Coaching Carousel 2024

lichtie23

On 26/01/2024 at 05:36, Antiochas III said:

Ben Johnson is the new HC of Commanders.  It's been agreed for at least a week.  

Belichick wasn't even on our shortlist.  Didn't even get a virtual interview 

Vrabel seems like the obvious fit there from a continuity perspective. One obnoxious p***k with a Defensive background replacing another. God knows what the Commanders do though. Promote Bieniemy seems obvious, but I think there must be a reason why he's been interviewing for HC positions for 2-3 years and getting nothing. Both Ravens Co-ords were getting interviews so they are free to do whatever now.

I suppose the Vrabel statement also applies to BB. A couple of Chargers "ITK" types have said the Spanos had Vrabel pencilled in as 2nd choice had things with Harbaugh fallen through, which IMO is all the proof required that this "Spanos is finally competent" narrative is crap. I don't rate Vrabel and think he's all mooth and nae troosers.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Mike MacDonald feels like the new “he’s got his pick of both jobs” guy now that Ben Johnson is out of the running.

Neither Washington or Seattle are a good fit for Belichick because he wants all the control and they’ve both got their own GMs in place. That seems to be why the Atlanta deal fell through - because the Falcons were unwilling to move on from their own guys, even for Bill. Schneider is going nowhere in Seattle, and Wash have just hired Peters so aren’t going to undermine him already.

I’d guess it’ll be MacDonald to the Seahawks, but I actually have no idea what the Commanders do now. They really need to hire an offensive mind to pair with the new QB they’ll be drafting, but they’re running out of options. Bienemy would be an incredibly meh hire that doesn’t fit the new “culture” direction they’re trying to take, so I’d be very surprised if it was him.

7 hours ago, Swarley said:

I've always thought it'll be Quinn for Seattle. I still do. 

Quinn’s reputation took a big hit with that Cowboys defensive capitulation in the playoffs.

Mike MacDonald has been great all year. This feels like a really good fit imo.

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Dan Quinn to the Commanders confirmed.

Shades of when the Chargers fired Marty in February and ended up with the HC'ing dregs in Norv Turner. 

Doesn't really say much for them if they had really pinned all their hopes on Ben Johnson with no real contingency. If they really, really wanted DQ, they could have hired him at least two weeks ago. FWIW Mark Schlereth said Johnson told him weeks back the Chargers job was the only one he'd have seriously considered leaving Detroit for, so I can't imagine the Commanders wouldn't have picked up on the reticence in the interviews. You have to hope your guy bites the bullet I suppose, but it does feel very much like they've been left with egg on their chin, especially so when they were able to grab probably the hottest GM candidate early-doors.

59 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I wonder if belichick fancies being DC at the Giants for old times sake

It's going to be hilarious come the 2024 regular season, because if BB is still unemployed and doesn't have a cast-iron TV gig, some owner with an itchy trigger-finger will punt their HC at the drop of a hat. Can't see BB just taking the first job that comes up regardless, but I doubt that will stop hot-seats becoming extra-hot, extra-early.

Jim Harbaugh getting the band back together in LA.

They are also having a Minter in the DC role. Literally, as they are appointing Jesse Minter from Michigan, who previously worked with John Harbaugh in Baltimore.