Morton v. Thistle 13th January

Because I can't conceive of a world where this Morton side go 8 unbeaten I think we'll win.

But I also don't think 3 out of 3 v. the Ton is statistically likely either.

So...draw?

Hrhm. I'd back Aero to handle Oakley (could bite my arse if he gets red carded for elbowing him stupidly in the first half or something tbf but he dealt well with, say, Akinyemi in the playoff last year) but I'm a bit concerned, Dundee Utd have pressed us to death this season and going by the match thread Morton were able to do much the same to Utd in their win the day.

Fitzpatrick down the left + Lawless/McMillan on the right should carry enough attacking threat, dont think Lawless/McMillan have been as effective recently but they were excellent against Morton in the 2-1 game earlier iirc. If he plays then running at Broadfoot *should* get us a fair bit of joy. On the other side Robbie Muirhead banging one in against us from 25 yards is always a worry...

Edit: might have been the 4-1 game come to think of it

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I'll take a draw in my head. Morton back on form, players coming back 

I fear our ghost-like midfield against teams who have players in there.

Overall though, I think we can get the 3 points.

No easy task though, as we were the last team to hand a defeat to Morton.

24 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

A draw means we go 8 unbeaten, Einstein…

I realise a draw is not a defeat - it just means having to think the unthinkable.

I don't fancy us here at all tbh. We did well today against a shite opposition but have no real momentum and a very soft midfield. Greenock will be right up for it and are on a great run. Would be delighted with a point. Bonus if BBG gets a goal and causes a stooshie of some kind. 

32 minutes ago, 9queens said:

I realise a draw is not a defeat - it just means having to think the unthinkable.

Morton went 11 league games without defeat last year, though funnily enough that streak was bookended by defeats to Partick.

1 hour ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Would settle for a draw here to maintain the 10 point gap. Will be a tough game though, there's a great feeling at Cappielow at the moment. 

Think we’d also settle for a draw: ‘great feelings’ have a habit of turning sour pretty quickly.

That said, I might be tempted to wager a modest sum on 2-1 to us. Keeping Fitzpatrick and Lawless quiet and stopping your full-backs getting too far forward probably the key.

11 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Think we’d also settle for a draw: ‘great feelings’ have a habit of turning sour pretty quickly.

That said, I might be tempted to wager a modest sum on 2-1 to us. Keeping Fitzpatrick and Lawless quiet and stopping your full-backs getting too far forward probably the key.

Aye ,should be an interesting Battle Royale on your left with the Olympian Broadfoot and Wee Stevie 😆.I have no doubt BBBG will also figure large in this encounter 👿.

Edited by I Clavdivs

Thought the 1-4 was a tad harsh on us at the time but Partick took their chances, we never! I'm expecting a much closer affair this time around.

If we have any aspirations of catching Partick, we need to win this. They will be encouraged by yesterday's results and feel a run could get them closer to the top 2.

We should have a full squad to choose from for the first time this season, although not sure where Mcdonald has been the last few weeks but Mullen is clear number 1 anyway.

Expect us to line up

Mullen 

French Baird Broadfoot Strapp

Wilson Power

Blues     Crawford     Muirhead 

Oakley

Bench- Murdoch, O'connor, Waters, Gillespie, Boyd, McGrattan, Bearne, Quitongo, Garrity.

Gillespie could replace Power possibly.

Looking forward to this. Team will be absolutely buzzing with the run so should go into this full of confidence. Should be a good crowd too, expect Partick will bring 7-800 down so hopefully 3k+

3-2. Oakley, Muirhead, Crawford. Of course Graham will score too.

Potential for this to be a great game of football. I'm really looking forward to it!

All players should be back from injury for this one plus of course our two loanees Garrity and King. Quite incredibly we'll have a full squad to choose from and will have real options on the bench - oh my days!

Absolute nothing to fear and with our forwards bang on form there will be goals in this game for sure. 

I fancy our chances and I can see another win for Morton.   

1 hour ago, madton said:

Thought the 1-4 was a tad harsh on us at the time but Partick took their chances, we never! I'm expecting a much closer affair this time around.

If we have any aspirations of catching Partick, we need to win this. They will be encouraged by yesterday's results and feel a run could get them closer to the top 2.

Surely your first ambition should be to catch 4th placed Airdrie, who you’re 2 points off with a game in hand? 

Quite a turnaround for the Ton in recent weeks, and in the spirit of the football clichés that no one likes, I expect “they’ll be right up for this”. Would probably take a draw, although another win would be great, likely to be a tight encounter like the match at Firhill.