Morton v. Thistle 13th January

15 minutes ago, Morton Supporter said:

Probably should have won that one, but on a day where you have a mentalist refereeing the game content to take a point and move on.

Best username of anyone on here. No cryptic pish or reference to obscure Argentinian films or any such pish

Well that was entertaining. Thought we were the better team 1st half and played some good football. I thought we were lucky not to concede a penalty when broadfoot handled the ball in the first half. Partick's keeper kept them in the game with some great saves. Unsure if our disallowed goal was rightly chopped off or not but the linesman put his flag uo very quickly. 

Second half Partick started stronger although we came back into it. Bannigan very lucky not to see red and how Muirhead missed that sitter ill never know. Partick goal was well worked and then they hit the post soon after. Unsure about their penalty claim as I never saw it.

Referee was absolutely stinking throughout for both teams. These games are well known to have a bit of needle and needs a referee who is going to take control and be consistent. He done neither leading to players from both teams trying influence decisions.  Thought the boy Stanway should have been sent off for his foul on Quitongo and what the f**k happened to lead to quitongo lying on the ground and Muirhead in top of him at a corner🤣

39 minutes ago, #Gary said:

The less said about the ref the better. Didn't look fit to referee a schoolboys game yet with a weekend of no Premier League games he gets one of the bigger games of the weekend somehow... I've no idea who he is but he can't be one of our top refs surely.

You're the luckiest person on the forum if this is your first dealing with Craig Napier.

There seemed to be a few demarcation issues with the marking on the edge of the Thistle box, in the first half.  Enjoyed the build up and finish for Ricco"s goal.  Thought the subs all looked good.  Top entertainment from the officials and going home with maybe a point more than I expected.

Think we played well overall but can't complain too much about the draw. Having missed the first 20 minutes with the ridiculous queue, the next 40 minutes was very good from us. Took a deserved lead and had a few good chances to add a second, which even at the time seemed like something we would regret. Even in the first half I didn't fancy our chances of keeping a clean sheet, though clear cut chances for Partick were almost zero. 

The turning point could be identified as the lack of a second yellow for Bannigan, but more accurately it was the Partick subs after that. Our response from the bench was not as effective - the team ran out of energy and to some degree ideas too in the final half hour. Subbing Wilson for Quitongo didn't work but for me we needed to respond with fresh legs elsewhere before the equaliser. 

A point is fine to consolidate after last week's win. Next league game at home to Arbroath has to be targeted as a win to put 10th out of the picture, then Dunfermline away could put us in the box seats for 4th, which would have sounded utterly ridiculous a month ago. 

Edited by vikingTON

Draw a fair point. For once we improved with our subs which were much needed as our midfield was garbage. Was impressed with McBeth, he gives a much needed physical presence but was calm on the ball.

As has been mentioned, referee had no control over the game and just kept giving mental decisions. Bannigan should’ve been off, no question about it but somehow a Morton player got booked for rightly moaning about it. Despite Robbie Muirhead trying to lunge through the back of Milne then later on blooter the ball 60 yards about 3 second after a foul was given yet he escaped a card all game. Fitzpatrick twice gave away a free-kick for the crime of having the shirt almost ripped off him. Some bizarre calls for free-kicks, he just seemed desperate to be centre of attention and was doing some Mike Dean like gestures when blowing for free-kicks. Not 100% sure if Stanway was fouled but it did look like it.

Edited by Reid

58 minutes ago, Scosha said:

A decent game wrecked by yet another howling refereeing performance from Napier (for both sides). 

I've definitely seen much better refereeing displays - although no actually good ones recently - but Napier's decision-making and officiousness didn't have an overall impact on the game. It was always going to end up in a confrontation with both teams trying to get at each other regardless of the referee- there's  clearly no love lost between the two sets of players by now. 

Compare and contrast to the referee for the Queen's Park game who tried his level best to convert his coupon with nonsense red card and penalty decisions. So a poor refereeing performance but not catastrophic, which is where we're left grading them right now. 

Bring back Sir Robert Madden.

4 minutes ago, Reid said:

Fitzpatrick twice gave away a free-kick for the crime of having the shirt almost ripped off him. 

The free kicks were given because he went down, jumped on top of and held the ball with both hands to try and make the decision for the referee. While I think the first one at least was probably a foul, if the referee doesn't award the foul then he should actually have been booked at least once for deliberate handball instead of playing to the whistle. 

Bannigan's first yellow card was a  cheap and lazy shirt pull when Blues was going nowhere, which almost cost his team the game today. While both teams played decent football they were both at it when it comes to stupid fouls and trying to con the referee. 

I really enjoyed that today. Good crowd, decent atmosphere, two sets of fans who hate each other, players who hate each other and a refereeing performance as bad as you’ll see at any level of football.

All in all, a decent days cinching.

Disappointed to just get a point from that. Unlucky not to be more than a goal up at the break but Partick did improve in the second half after being largely anonymous in the first 45.

Ref been well discussed so no need to talk about him (although quite why he never sent Bannigan off ill never know)but looking forward to seeing the pen claims back.

Good to keep the run going, felt we had to win that to catch Partick but its a decent point and a few winnable games coming up to hopefully cement 4th place.

Great crowd, been a long time since we had a 27-2800 home fans, encouraging signs moving forward. 

Edited by madton

45 minutes ago, ptfc. 22 said:

Honestly one of the worst refereeing performance you'll ever see, for both teams that is.

You need to get out more .... plenty more like Napier (and worse!).

Thought the game hinged on two subs - Quitongo's contributions were negligible and in some cases hindered our attacks, whilst Adeloye helped Partick earn a point that they weren't going to get with Graham up front. Well taken goal to equalise, I have to say. No idea how ours went in.

Referee was, as ever, absolutely hopeless.

Unbeaten run continues.

55 minutes ago, virginton said:

The free kicks were given because he went down, jumped on top of and held the ball with both hands to try and make the decision for the referee.

I fucking hate it when players do that. Very disappointing to hear, I hope his mother has a stern word with him tonight.

The only modicum of desire I have to become a ref is to gain the opportunity to second yellow some of those c***s.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

I fucking hate it when players do that. Very disappointing to hear, I hope his mother has a stern word with him tonight.

The only modicum of desire I have to become a ref is to gain the opportunity to second yellow some of those c***s.

I've never quite been able to fathom why anyone would actually want to be " The b*****d in black".

Masochism? 

I was expecting a defeat before the game and even more so at half time, so happy to take the point. 

As mentioned by others, our subs changed the game in our favour. You can credit Doolan for making those changes, but quite why we were starting with such a pedestrian midfield in the first place is beyond me. Alston offered nothing and Stanway and/or McBeth were surely better options to start.

That must have been a world record for the amount of times a whistle has been blown by an attention seeking c**t in a single football match. About 17 consecutive blasts of the whistle are not required to call for a single stoppage ffs.

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

I really enjoyed that today. Good crowd, decent atmosphere, two sets of fans who hate each other, players who hate each other and a refereeing performance as bad as you’ll see at any level of football.

All in all, a decent days cinching.

Speak for yourself, I quite like Partick.