Places in Scotland you've never been to

I want to go to Strathaven, Carluke and Lanark at some point as that will "complete" greater Glasgow for me. The kind of places towards the end of the line that you'd only tend to go to for a specific reason like if you have family or some random event on there. I've been to Larkhall, but that's as close as I've got.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I want to go to Strathaven, Carluke and Lanark at some point as that will "complete" greater Glasgow for me. The kind of places towards the end of the line that you'd only tend to go to for a specific reason like if you have family or some random event on there. I've been to Larkhall, but that's as close as I've got.

Given the gap between the city limits of Glasgow and Strathaven I can't see that being part of Greater Glasgow. I reckon Carluke and especially Lanark are too far away also.

Carluke is Larkhall without the notoriety, but it is alarmingly staunch. 

5 minutes ago, velo army said:

Given the gap between the city limits of Glasgow and Strathaven I can't see that being part of Greater Glasgow. I reckon Carluke and especially Lanark are too far away also.

Carluke is Larkhall without the notoriety, but it is alarmingly staunch. 

Well, it's a technicality really. Those locations are within touching distance of the Greater Glasgow boundary even if it's technically not within the line. The staunchness doesn't scare me. I always make sure I bring pepper pray and my shotgun if I'm in Bear country. 

On 16/12/2023 at 11:26, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

A seagull painted me with poo last time I was in Golspie. Whole bag of chips from the Trawler in the bin. I’m not bitter. 

Largs seagulls have nothing on them!

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I went to Lanark for the first time last month - you can walk (or get a bus) to New Lanark and the Falls of Clyde path from there. Didn't spend too much time in the town itself due to other commitments but the chippy next to the train station does a battered slice supper.

9/10, would recommend for the slice supper alone. 

9 hours ago, throbber said:

it looks like a nice pub tbf. It’s still a pub though. Does Haddington have any sort of attraction other than a pub? Dunbar has a beach and a garden centre, North Berwick is very visitor friendly as well and neither are as big as Haddington. It strikes me as a nice place to live but not an interesting place to visit.

Not been on the railway walk at Pencaitland, i’m sure it’s nice.

As this is a football forum it does have Millfield and you get a decent pie there. Apart from that you can walk along the Tyne to East Linton and you go past a castle... 

hdbr3.thumb.jpg.29ed8ae5a84c3fca38d7337635a4a4ed.jpg

e36.thumb.jpg.24200913fa1e27a4c6287ba265dc1e5f.jpg

Yellow wagtail on the Tyne at Hadyingtong. 

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

4 hours ago, virginton said:

I went to Lanark for the first time last month - you can walk (or get a bus) to New Lanark and the Falls of Clyde path from there. Didn't spend too much time in the town itself due to other commitments but the chippy next to the train station does a battered slice supper.

9/10, would recommend for the slice supper alone. 

+1

Lanark is alright. Full of animatronic dinosaur sculptures. New Lanark is class and well worth the visit. Did the museum tour which was decent but the wander down the Clyde and climbing about the rocks seeing the falls and exploring the woodland was the best bit. Also had a very decent chippy on the platform waiting for the train home. A pretty ideal day-trip location IMO

On 15/12/2023 at 10:29, RawB93 said:

giphy.gif

Reveal hidden contents

I could be totally wrong but I've always seen it like this

image.png.3d62446d4bfd954c9de481a5e3469188.png

I'm not actually comfortable with the idea of Scotland having a South coast, tbh. Which reminds me I actually got into an argument with someone at a party who said Dundee was on the South coast :lol: 

We built a bridge and got the hell over it.

Was just in the process of doing the same thing. Kilmarnock looks alright and I would like to visit but it's just not on the way to anywhere and not worth the trek, for me.

image.thumb.png.98c5eba73ee09e63077f1a827fece078.png

Apparently Edinburgh Castle is Scotland's most visited place. 

Never been.

Due to a combination of Motherwell away games, work and cycling (for some of the more local on the list), I've been to all of those on that list but, as someone mentioned, some of the figures seem rather on date. I'm also confused by the complete omission of Coatbridge which I thought would be mid-ranking.

On 15/12/2023 at 10:00, ICTChris said:

East Kilbride for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_Scotland_by_population

Places on that list I've never been

East Kilbride

Glenrothes

Wishaw

Newton Mearns

Clydebank

Renfrew

Bishopbriggs

Arbroath

Kirkintilloch

Dumbarton

Bellshill

Peterhead

Barrhead

Killwinning

Johnstone

Viewpark

Larkhall

Erskine

On that list, the only place I've not been to is Peterhead - am I missing much?

Generally, I've not seen much of the northwest of Scotland other than a trip up the A9 to Thurso many moons ago and a visit to Gairloch for a wedding and I've not visited many of the Borders towns like Melrose and Hawick. 

I need to get myself up to Dingwall for a game at County some day but I'm not bothered about many of the others.

My (sort of) uncle was governor there for a while. I took my grandparents to his funeral as my parents were on holiday but it was in Aberdeen so didn'tmake it to Peterhead. We stopped in Airdrie on the way back and my gran stopped Alex  Salmond (he was canvassing for a by-election) and asked him if he knew any good tearooms. I didn't know where to look.

10 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

My (sort of) uncle was governor there for a while. I took my grandparents to his funeral as my parents were on holiday but it was in Aberdeen so didn'tmake it to Peterhead. We stopped in Airdrie on the way back and my gran stopped Alex  Salmond (he was canvassing for a by-election) and asked him if he knew any good tearooms. I didn't know where to look.

I don't think there is any, do cafés count?

Peterhead is a bit of a dive. Constant waft of shitd due to Scottish Water sites which the locals must be accustomed to because every other site I go to has been pushed to get timers on doors to stop the smell escaping due to locals complaining. 

Not ashamed to say that my wife and I did the NC500 just after lockdown, our honeymoon abroad was cancelled and it gave us the opportunity to see parts of Scotland we wouldn't otherwise see. We had done plenty breaks up North and Western isles but nothing as far up North as that. We were respectful everywhere we visited, paid our way for hotel rooms and putting money in to the towns/villages that should benefit from stuff like that. As it was just after lockdown it wasn't too busy but we still got frustrated by the amount of clowns that were driving campervans on roads they shouldn't have been driven on. 

Torridon was absolutely beautiful, the best drive I've had in Scotland and better than Glencoe in my opinion. If you haven't been, then go.  

By the time we got to Applecross and settled in to our b&b we got talking to locals in the pub who were roundly pissed off at people coming and chopping down trees to burn for them camping over night. There were a few more examples of things like that over the course of the trip. 

Someone mentioned St Kilda earlier and that's somewhere I'd like to go, there was a BBC article about the last people that lived on the island and their story before they were evacuated...interesting read. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53782411

Edited by Pens_Dark