Places in Scotland you've never been to

1 minute ago, highlandmac said:

The A9 from thurso south is good too,spectacular views across the flow country to mountains beyond.it means missing John o groats,no one's life will ever be bereft because of that

Strictly speaking it Jan de Groot, a Dutchman.  Why anyone needs to see him - I do not know.

I'm quite well travelled across the mainland except the borders areas. I've been to all the towns/cities in the top 20 population.

I only Scottish island I've been on is Skye.

In the last 2 years I've made it to more places in Scotland since my eldest has taken up Highland Dancing. Those competitions take you to some lovely places... 

Places never been to with either a reasonable population or pretty distinct part of the mainland:

Glenrothes (why bother)

Hawick 

Peebles

Duns (Haddington too I guess but this is where I draw the irrelevance line)

Crieff

Aboyne/Ballater/general Cairngorm-Grampian highlands

Ullapool (the one I really want to make good next year). 

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, highlandmac said:

In Elgin,some of the most bizarre statuary you're likely to see-theres a monstrosity in the centre called the dandylion which is too dreadful to describe.off a roundabout on the western side of the centre there a statue of a guy with a sword,turns out this is "the wolf of badenoch",a guy that burned Elgin to the ground(bravo,sir)in days of yore so they must have been pretty desperate for someone to represent in bronze;it'd be like Warsaw having a statue of Hitler 

They lost their marbles

22 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There is some football in the Borders..

...Langholm. Went here once. It's miles from anywhere. There is a monument to Hugh McDiarmid on the hill which is worth a look. 

Langholm is in Dumfries and Galloway.  

It very much has a Borders feel though, in the same way that Sanquhar feels like it's in Ayrshire but is also in Dumfries and Galloway.

12 hours ago, virginton said:

Places never been to with either a reasonable population or pretty distinct part of the mainland:

Glenrothes (why bother)

Hawick 

Peebles

Crieff

try and make sure you do ullapool outwith midge season,theyre pretty horrible when theyre out

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Glenrothes is nowhere near as bad as i thought it would be - looks like it has some fairly nice parts to it. Much nicer than kirkcaldy.

Haddington is a nice big town that’s probably doubled in size in the last 10 years with all the new builds. it doesn’t have a train station so i wouldn’t call it a commuter town and it had a very awkwardly accessible tesco. I can’t think of any attraction to the town though or any sort of amenity that makes it worth visiting.

Ullapool is nice enough, full of teuchters and fishermen. A bit like Portree but less scummy.

Pencaitland is just a few houses and a filling station a few miles out of Haddington, can’t see any reason why you’d visit.

Haddington- visit for the Tyneside Tavern. Lovely pint. 

Pencaitland has a nice railway walk. 

14 hours ago, virginton said:

Glenrothes (why bother)

Hawick 

Peebles

Crieff

I've been to Ullapool several times now, and things have changed so much since the first time I was there 30 odd years ago. Then there was nothing open on a Sunday, with only a van that came from Inverness to sell papers and rolls about 10am. It was like something from a zombie movie with people appearing out of nowhere when the van appeared. It's still a great place to spend a few days.

11 hours ago, throbber said:

Ullapool is nice enough, full of teuchters and fishermen. A bit like Portree but less scummy.

Ullapool and Portree are both Tommy Telford towns and do is Tobermory.

Historically Ullapool was the largest town in Cromartyshire.

On 16/12/2023 at 06:42, highlandmac said:

,turns out this is "the wolf of badenoch",a guy that burned Elgin to the ground(bravo,sir)in days of yore so they must have been pretty desperate for someone to represent in bronze;it'd be like Warsaw having a statue of Hitler 

To be fair, he had flattened Forres a couple of months earlier so it’s probably in celebration of that.

Mon ‘eh Wolf.

I want to go to Strathaven, Carluke and Lanark at some point as that will "complete" greater Glasgow for me. The kind of places towards the end of the line that you'd only tend to go to for a specific reason like if you have family or some random event on there. I've been to Larkhall, but that's as close as I've got.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I want to go to Strathaven, Carluke and Lanark at some point as that will "complete" greater Glasgow for me. The kind of places towards the end of the line that you'd only tend to go to for a specific reason like if you have family or some random event on there. I've been to Larkhall, but that's as close as I've got.

Given the gap between the city limits of Glasgow and Strathaven I can't see that being part of Greater Glasgow. I reckon Carluke and especially Lanark are too far away also.

Carluke is Larkhall without the notoriety, but it is alarmingly staunch. 

5 minutes ago, velo army said:

Given the gap between the city limits of Glasgow and Strathaven I can't see that being part of Greater Glasgow. I reckon Carluke and especially Lanark are too far away also.

Carluke is Larkhall without the notoriety, but it is alarmingly staunch. 

Well, it's a technicality really. Those locations are within touching distance of the Greater Glasgow boundary even if it's technically not within the line. The staunchness doesn't scare me. I always make sure I bring pepper pray and my shotgun if I'm in Bear country. 

On 16/12/2023 at 11:26, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

A seagull painted me with poo last time I was in Golspie. Whole bag of chips from the Trawler in the bin. I’m not bitter. 

Largs seagulls have nothing on them!