The 2024 NFL Draft

lichtie23

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Think I'm gonna go put the kettle on and see if I can come up with any explanation for drafting a RT at #5 who isn't a RT.

Plenty of opinions on whether or not it was a good use of #5.

On the one hand he was the best OL on the board.

Only 21 years old.

It gives depth to the squad and will be interesting to see if he plays RT. Seems to be a good athlete and has moved from QB (HS) to TE then OT in college. So should have the mentals to switch sides?

He can also boost the run game.

Downside seems to be the WRs that were let go. However there is still talent available in the next round or so.

Interesting call. A little Conservative. Will it work out in the grander scheme? I think it could.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

30 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Aye, slight concern at not being able to get someone in for the O line. 

They were hoping to get up and get Mims but no one was selling.  Not sure they will fix it in round 2 either as I can see them hoping one of Kool-Aid McKinstry or Cooper DeJean drops to 36...  And likely WR with 40 (my guess).  

Still trying to get my head around the Falcons picking a QB. I get the bit about drafting a guy to sit behind an experienced player to make the adjustment from college to NFL, but I can't recall a team doing that when they have just signed the experienced guy for a shit ton of guaranteed cash.

Edited by peasy23

The Falcons' pick is strange as he's so 'old'.

I love the idea of drafting a qb and having him sit behind and older head for a year or 2. takes the pressure of him and lets his acclimatise to the NFL, its worked so well for the Packers (and others i assume) but he's going to be 24 next week and will be 26 before Cousin's deal runs out of money. 

I am sure they could also have traded back and gotten him much later too.

Bo Nix... well we'll see. Payton wanted him so that goes in his favour. I am guessing they thought the Raiders were going to take him as i do think he would have fallen to later in the draft.

The Falcons whenever no one has made a c**t of themselves in a while:IMG_6118.thumb.jpeg.00cf04ff7ad0e591a4e863db81c25b32.jpeg

Unless Terry has seen into the future and Kirk gets run over by a train before September then what are we doing. Zero sense to it

Absolutely hilarious pick from the Falcons, utter head scratcher, no idea what they were thinking.

Penix and Nix are both very good college QBs, but I didn't see either of them as top 10 draft picks. 

Looked to be some laugh last night!

5 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

History tells us that one of Williams, Daniels or Maye is going to be a complete bust.  For all that is holy, please don't let it be Daniels...  

Supposedly Washington tried to get back into the teens, but no one was selling.  

I think you can genuinely make the case for all three of them potentially failing, but if you put a gun to my head and forced me to say who I think might bomb completely, I'd actually say Williams. Again, it's not on talent, I'm just not comfortable with some of his behaviour and the stuff that came out of the circus surrounding him in the past year. Emotional maturity is the concern for me, and since Chicago is one of the worst NFL QB graveyards, my concern is that if things don't start well and then stay hot, then I think there's the potential for him and his entourage to become an off-field clusterfuck and destroy the relationship with the team. It might take a few years, and it probably won't be entirely down to play on the field. They've given him every single chance to succeed in terms of putting capable players around him, doing it the correct way instead of the idiocy down in Carolina, so if he doesn't pan out I think it'll be entirely down to the player himself.

Maye is really rough around the edges, but the reason I think he'll be ok is that he actually makes the difficult throws, which is a sign that he can be worked on and developed, and the occasional sloppiness tidied up. His footwork lets him down and he doesn't set properly, but unless he's a moron that's usually corrected pretty easily by NFL coaching. The problem with a lot of QB's coming out of college these days is that they are hyped because they are dual-threats, and people ignore the fact they can't complete simple 5 yard outs, see the middle of the field, and stand in the pocket rather than bolting. There are a lot of fundamentally garbage QB's being drafted high who can't do simple things well, and if they don't have than nailed by 21,22,23 then they never will. Maye needs a lot of polish, but I have no concerns about a talent deficiency. I think in 2-3 years he could easily be a top 5 NFL QB.

Daniels is harder to read IMO. I think he's potentially boom or bust and he does look a bit on the skinny side for me for a player who likes to take off a lot, but maybe getting his bell rung a few times will calm that down a bit.

33 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Absolutely hilarious pick from the Falcons, utter head scratcher, no idea what they were thinking.

Penix and Nix are both very good college QBs, but I didn't see either of them as top 10 draft picks. 

Looked to be some laugh last night!

The most baffling thing about it isn't the fact it's a massive reach on a guy who should probably have gone about 50 picks later at the earliest, but the fact they play in a garbage Division that is up for grabs right now, and could easily have taken a grip on it with an extra contributor right now, but instead they've chosen a guy who they are presumably going to sit for 1.5-2 years, giving N.O., Tampa, and even Carolina added time to sort their shit out and get better. Just mind-numbingly stupid when they could have taken Odunze or had their pick of every single Defensive prospect.

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Plenty of opinions on whether or not it was a good use of #5.

On the one hand he was the best OL on the board.

Only 21 years old.

It gives depth to the squad and will be interesting to see if he plays RT. Seems to be a good athlete and has moved from QB (HS) to TE then OT in college. So should have the mentals to switch sides?

He can also boost the run game.

Downside seems to be the WRs that were let go. However there is still talent available in the next round or so.

Interesting call. A little Conservative. Will it work out in the grander scheme? I think it could.

I have no issues with the calibre of player taken, I just question the wisdom of taking a career LT when you already have an upper echelon LT on the roster about to play out his 4th year. Slater did play a lot of RT at Northwestern, so if you are going to switch one of them then Slater would make sense, however, I question the wisdom of uprooting a set, convincing starter to accommodate a Rookie at a testing and vital position, and there is also the fact that Slater will be looking for an extension right about now, so if you do switch him he's still going to want premium Left Tackle money anyway, and if you try to lowball it the only option remaining is the Franchise route and a guaranteed pissed off player. They are also paying Pipkins $9m per to play RT, and he graded out as middle-of-the-pack last year and is not the liability a lot of Chargers fans make out. The Chargers OL horrors were all OC/OG-related last season, and as much as I get the thinking behind "book-ends, road-graders" etc etc, so far they appear to be banking on improved coaching and development of existing players to overcome that massive problem, while they've spent #5 on an area that wasn't a problem and created a massive headache for themselves in the process.

I'll wait to see what they do today and tomorrow, because while I could live with JPJ at #37, that would make it 3x 1st round picks + potentially a 2nd rounder on the Chargers OL while Herbert has the square root of f**k-all to throw at. I'm gearing up for another disappointment when Harbaugh insists on taking Blake fucking Corum about 80 picks too early. Presumably they plan to "protect" Herbert by running off-tackle about 60 times per game.

Edited by Boo Khaki

My only real complaint about taking Alt is we could have traded back and got Latham or Fuaga and i don't think there would be that much of a drop off in talent. Using the fact he's only played LT is probably the weakest argument against it, almost nonsensical. It's the same position with only slight differences, not like they are asking him to play linebacker, guys switch coming out of college all the time. 

Didn’t stay up for the draft, but have caught up with all the coverage through the day.

Thought most teams did alright apart from the Falcons (an astonishing draft pick) and the Broncos (reaching for a very mediocre QB).

For the Raiders, I’m happy enough with the Brock Bowers pick. TE wasn’t really a need, but reports seem to suggest he was one of the better players in the draft and will be a really good weapon for whoever we have at QB.

5 hours ago, Super_A said:

My only real complaint about taking Alt is we could have traded back and got Latham or Fuaga and i don't think there would be that much of a drop off in talent. Using the fact he's only played LT is probably the weakest argument against it, almost nonsensical. It's the same position with only slight differences, not like they are asking him to play linebacker, guys switch coming out of college all the time. 

Harbaugh and Hortiz have confirmed Slater is the locked-in LT, and the plan all along was to draft Alt to play RT. 

To be honest, that just makes me all the angrier. Drafting a fucking RT at #5 with the needs and obvious holes on this roster.

It isn't really the same position, because most players strongly favour one side of their body just like every other human being. It doesn't matter how hard you train and hit the weight room to even muscle mass out, your brain still instinctively favours one side. All your movements are mirror-image, but you'll still favour putting your weight on your favoured foot, pushing with your favoured arm and so on. Footballers have to work their entire careers are developing their weaker foot and forcing their brain to stop instinctively shying away from using it. It's akin to taking a right-handed boxer and expecting him to suddenly box Southpaw. If Alt is naturally Right-handed, then switching should actually be ok for him, but moving from one side of the OL to the other isn't a case of struggling with assignments and so on, it's adapting to the fact that you suddenly have to reverse absolutely everything you were doing previously, and mould your brain to get to grips with that.

If they really, really wanted a RT then they should have traded down, and I'm having a hard time believing there wasn't a suitable deal on offer because anything would be a bonus over what we have, which is a pair of Left Tackles, a veteran Right Tackle we already had under contract, and no extra picks.

The only way I can see this pick really paying off is if they have already decided they aren't paying Slater and Alt is his replacement, but even then that is premature, and on ability there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to forego offering Slater a second contract. If we go WR at #37 and pick up Tyler Boyd after May or something, then it makes passing on Nabers and Odunze a bit easier to swallow, but still, I fundamentally disagree with the entire plan of taking a player at #5 and then moving him out of the position he played his entire college career, especially when it isn't a desperation situation. The WR room absolutely is, because Palmer is really just an NFL standard #3 WR, and god knows if QJ will even be on the field by October. If he sucks as badly as he did as a rookie then Harbaugh will not persist with him, although to his credit there were little signs in the games Stick started that he was beginning to get some things together. I think Herbert genuinely was reluctant to throw at him because of the clunkers in GB and NE, although there were other less obvious instances of QJ destroying Herbert's faith before that, the INT on the comeback v's Dallas when he was actually in a better position than the DB to make a play on the ball springs to mind. Stick wasn't as picky, but that was also a bit forced by KA13 missing December, so Stick didn't have a lot of choice but to chuck it at QJ. I hated the QJ pick at the time, because he looked every bit like a typical TCU/Texas player, all physicals, raw, and questionable mental aptitude. I didn't see anything from him prior to December to think I was wrong, but he is still young and sometimes WR's do take until their 3rd or even 4th year to really get it together.

Edited by Boo Khaki

You are massivley over reacting to the LT/RT thing, it's a complete non issue.

The only way I can see this pick really paying off is if they have already decided they aren't paying Slater and Alt is his replacement

This is obvious nonsense tbh. If he turns into a quality RT, then it's a good pick.