Clyde vs Aberdeen

32 minutes ago, maccanee said:

Wit?

I enjoyed when the commentators said something along the line of, "I've never known Carswell to play at centre back".

He played the whole of last season there, including a game which was on BBC in the cup (think it was Alba but still...).

8 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I enjoyed when the commentators said something along the line of, "I've never known Carswell to play at centre back".

He played the whole of last season there, including a game which was on BBC in the cup (think it was Alba but still...).

He has shown nothing since coming in, (he's not the only one to be fair). For anyone to suggest he has been one of our better players is laughable. If Clyde need an unfit, slow and indecisive centre half, I'd do it for free. I'd manage 45 mins into the bargain. 

51 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

Fair play to Clyde tonight.

Hope they get relegated.

Not hard to see how you lot are as far down the premiership, if Miovski goes then my god yous are fucked. 

I thought Aberdeen were one of the poorest "big" teams we have played against. Really one-paced and not particularly physical either. Usually these teams overrun us with pace and power on top of their technical ability. Obviously the class told with the opening goal but they looked like they were missing quite a bit of spark. Their number 14 was more than a bit lucky to get away with a coward's challenge on Grant; no idea how the referee waved play on.

We huffed and puffed and put effort in. Could easily have got a goal. You'd hope only really four or five of those would be starting in our team come the end of January. 

Content enough with that tonight. Missing three of our better players in Leitch, Hamilton and Cuddihy due to injury/being cup-tied we competed well enough with the players we had out there. We didn’t always use the ball terribly well but in the second half there were a few times where we’d actually passed through Aberdeen’s press before picking the wrong option which is where we really missed Cuddihy and Leitch the most. We had to do a lot of defending and did most of it pretty well, limiting Aberdeen to few clear chances. Two great finishes for the Aberdeen goals and Young’s effort was really unlucky too. We didn’t have an awful lot further up the pitch (not for the first time this season) and a striker is a position I believe we’re trying to strengthen in but it’s always going to be difficult in a game like tonight.

The most important things are we avoided injuries to key players, put in a decent performance and have some of the red and white Pound in the bank.

I have just about thawed out.

I certainly wouldn't say that we were good tonight, but it is a case of 'job done' and we move on. It was important to score when Miovski did, because with Clyde hitting the post and us lacking guile against their low block, it was threatening to get a bit edgy.

In fairness, both goals were well taken and we had a couple of openings towards the end for three, especially when Morris went through, which we wasted. When the likes of McGrath and Barron did inject a bit of invention, and Shinnie and Polvara carried the ball forward from midfield, we did pose more of a threat and looked less one-dimensional. I would definitely have liked to have seen more of those things, but all that really mattered tonight was a win - and preferably without any unnecessary dramas.

Maybe a decent enough outcome tonight for both sides. Aberdeen didn't get another shock and Clyde continued to show signs of improvement generally.

I feared the worst when I saw the Clyde line up, however that performance tonight was organised, largely competent within the realistic game parameters, and resembled an actual football team playing a far better side but managing it well enough to not get embarrassed - all this with only one non-McLean 'era' player (maybe two if we include the return of Ray Grant).

Almost glad just to get the cup out the way and get league games to try get this deficit reduced.

We didn’t trouble Aberdeen other than the shot that hit the post, and that for me is the most disappointing part of the night. We had a decent bit of the ball, but often just punted it aimlessly. We need 3-4 in at least. 

As for Aberdeen, it’s job done without much of an issue. However, going forward without Miovski I think there’s a problem. Robson will need a few results and soon, he was going mental at a few decisions that clearly weren’t up for debate. 

My prediction is that Robson is emptied before the end of February, and Aberdeen see themselves into the top 6 because everyone else is pish. 

Just home and haven’t seen any of it back. Felt really unstressed for the whole match and we could/should have scored more but we wanted to walk the ball into the net. Only complaints I have are the weather, baltic, and the fact that the seats were back to front from the map on the AFC website, which confused me and my son briefly. Now we can sit back the whole weekend and laugh where appropriate.

If that Clyde effort against the post had gone in:

1 Aberdeen would have thought 'Darvel!', panicked, and lost 1-0, or...

2 Aberdeen would have upped their game and scored several?

2 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

If that Clyde effort against the post had gone in:

1 Aberdeen would have thought 'Darvel!', panicked, and lost 1-0, or...

2 Aberdeen would have upped their game and scored several?

If that shot had gone in, Aberdeen would most definitely upped their  game. I was at the Darvel game as well, and there was no similar feel to the match last night. Darvel played really well for the entire match and Clyde were nowhere near that level.

Darvel had won 5-2 at Montrose and went through a spell of being at least lower Championship standard . We also had a perfectly good equaliser scandalously disallowed - which doesn’t excuse anything, but somewhat changes the narrative and the BBC repeating it ad nauseum.

I actually rated our performance against Annan’s Solway Firth select in the LC as even more incompetent, other than the extra time where we ran out easy winners.

For that reason last night was always a worry, but other than the bonnie piece of play from Clyde midway through the first half and a couple of late set piece flurries, things were comfortable enough against a stuffy organised opponent who will improve under McCall.

Our attacking and defensive corners need work, as does Morris’ decision making.

Hopefully Clyde get back to their homeland soon, having to groundshare in Hamilton must be as grim as it gets.