Lewis Ferguson

Bing.McCrosby

16 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Our midfield options are actually ridiculous right now

It's a shame we can't play them all.

Trying to pick 4 from Christie, Ferguson, McGregor, McGinn, Mctominay and Gilmour is a selection headache and a half.

I think the Midfield will be McGregor and Gilmour in the deeper role. Christie tends to play in a more forward role but is apparently playing in a deeper role for Bournemouth and is getting a lot of praise, can't see Clarke considering him for this role though especially with McLean as an option. 

McGinn and McTominay will get the more forward roles, Fergusons club form makes a strong case for him to be next in line but I feel Clarke is very loyal and I think he will have Armstrong and Christie slightly in front of him. Maybe after the Euros he will look to Ferguson more.

For any match it's about selecting players with the characteristics we'll need to suit any individual game. It'll also depend on the context: so who's available, how we intend to suppress the oppositions strengths and the fixture schedule etc.

Spoiler

We have midfielders who are good:

• Technically (McGregor, Gilmour)
  • Physically (Ferguson, McGinn, McTominay) 
  • Aerially (McLean, McTominay) 
  • At carrying the ball upfield. (Armstrong, Christie, McGinn)

For example, If we intend to play direct and physical via our right side we might play Ferguson, McGinn or McTominay and the build our play technically on the left using McGregor or Gilmour and Armstrong or Christie. If we need players who will press well and counter attack well then Ryan Christie shoots to the top of the list. It's horses for course - always has been.

In Ferguson's case we have his strengths through McTominay and McGinn. That's why it's been hard for him to break into the team even when we need a player with his skillset. He's competing for Scotland's strongest position on the pitch after left-back. He must either out-compete his competition, wait for it to decline or find another route into the team.

At the moment I don't think he is better than McGinn and McTominay on the right; Armstrong, McGinn and Christie on the left or Gilmour and McTominay in the deeper role - given the different requirements in those areas. It's a tough one for him, like it's tough for Doig or Taylor to get into the left-back area. Does he warrant the team being built around him like Clarke did with the Tierney/Robertson dilemma? Maybe the team as a whole will be restructured during the Nations League and he'll benefit from that.

Edited by 2426255

I think a good example of how Ferguson fitted and showed his technical, attacking game might be in the 2nd half against Georgia. Prior to that we've seen more of him defensively: protecting the flank etc. Ferguson, McGinn and McTominay played the full half. IIRC, Fergie was in a central role behind the striker. I haven't really looked at the November games in any detail though.

The caveat being neither Tierney or Robbo were available, which probably made that possible while Gilmour came off at half-time. If that's what you must give up to get him in it's no worth it. It seems clear enough why he doesn't play all that much.

Alternatively, if you wanted a heavy handed approach play McGinn off the left, Fergie off the right and Dykes through the middle with McSauce and McLean deeper and do the whole long throw & play percentage football - see what sticks.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

We have plenty of options in that regard!

I reckon Christie's still first choice but no one has as good a record as Ferguson. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I think a good example of how Ferguson fitted and showed his technical, attacking game might be in the 2nd half against Georgia. Prior to that we've seen more of him defensively: protecting the flank etc.

Ferguson, McGinn and McTominay played the full half. IIRC, Fergie was in a central role behind the striker. I haven't really looked at the November games in any detail though.

The caveat being neither Tierney or Robbo were available, which probably made that possible while Gilmour came off at half-time.

If that's what you must give up to get him in it's no worth it. It seems clear enough why he doesn't play all that much.

Alternatively, if you wanted a heavy handed approach play McGinn off the left, Fergie off the right and Dykes through the middle with McSauce and McLean deeper and do the whole long throw & play percentage football and see what sticks.

I thought he did well against Georgia, but it could have been that I was swayed by enjoying him carry over what I'd seen for Bologna (on the tele) into a Scotland game (irl). 

Edited by accies1874

On 15/02/2024 at 15:28, MarkoRaj said:

Our midfield options are actually ridiculous right now

It's a shame we can't play them all.

Trying to pick 4 from Christie, Ferguson, McGregor, McGinn, Mctominay and Gilmour is a selection headache and a half.

This year we will add Ben Doak and Harvey Barnes to our senior squad you would think to have decent winger options as well.

Edited by Quentin Taranbino

6 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Didn't see any of the game but see that Bologna won 2-1 away to Lazio.....four wins in a row and level on points with Atalanta who are in fourth and Champions League place.

If they make chumpions league wonder if may stay put

He's captaining a good side every week and is playing under a promising manager who loves him. 

I hope he sticks around, but I'm sure he'll back himself to succeed at a bigger club, plus there's a decent chance that Motta will leave at the end of the season. Champions League football could tempt both of them to stay though. 

Bologna now up to fourth (and Chumps League spot) after a win last night v Verona (five in a row)  Saw the highlights and see Ferguson is still captain - seems to have this on a permanent basis - I am sure someone said earlier that Motta was rotating the captancy.  They are playing well and getting full houses....what a great move Lewis made.

On 24/02/2024 at 14:56, Caledonian1 said:

Bologna now up to fourth (and Chumps League spot) after a win last night v Verona (five in a row)  Saw the highlights and see Ferguson is still captain - seems to have this on a permanent basis - I am sure someone said earlier that Motta was rotating the captancy.  They are playing well and getting full houses....what a great move Lewis made.

Sassuolo are doing quite badly. Not sure if Doig has been good or bad - but both show how much of a randomiser moving clubs can be.

On 16/02/2024 at 13:07, accies1874 said:

One thing we should all agree on is that he should be our penalty taker if on the park. 

On 16/02/2024 at 14:54, MarkoRaj said:

We have plenty of options in that regard!

I think it could be better to rotate penalty takers anyway. Say our 5 best are designated takers in any given camp. Makes it harder for opposition analysis and maybe helpful on the odd occasion we have a shootout.

Maybe that's something that wouldn't work out in practice and it leaves you open to the 'trying to be too clever'/overfinkin' it allegation.

Edited by 2426255

5 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Bologna currently 1-0 down in the big game v Atalanta...approaching half time (on TNT Sports)

I turned over to watch and immediately Atalanta scored. I turned it back again because I’d like Bologna to win 🤣