Do you say "bless you" when someone sneezes?

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

In answer to the OP, no I don't and actually don't want anyone else to say it to me as I feel that I need to thank them.

Those who make a massive noise/shout when they sneeze should be herded up and dumped on Ailsa Craig. Absolutely no need for it. Generally speaking, one or two sneezes is fine but anyone who goes three, four or more times sniffing and rubbing their nose in between times, without using a hanky are rank.

Was once sat next to a guy on a train who sneezes through his nose. Thankfully he had a handkerchief and each sneeze morphed into a blow of the nose. It was bizarre.

Tad extreme but I agree with the sentiments. 

Making a loud noise when you sneeze is scientifically proven to be learned behaviour, it's not a natural thing to do, people are just seeking attention. 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

How else do folk sneeze?!

Through their mouth. Most of the air comes out your mouth.

22 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

Blessed are the sneeze makers.

We are the bogie makers... and we are the sneezers of sneezes.

I'm a 'bless you' guy. Not religious and don't think I'm actually blessing anyone but saying excuse you is slightly ruder by comparison. Implies that the person has done something that needs to be excused by another.

One time I sneezed into my hands on a bus and effectively just spat a big greener right into them. Thankfully the seat next to me was empty so just smeared it on there for someone else to deal with.

10 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

One time I sneezed into my hands on a bus and effectively just spat a big greener right into them. Thankfully the seat next to me was empty so just smeared it on there for someone else to deal with.

Current NHS guidelines are that you should sneeze into your elbow and not your hands.

Just for future reference. 

My nearly always involuntary tendency is to sneeze eleven times (canny help it,it's just how it happens) not normally a problem till I'm going round the bellfield roundabout at 30 mph

13 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

It's impossible to keep your eyes open when you sneeze. This is to stop them popping out. 

#sciencebitch

Myth

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

People say it because the Pope thought it would protect people from death. As good a reason as any to distance yourself from the saying. 

I thought it was because of the plague. 

Where I'm from, it was beaten into you. If you didn't say bless you, you would get a wallop.

Please and thank you was also beaten into us and even though yes you should say please and thank you, I use it too much. Things like ordering a subway sandwich is especially horrific. Please and thank you to every option. I sound either mental or sarcastic.

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

People say it because the Pope thought it would protect people from death. As good a reason as any to distance yourself from the saying. 

I'm fairly sure it's a hangover from the black death, which started out as cold symptoms. The "bless you" is people giving others the last rites. 

Back when I still lived in deepest darkest Ayrshire a friend of a friend who was very staunch would go mental if you said bless you after he sneezed, he'd rant away "say God bless you, bless you is fur cafliks" what a tool eh? The c**t had never been to church in his life.

Of course anytime I was in his company I would hope he sneezed so I could bless him😁

44 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm fairly sure it's a hangover from the black death, which started out as cold symptoms. The "bless you" is people giving others the last rites. 

It's also where the nursery rhyme "Ring-a-ring-a-roses", referenced by @Venti, upthread, comes from. A sneeze was apparently the first sign of the bubonic plague (as I like to tell other people when they sneeze) and if the sneezer was famous. a good indicator to update your Dead Pool spreadsheet. A ring of roses round the neck or a pocket full of posies was supposed to ward off the dreaded lurgi. "We all fall down" is pretty self-explanatory.

55 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

It's also where the nursery rhyme "Ring-a-ring-a-roses", referenced by @Venti, upthread, comes from. A sneeze was apparently the first sign of the bubonic plague (as I like to tell other people when they sneeze) and if the sneezer was famous. a good indicator to update your Dead Pool spreadsheet. A ring of roses round the neck or a pocket full of posies was supposed to ward off the dreaded lurgi. "We all fall down" is pretty self-explanatory.

I was always told it goes back to the Middle Ages and a religious person such as a monk or priest said bless you to people who sneezed because it was believed that was your soul trying to leave your body and a bless you absolved you so it stayed.