Gen Z “suffering menu anxiety at restaurants”

ICTChris

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Then a few years ago the trend of having salted caramel in every fucking dessert kicked off. 

... and the rapid disappearance of custard from the options.

"is that with cream or ice cream?"

"Erm, crumble comes with custard, so I'll have custard"

"We don't have custard"

"What sort of self-respecting establishment serving puddings doesn't have custard?!"

All those pesky chains like Greene King, that's who, sadly meaning most places these days. 

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

... and the rapid disappearance of custard from the options.

"is that with cream or ice cream?"

"Erm, crumble comes with custard, so I'll have custard"

"We don't have custard"

"What sort of self-respecting establishment serving puddings doesn't have custard?!"

All those pesky chains like Greene King, that's who, sadly meaning most places these days. 

Custard is the accompaniment of kings.

Ice cream is for fucking losers. Cream is for people stuck in a pre-WW2 fantasy world.

18 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Bubble Tea seems to be the new fad. All those ice cream parlours are shutting down and re-opening as bubble tea places

The bairns seem to absolutely love that shite too. Sugary sweet with big massive bits in it. Baffling.

25 minutes ago, velo army said:

The bairns seem to absolutely love that shite too. Sugary sweet with big massive bits in it. Baffling.

Mine absolutely hounded me to take them for it, so I did. They said they loved it, then, once 25% of the way through it both "teas" were handed over to me. It was utterly bowfing and so we won't be back. 

5 hours ago, Desp said:

It's certainly more of a thing than it was a few years ago, certainly in restaurants.  I don't actually mind sweet potato, tbf.

It's probably just the latest in these daft phases.  Remember about a decade ago pulled pork was all the rage?  Then a few years ago the trend of having salted caramel in every fucking dessert kicked off. 

Salted fucking caramel is in everything sweet these days 

I happily spent decades rotting my teeth with ordinary sweet caramel, some hipster twat decides to stick salt in it, and then everything has to be fucking salted caramel which I don't particularly care for.

Tried bubble tea for the first time this year, courtesy of my thirteen year old neice, who, unlike me, knows all about it… I thought it was great. Weird sensation, eating the squidgy jelly-like bubble things, but by the end of it, this auld duffer was a convert. Needs to be a nice warm day to enjoy it, so, roll on summer. 😎

On 20/12/2023 at 10:08, pozbaird said:

The menus I have anxiety with are the McDonalds electronic board menus. One - I’ve seen the snottery nosed school kids prodding at them in front of me. Two - they are sluggish and unresponsive to prodding. Three - they are badly laid out. 

Use the app. I'm amazed more people don't.

On 20/12/2023 at 19:26, Deanburn Dave said:

In an italian restaurant I ordered from the menu a couple of fancy sounding  Italian dishes flawlessly......and then fecked  my reputation by saying at the end of the order "gracias".

Oh the shame.

I wouldn't say I get anxious about this, but any time i'm in that Bavaria Brauhaus I find myself in a bit of a quandary when it comes to ordering say a Löwenbräu

Pronounce it correctly and there's a chance that A the server will be confused or B think that i'm a bit of a dick; pronounce it wrongly and I avoid both A and B but just get annoyed at myself for bottling correctly pronouncing a German beer in a German themed bar.

On 19/12/2023 at 13:37, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I am one of those ND c***s, now I am the probably the furthest from a fussy eater you will get, But nevertheless  there are certain combinations I don't like, but it's not an issue much now that I'm an adult in my 30's but things like beans touching the rest of my breakfast could make me lose my appetite completely when I was wee.  I still sometimes do this weird thing of eating all the items on a plate in order rather than a bite of this n that, varies from day to day. 

If I’m ever eating Magic Stars I like to sort them out into the individual faces, count them and then eat each group from highest to lowest.

Work in a pub and at some point last week when it was absolutely heaving I asked a young guy if he’d been served and he said “no” and nothing more. Had to make a gesture and asked him what the f**k he wanted, didn’t seem to grasp that standing at a mobbed bar usually means you’re ordering a drink. The weans are also really bad these days for ordering individually instead of in rounds, just order all your drinks at once rather than all separately asking for a “VBL”.