lon’… until I was put in my place. ‘Kame-lon’, or something. Apparently. I think I insulted a whole nation… ye’ ken?

8 hours ago, velo army said:

In the non weegie parts of Lanarkshire (Strathaven, Kurkmuirhill, Lesmahagow, Larkhall etc) they say both ken and bairn. 

Doric is magnificent by the way.

I'm from Strathaven and can confirm this is incorrect.

Grew up here, went to school here, live here, and I don't know anyone from here that uses the word ken.

Maybe people who have moved here from Ayrshire?

Edited by DoingThe42

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Ken is a great word, but folk who end sentences with "ken?" are fae Fife.

I'm from Fife (originally) but I'm not Fay Fife. This is Fay Fife.

image.png.cb310110eaec239fb0ecf2bbf4c9ff81.png

Also, the word ken is used in the North of England, ken.

D'ye ken John Peel (song) - Wikipedia

My Mum and Dad used to love The Spinners.

Obviously nothing to do with 'that' John Peel.

And I have to include the obligatory HMHB reference, ken.

Edited by Suspect Device

1 hour ago, DoingThe42 said:

I'm from Strathaven and can confirm this is incorrect.

Grew up here, went to school here, live here, and I don't know anyone from here that uses the word ken.

Maybe people who have moved here from Ayrshire?

I played for the rugby club which was choc full of local farmers. 

I daresay the town of Strathaven has become weegified as it embraces it's future as a suburb of East Kilbride, but the bucolic surroundings are the ken-belt, for sure.

Scotland’s ken line (heading North from Glasgow) is definitely the Castlecary Arches Feck’ knows where the salt & vinegar to salt & sauce line is though. Pretty sure it’s guarded by North Korean troops, and anyone trying to escape is shot - or pelted with pickled onions from a big jar if you’re a first offender. I’ve said this before, but I’d like to take a road trip across the approximate route of the Glasgow to Edinburgh M8, stop for chips in every town. See when I first get sauce. My money is on Livingston, or Bathgate. Once I find out, I fully expect the chippy / chipper (fcuk me, Scotland, eh?) to erect a sign saying ‘last petrol vinegar for one hundred miles’. Going to be my New Year resolution.

Edited by pozbaird

47 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ken has it's roots in ancient Norse language I believe,

When I lived in Sweden I noticed a lot of Scots stuff there. 

Bra (pronounced braw) meant good.

Och meant and. 

Hus (pronounced hoose) meant house.

There were others but I've forgotten them. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

When I lived in Sweden I noticed a lot of Scots stuff there. 

Bra (pronounced braw) meant good.

Och meant and. 

Hus (pronounced hoose) meant house.

There were others but I've forgotten them. 

I've picked all that up from the Nordic dramas we watch. My favourite is definitely braw.