Do you say "bless you" when someone sneezes?

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, dagane said:

My nearly always involuntary tendency is to sneeze eleven times (canny help it,it's just how it happens) not normally a problem till I'm going round the bellfield roundabout at 30 mph

Greenie for the mention of the bellfield roundabout.

Just now, mathematics said:

Greenie for the mention of the bellfield roundabout.

Thankfully the traffic is all going the same direction , makes me less of a menace

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

Back when I still lived in deepest darkest Ayrshire a friend of a friend who was very staunch would go mental if you said bless you after he sneezed, he'd rant away "say God bless you, bless you is fur cafliks" what a tool eh? The c**t had never been to church in his life.

Of course anytime I was in his company I would hope he sneezed so I could bless him😁

I used to work with a guy who played for Deadco in his youth and he said that he got a bollocking from one of the senior players for saying "bless you" when they sneezed. 

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

I used to work with a guy who played for Deadco in his youth and he said that he got a bollocking from one of the senior players for saying "bless you" when they sneezed. 

I'll start the betting with Boab Malcolm.

14 hours ago, BFTD said:

Trying to imagine if we all made the Godzilla roar every time we sneezed.

Every fart should be preceded by the big booming doom notes of the original Godzilla theme, especially the tiny innocuous ones.

It is not unknown for people to sneeze and fart at the same time so you could get the roar and the tune simultaneously 

4 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

I was always told it goes back to the Middle Ages and a religious person such as a monk or priest said bless you to people who sneezed because it was believed that was your soul trying to leave your body and a bless you absolved you so it stayed. 

My soul is shrunken, blackened husk of a thing now. It can leave if it wants. Let it make its own way in the world. 

Short, but unpleasant tale within. You have been warned.

Spoiler

Took my maw to the cinema this week. She's quite old now, with the requisite health problems that age brings. During a particularly exciting scene where Jason Statham kicked the shit out of everyone, she sneezed and threw up an alarming amount of phlegm all over herself.

"Bless you" was substituted for "Jesus Christ, are you alright?"